It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new tech development program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
China has a new program to develop technologies that they feel they need in the future. The New York Times has reported that a number of Chinese firms that have ties to the Chinese government have been investing heavily in US tech startups. Government controls to protect high technology aren't working properly to prevent possible transfers. Companies being invested are working on things like rocket engines, sensors for autonomous ships, screens for fighter aircraft, and artificial intelligence.

In 2015, Chinese companies invested almost $10B in startups. The chairman emeritus of the Silicon Valley Bank was approached by three Chinese firms about investments. He said in all three cases they said they had a mandate from Beijing and no idea what they wanted to buy, just that they wanted any and all technology.

WASHINGTON — A report commissioned by the U.S. Department of Defense was circulated among senior Trump administration officials this week, stating that Beijing has been encouraging Chinese companies to invest in American startups.

According to the report, Chinese firms with strong ties to China’s government have increasingly been investing in companies with cutting-edge technologies, many of which have potential military applications, reported The New York Times.

According to three people knowledgeable about its contents, who spoke to The New York Times on the condition of anonymity, U.S. government controls that are intended to protect critical technologies are not working.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm glad you brought this up. Last year, I was reading about how china was going around buying up companies left and right.

I feel that this is a threat to our position, why do they need OUR startups? WHAT ABOUT THEIR CITIZENS? ARE THEY NO CAPABLE OF ACHIEVING THE INTELLECTUAL SUCCESS OF OUR CITIZENS?

I apologize for all caps, I get very heated and angry when it comes to the chinese infringing on our turf. This needs to be stopped now, No foreign communistic governments should be buying anything related to tech.

I get it, its hard to say no to a bunch of cash, but I'll be damned if the chinese just waltz in and take what they want.

Oh please President Trump, Please introduce measures that would have strict controls and screening.

I'll be keeping tabs of this thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Good news is we can develop technology with their money and give them lesser versions of what we come up with.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

West Coast, SF bay area, silicon valley, south bay has almost completely developed a new China Town. Some I think due to the construction of the New Apple mega headquarters, but mostly to keep their fingers on the pulse of ongoing tech development here.

imo

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Personally, I think they're damn smart for grabbing what they can, where they can. Their J-20 has been declared in service, with its first flight in 2011. The F-35 by comparison, first flew at the end of 2006, with the B model entering service in 2015, and the A model entering service late last year. The C model won't reach IOC until 2018 or 2019.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

They are not walzting in and taking what they want. They are buying products.

Shows that we are on top on the technological curve.
edit on 26-3-2017 by Elementone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm just damned afraid of the wrong tech falling into their hands. For off the shelf stuff, of course, I can see why.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

And it is. They hack what they can, and get all kinds of things they shouldn't have, as well as access to various tech stuff from places like Yugoslavia and Pakistan. This gets them in on the ground floor to areas that they can use for military and other development areas. And does it legally.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Elementone

The US and the UK have always had a its legal till its banned where as most other countries seem to operate a more you need permission to do that sort of thing....the internet was illegal in Italy for ages as no one had bothered to make it legal to use the phone for such services for example.

Why the hell do you think the UK took over at one point or another pretty much the entire globe? they didn't wait for approval from up above.

Now the Chinese/Japanese are great at shrinking and perfecting the idea but not so much on having that light bulb moment so they're off shopping for ideas with a large cheque book.

top topics

join