a reply to: D8Tee
I hope the government gets this one right. The previous Conservative regime set up the current medical MJ system and it has a lot to be desired. If
you are going to use medical MJ in Canada legally, here is the process:
- You obviously need to obtain a prescription. There are specialized clinics that do this (and make tons of money)
- You need to sign up with a licensed producer and that is the only place you can legally get your product from (they make ton's of money)
- Licensed producers are often out of products but you cannot go elsewhere (legally) ... If you want to change your licensed producer before your
prescription is up, you can but it is quite the process and you are charged a fee (someone is making money)
- Some licensed producers are really just a front for recreational distribution (... come on Snoop Dog product at a hefty price ?!? ... what does
Snoop dog really know about MS, epilepsy, fibromyalgia and the other conditions that medical MJ is used to treat ... again someone is making a lot of
- Even though it is medical it is subject to HST (our combined national / provincial sales tax) ...and again someone's making a ton of money.
- The government refuses to assign a DIN# to it (potentially saving you money as health insurance may then cover it)
- There is so much paper work and red tape but up that it is nearly impossible to grow your own (preventing LP's from losing money and you saving
... As you can see, the current system is basically a system where lots of money is being made. After HST is added in along with shipping, the price
of MJ on the street is a lot cheaper than medical MJ.
Now in defense of the system there are a couple good things:
- You know exactly what you are getting and it is not laced with something nasty like Fentanyl or contain filler like parsley
- Health Canada tests the product regularly and gives is a CBD and THC percentage rating. I like the CBD product as it works wonders for my
condition. If I had THC in my system during the day I would not be able to drive or work. When my CBD product shows up in the mail, I can be
absolutely positive I can consume it, and not have the THC effects that I personally don't like and have normalcy throughout my day.
... anyway just my thoughts on how the current medical MJ system is working in Canada.