It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NoHo school budget cuts due to high white student percentage sparks outrage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What the heck is wrong with our country? They are cutting funding to a school because there are too many white students! This is absolutely ludicrous! I could see if non whites were denied access to the school but give me a break. Can you imagine the outrage if it were because of too many African American or Latino students? There would be rioting in the streets! No school should have its budget cut based on race. The world of political correctness has gone off the deep end. We need to educate our adults on what it means to be caring and compassionate to all. You cannot just step on one group for the benefit of another(others).

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Outrage has grown at Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, as the school faces layoffs and increased class sizes due to a law limiting funds for schools with a higher white student body.

It is time to change the law.

The racial formula was a condition imposed by court decisions dealing with desegregation in the 1970s.

At least someone is trying to do the right thing.

In an attempt to lessen the budget cuts, the district changed the school's spending formula to one based on the number of students. "Thankfully we're going to keep our librarian. We're going to keep our nurse, but we may lose a few teachers, but not as many as we once thought," said Sheila Edmiston, one student's parent. Several jobs will still be lost and class sizes could grow. For many parents, the race-based reason of "too many white students" has made the cuts more difficult to swallow.

I hope all Americans can learn from this and realize that different communities have different ratios. In some inner city neighborhoods there are all or mostly all black schools and if someone were to suggest reduced funding because of too many black students they would be just as wrong. I think our society as a whole has gone crazy.

Was there ever a problem in America that necessitated some of these laws? Yes. Is that problem still as bad? No. We just had a black president for the last eight years!

Link
edit on 3/27/2017 by brutus61 because: added a link

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
in america the solution to inequality is generating more of it so that at some point, everyone will be equally unequal

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

Oh it is time to even the playing field silly. Let's get even with who ever is successful, in this case it is the whites.

Instead of raising up all the students, let's punish the whites becasuse they are white, you know to show how wrong it is to discriminate.
edit on 27-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Sounds like fake news outrage story to get ratings or viewers.

Here's the link to the story:

abc7.com...

There are obvious questions that arise from this story that are not answered. What passes as journalism these days is like something out of Idiocracy.

edit on 27-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: added link

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Oh it is time to even the playing field silly. Let's get even with who ever is successful, in this case it is the whites.

Instead of raising up all the students, let's punish the whites becasuse they are white, you know to show how it is wrong to discriminate.

Exactly! How can discrimination solve a discrimination problem?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Well ABC news is the primary source and the one linked in all of the other articles I read. I don't particularly care for their partisan reporting but this appears to be a non partisan issue.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61

Well ABC news is the primary source and the one linked in all of the other articles I read. I don't particularly care for their partisan reporting but this appears to be a non partisan issue.

What funding are we talking? Too many holes in the story. Looks like a fake outrage story.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

One of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this site! The information is easily verified.

Maybe it's just easier to ignore the truth.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

What funding are we talking? Too many holes in the story. Looks like a fake outrage story.

Since you seem to have missed this in the origonal post I will provide it again.

The racial formula was a condition imposed by court decisions dealing with desegregation in the 1970s.

You also added the same link I provided which makes me wonder if you read the post or article at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Did you read the article? Part of the funding being cut has to do with employee salaries.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

It probably sounds odd, but the policy did work. If you let things play out along income demographics you wind up with segregated schools which have been proven to perform worse.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
so , people dont even think. its only fake news when trump is involved.

what about schools in North Hollywood which are 90% white. or any schools for that matter, schools in regions that are predominantly white, or schools where only 1% of the student body are non-whites, why this 'budget cut' was never heard of for this reason.

its obvious whom this article and its tripe was meant to attract.

i live in south OC where most school are predominantly white, never heard of budget cuts for that reason.
no one questions why there has never been budget cuts for this reason until now.... or maybe think about, the budget cuts have nithing to do with the student demographics, maybe its a poor pathetic excuse by the school to cut pay for lower staff so the higher ups can get increased pay?

I dont know how old you are OP, or why you cant ask yourself why you havent heard any other middle schools do the same, or why schools where its 99% white, why they havent been 'victim' to this 'law'
or why you couldnt click on the author's past article and see the kind of straws he clutches onto to create drama in his archived articles.... or go to the school's website and check for this 'outrage' yourself instead of spreading it on ATS and possibly facebook and twitter, and spreading that misinfo to millions like minded as you...

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It probably sounds odd, but the policy did work. If you let things play out along income demographics you wind up with segregated schools which have been proven to perform worse.

I agree that something "was" necessary in the past and some kind of monitoring is still necessary to prevent things from slipping backwards. But to discriminate reversely is not at all acceptable.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Right, its not really the schools fault for who lives in the district, much less the fault of a bad advertising campaign to lure in minorities for some reason.

Wheres that meteor the doomsayers were talking about? Its time for another reset IMHO

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's not about affirmative action. Most things I've read have come at it from the racial angle, but I'm not sure that's even true. There's probably some value in ethnic diversity but I think the main goal of programs like this is to have socioeconomic diversity in the schools.

Believe it or not, it's actually the schools in southern states that are the most diverse. The biggest lack of diversity is in NYC and LA. Economic status largely breaks down along racial lines, so economically diverse schools also lead to racially diverse schools. But the same is also true in reverse, a school which is largely white is almost certainly going to have a significant funding advantage and be full of kids who are more wealthy.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

It seems to me that if the solution has been in effect for 30-40 years and isn't working, it's not really a solution. The problem is, anyone who fights against it is immediately classified as a racist. Simple solutions to complex problems rarely prove efficacious.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

It has worked though, southern states have successfully integrated schools. Their schools still have other issues, but that's not one of them.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

It seems to me that if the solution has been in effect for 30-40 years and isn't working, it's not really a solution. The problem is, anyone who fights against it is immediately classified as a racist. Simple solutions to complex problems rarely prove efficacious.

Exactly. How long is long enough and time to find a plan that works in the here and now.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Meh, its Kalifornia..........who cares? If its a problem.......tell them to move or homeschool.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Since you seem to have missed this in the origonal post I will provide it again.

You also added the same link I provided which makes me wonder if you read the post or article at all.

Yes - - nothing new for CA.

There are tons of outreach programs to bring in kids from other areas.

If the school is doing this - - its doing it on purpose.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join