It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
A self driving Uber crashed and everyone's freaking out. This is new technology so it will not be perfect.

Uber Technologies Inc suspended its pilot program for driverless cars on Saturday after a vehicle equipped with the nascent technology crashed on an Arizona roadway, the ride-hailing company and local police said.

The accident, the latest involving a self-driving vehicle operated by one of several companies experimenting with autonomous vehicles, caused no serious injuries, Uber said.

Even so, the company said it was grounding driverless cars involved in a pilot program in Arizona, Pittsburgh and San Francisco pending the outcome of investigation into the crash on Friday evening in Tempe.

www.cnbc.com...

I think suspending the program is a mistake. I think Uber is spooked by the bad press it's been getting for other things. I think there should be a review and maybe suspend in Arizona but this shouldn't stop progress.

There were no injuries.

These things need to be put into perspective:

Road Crash Statistics. Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

asirt.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Uber is screwed if this self driving car thing takes years and years due to "glitches".

They need huge pools of new recruits to fuel their business, and people caught on to the low pay. Soooo, they need to get rid of the drivers so the wonderful gig-econ can continue, and Uber can rake in huge profits.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Yeah, gotta push along this tech.
driverless cars is a very desired thing. much cheaper than a taxi and will allow for a safer and more vibrant nightlife. learn from, improve, and continue on.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I agree, imagine having a car show up and drop you off, at work. That would be awesome.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I bet UBER either gets bought out or goes bankrupt by the end of the year. There business has taken a huge hit lately, and for them to suspend the one think that has the potential to keep the company afloat is a huge mistake. It will be interesting to see how this effects the company now.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I lived in Arizona for 2 years,drive down freeways,18 wheelers,cars etc,all texting and driving,all over the road,doesn't suprise me a tech car taken out,that place is scary and speed limit 70

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I lived in Arizona for 2 years,drive down freeways,18 wheelers,cars etc,all texting and driving,all over the road,doesn't suprise me a tech car taken out,that place is scary and speed limit 70

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

The accident occurred when the driver of a second vehicle "failed to yield" to the Uber vehicle while making a turn,

" failed to yeild " - thats a curious turn of phrase

my mind translates that as :

" the other vehicle made an illegal turn across a lane marking where the uber and right of way "

i cannot find a citation - but i remember reading an article that claimed that one potential flaw of a certain self driving tech was that an idiot driver could induce " paralysis " in the autonomous unit at junctions forcing it [ the autononous vehicle ] to stop "

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The suspension is pending the outcome of the investigation, which is fair.

As for the crash, the car was expecting the other driver to at least try to follow the rules. "Failed to yeild" means the other driver essentially cut it off. Odd that the vehicle didn't react well enough, though.

The one thing these cars will never have is an idiot sensor. On the road, mine goes off all the time. I can just look at a car and decide if that driver is dumb enough to do something stupid or not.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

It's a temporary suspension. It's actually the proper thing to do.

top topics

join