It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mig-21 Lancers of Romanian Air Force : 2 cool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
And oh,I don't think the IAF could just build a stealthy MiG-21,stealth is more than just cut some fabrics and paste them over a plane,to get real stealth you need to completely redesign the airframe.

true, but it significantly reduces the RCS. read the post. moreover its russian tech, the IAF did'nt build the stealthy Mig

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Oh well,either way the MiG-21s look cool...Maybe I'll use the money I get today (Chinese new year and red packets)
to buy a MiG-21 instead of the F-14 that I wanted to get...

Model plane of course!....Not the real plane

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Oh well,either way the MiG-21s look cool...Maybe I'll use the money I get today (Chinese new year and red packets)
to buy a MiG-21 instead of the F-14 that I wanted to get..

Model plane of course!....Not the real plane

no buy a israeli LAVI, you'll get a J-10 free with it

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Cheers,I will get a Lavi and put Chinese decals on it...if I can find one

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Cheers,I will get a Lavi and put Chinese decals on it...if I can find one

That's what the J-10 is anyway !!

BTW : cool Su pic

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
India announced that they will be buying F16's from the US to replace their Mig 21's

news.bbc.co.uk...

also check out

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Details of the Koyopo-M radar arming the bisons (large pic)

Kopyo was the first private venture radar by Phazotron. Drawing on technology developed for the Zhuk radar, Phazotron produced Kopyo as a lighter, smaller radar suitable for equipping trainers and light attack aircraft as well as for upgrading older aircraft like the MiG-21. It uses both high PRF and medium PRF modes for optimum detection and tracking at all aspects. Kopyo weighs 120kg, occupies 250dm3, with a 500mm antenna that achieves 29dB gain. Tracking limits of the radar are ±40°. Kopyo has 2 recievers, and transmits with a peak power of 5kw, 1kw average. It uses an MPS data processor, and a TS175 digital computer. Its MTBF is 120 hours. Kopyo has an air-to-air track-while-scan ("SNP") mode, it tracks 10 targets, and engages 2 simultaneously. The simultaneous engagement capability has been demonstrated. It retains a single target track mode. Search range is 57km headon and 25 - 30 km pursuit, with a tracking range of 45km, against a 3 sq m RCS target. It has vertical scan, automatic HUD scan (+- 14°), optical (pilot selected target on HUD) and helmet close combat modes. Air-to-surface operating modes are comprehensive, something Phazotron only introduced in the current crop of radar designs. There are three mapping modes; low resolution (real beam); medium resolution (Doppler beam sharpening, 10:1); high resolution (synthetic aperture, 100:1). Allows detection of moving ground targets, sea surface search, map freezing and interfaces with the Kh-31A antiship missile for target handoff.

Air-to-air operating mode

1. Detection range (Ddet), km:

- against free airspace:
head-on >50
in pursuit >30
- against surface background:
head-on >50
in pursuit >25

2. Single target detection and tracking range 0.75 Ddet
3. Track-while-scan with simultaneous engagement of two targets
4. Air-to-air missile targeting and launch zone generation
5. Close air combat in the following modes of radar operation

- vertical
- collimating
- visual, with the helmet-mounted target designator used
- interfacing with the helmet-mounted target designator
- interfacing with the R-27, RVV-AE and R-73E missiles
- radar built-in test

Air-to-surface operating mode:

- mapping:
low resolution (real beam)
medium resolution (Doppler sharpening beam)
high resolution (synthetic aperture)
- interfacing with the Kh-31A antiship missile
- detection of moving ground targets

[edit on 31-5-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Here are the upgrade specifications of the MiG-21 Bison :

The upgrade consists of Super Kopyo X-band pulse Doppler radar and RVV-AE (AA-12 Adder) beyond visual range missiles and PGMs., new nosecone, new canopy, single-piece windshield and new canopy made of stressed acrylic composites, Sextant's TOTEM RLG-INS with NSS-100P GPS embedded GPS receivers, El-Op HUD, infrared search and track system (IRST) from Russia's URALs optical-mechanical plant, two Sextant MFD-55 LCD displays, autopilot, radar warning receivers (RWR), digital flight data recorder, new liquid air cooling system, HOTAS controls, stores management system, digital air data computer system, short range radio navigation system, new HF/VHF/UHF radios, twin conformal Vympel flare dispensers (26mm, 120 rounds) and a new electric power supply system. Reportedly the new RWR to be fitted, is an indigenous system developed by DRDO and goes by the name Tarang(this RWR is also used aboard the Su-30MKI)

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is now adding stealth modifications to an existing $340m programme to upgrade 125 of its MiG-21bis fighters to MiG-21-93 standard. Extensive tests to demonstrate Russia's ability to upgrade Indian fighter aircraft with stealth capabilities took place in front of Indian defence ministry officials at the Sokol aircraft plant in Nizhniy Novgorod on 29th May 2000. The demonstration was highly successful and is understood to have resulted in the Russian government and RSK MIG urging the IAF to adopt the stealth modifications across its MiG-21-93 fleet.

The core of the demonstration saw two MiG-21bis--one upgraded with stealth technology and one without--being tracked by what is believed to be a Mig-31 in a controlled test of radar-absorbent materials (RAM) and coatings developed at the Moscow Institute of Applied and Theoretical Electrodynamics. During its flight the radar signature of the upgraded Mig-21bis was shown to be between 10 and 15 times weaker than the regular MiG-21bis.

That is not all, apart from carrying the deadly AA-11 "Archer" that arms the MiG-29 and longer range AA-10 Alamo BVR AAMs, Bison pilots will have the SURA helmet mounted sight, used by Flanker pilots. Now with this combination, it would mean that the MiG-21, flying faster than all F-16 variants would “schlemm” an F-16 as well as the Luftwaffe MiG-29s did.

^^Close up of the RVV-AE active BVRAAM carried by the MiG-21 Bison

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaranGani
Ha ha Fine i can understand government upgrading their existing Mig 21's to keep them operational. But come one the Mig 21 is such an old design it will never match a dogfight with newer air craft.I could prob shoot one down with a BB Gun

[edit on 8-2-2005 by SaranGani]

You some funny guy!!!
I would seriously love to see a video of you and your little bb gun engaging a mig 21 of any vintage and configuration. There's not a chance in hell you could make that shot.

You must understand that not every country has a military industrial complex that is subsidized by gullible, yet generous taxpayers. Smaller countries must make do WITH WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD TO BUY.

Do you remember the Soccer War?

Soccer War

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The tube is the pitot tube. It's how you get readings on airspeed, altitude, things like that. You cover it on the ground because it has very sensetive little holes in it that are easy to block, and if that happens, you're in a world of hurt.

There was a South American 757 that crashed because the mechanics put a strip of tape over the sensor on the fuselage, and forgot to remove it, and when they got airborne they couldn't tell how high they were, or if they were wings level, or climbing/diving or anything, until they finally flew it into the water thinking they were at 1600 feet.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
ah.. yes.. the cockpit of the Bison must be shown to chinaawhite.. He thought it was much more pathetic than what I see in that pic..

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
why are you talking about me?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Stealth Spy

That is the cockpit of a Romanian LanceR C and not of a Bison

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This was an interesting read. As I remember Stealthspy was comparing the MiG-21 favourably with the F-22 in regards to its RCS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join