It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Ted Poe and the 10 Commandments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I just heard Ted Poe being interviewed about him resigning from the "Freedom Caucus". What a great name Freedom Caucus. Who would ever be against freedom? The thing is it's probably double speak and the freedom they are looking for is having the ability to screw the American people without government interference.

Regardless of their true intentions, Ted Poe said the reason he resigned is he did not like the compromises Republicans were making amongst themselves in the majority. He thought the healthcare bill was not right wing enough. He then made the following statement, "If you brought the 10 Commandments in front of the body they would vote it down." This statement got me thinking. I was thinking, of course they would vote down the 10 Commandments. And then I thought, wait a minute, does Ted Poe actually thinks breaking the 10 Commandments should be a felony. So let's review the 10 Commandments:

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall make no idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

So my question is which one of these should be a felony. Obvious we all agree on murder. But what #7? Should it be a federal crime with life in prison for committing adultery?

I don't understand what Poe was saying. Do you think he actually meant the 10 Commandments should be secular law?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The chances are, that much like every other peon from the political far right, Poe has no idea what he is talking about, which makes it damned difficult to figure out where he is coming from.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
He was using it as a metaphor, let me help you. No he doesn't want to make adultrey a felony, now go feel free to screw your best friends wife. It's ok, it's only Gods law not man's.

edit on 3 274727 1717 by WUNK22 because: Spell

edit on 3 274727 1717 by WUNK22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3 274827 1717 by WUNK22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
He was using it as a metaphor, let me help you. No he doesn't want to make adultrey a felony, now go feel free to screw your best friends wife. It's ok, it's only Gods law not man's.

Actually, what I find in my life, is the people who are most concerned about morality are the very ones who have the most outrageous behaviors. So unlike what you are implying, people who are not obsessed with morality actually can and do behave morally.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

No he doesn't want to make adultrey a felony, now go feel free to screw your best friends wife. It's ok, it's only Gods law not man's.

It is actually a felony crime in many states.

edit on 27-3-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No he doesn't want to make adultrey a felony, now go feel free to screw your best friends wife. It's ok, it's only Gods law not man's.

It is actually a felony crime in many states.

Do people go to jail for breaking the law?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Most states do not charge on this felony.

edit on 27-3-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Most states do not charge on this felony.

This sounds like the way a Republican administration will enforce banking regulations.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

This sounds like the way a Republican administration will enforce banking regulations.

I think you would be surprised to learn that many states that are considered liberal still have this law on the books like Massachusetts.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think 6-9 (inclusive) should be laws.
I have never committed adultery, so what do I care if it is illegal. Why should one man take another man's wife?
I guess most people would say that it isn't okay to take another person's children... what's the difference?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Poe hadn't studied up recently on what the Commandments actually say and was just politicizing them to prove his point.

top topics

join