It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The "Still Developing Brain" In Teens is Cited For Reckless Driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Virginia lawmakers attempting to pass a law that would ban cell phone use by teenagers while driving has cited a recent study that indicates that the frontal lobes of the brain are the last to develop. The frontal lobes are said to develop at 25 or even later, according to current research. Maryland is also looking at putting restrictions on teenage drivers.

www.abcnews.go.com
Researchers studying the brain say the last section to develop — the frontal lobes — may not mature until a person is age 25 or beyond.

"The frontal lobes are sort of the executive center of the brain — the part of the brain that's responsible for planning, organizing, anticipating the consequences of one's actions," said Elizabeth Sowell, a UCLA neurophysiologist.

The research was cited by Virginia lawmakers who are pushing a bill to ban cell phone use by young teen drivers. A similar bill is up for debate in Maryland, along with a proposed measure to limit the number of passengers who can ride with a teen driver.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The frontal lobes are indeed a complex part of the brain, see link below, and it is probably wise to limit the experience of teenagers so that they can ease into responsibility. But, the study as cited is misleading because many factors can contribute to accidents, not just "teenage irrationality." I was not the greatest teenage driver, but I was more than adequate. Also, different people mature at different rates relating to their environment and parental influence......I think I would be interested in a regional breakdown of these statistics.

Related News Links:
www.neuroskills.com

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Lol, why can't we drop the PC nonsense and just call them what they are; stupid! It doesnt take a scientist to figure out that some 17 year old with a car full of friends and a ringing cellphone can't drive, its just common sense. For once I fully support this type of legislation and hope to see more of it in the future, especially if a nation-wide ban on cell phone usage while driving is ever put up on the chopping block.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Alot of the accidents now, at least in my area come from young people thinking their Honda Civic for example is a race car and that they are acomplished race car drivers. Street racing is super popular and glamorised in movies and video games.

Every week or so you hear about another kid who crashed his car while driving inapropriatley. I know this isn't a new thing, it was done when I was younger, (I'm 29) and I did some stupid things too, but street racing has exploded in popularity. And it's not just young drivers doing it, but the majority of them are teeneage or young 20's.

Of course as you said there are other reasons for young people having accidents, alot of it in inexperience or paying more attention to the stereo or the cellphone but thinking you can race or drive dangerously on city streets is a recipe for disaster.

My car was totalled out in 1999 by a guy who was racing another car and blew through a red light in front of me during broad daylight. They were never caught. So I know first hand how this can ruin their lives or the lives of anyone unfortunate enough to be hit.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think the states of this country should limit driving by teenagers as follows:

No one can get a license till they are 21 years old. Then to get a license you have to pass a driving class...and have insurance. No ne under that age should drive...they are all crazy drivers. They drive faster than their brains can work.

Anyone 21-25 with more than 4 points lost during a year should have their licenses revoked for a period of 1 year and then they have to pass a class to be able to get it back.

I know no one would like that but heck...we have to do something about these teen drivers that are careless/

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I could be behind upping the age to drive to 18, after all Highschoolers have no business out when they should but busting arse on schoolwork. I'm 21 heading on 22 in a few months now and have been driving since I turned 19 and I've never had a ticket, never recked my car, and the largest thing I ever ran over was a rabbit that decided to dart infront of me one night on the way to college. I don't get why people can't be responsible enough to not answer while they are driving or at least pull off the road, its not that hard a thing to do. Just about every phone has voice mail capability, so whats the harm in missing a call while your driving down the road? If a phone call is that important they will either call back or leave a message; picking up isint worth the damage it can do

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have seen young people who are more responsible than fully grown adults. I am 31. I don't buy the brain development theory. You've got 50 year olds driving drunk.

Troy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jalengrma
No one can get a license till they are 21 years old. Then to get a license you have to pass a driving class...and have insurance. No ne under that age should drive...they are all crazy drivers. They drive faster than their brains can work.

You kidding me?

Remember we live in a country that accepts most wierd things readily than teenagers without a car.

I have seen young people who are more responsible than fully grown adults. I am 31. I don't buy the brain development theory. You've got 50 year olds driving drunk.

Sorry buddy but the verdict was out a long time ago, our frontal lobes don't fully develop until your late twenties.

If you look up the accident rate vs. the amount driven (I think) of all ages, teenagers have one of the most highest rates, coming closely behind are old people, I mean about 70.

Surf

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

but the verdict was out a long time ago, our frontal lobes don't fully develop until your late twenties.

Actually that is only in the case of Aspies(Someone afflicted by Asperger's Syndrome, another nickname for this "condition" is the Einstein Syndrome as people with it are usually abnormally intelligent) Thier brains do not develope unti around the age of 26-30. Einstien was like that, as he had a very unspectacular education and was considered to abrasive to teach or become a research assistant so he got a job at the patent office, nice little niche to nuture his brain. Man if only all patent officials were future Einstiens...

Most people's brains(assuming no achohol or drug abuse in teen years of course) are fully developed by the age of 22-25. Reason I gave a range is because everyone is different and environmental factors play a large role as well. I'm lookling for the paper on this very subject right now. Will post the link wwhen I find it. It's rather old though(2+ years) so it might be a bit difficult to find...

Now my personal experiance with someone under 20 years of age or a "teenager". I have talked to teenagers as a teenager and back then it all made sense. Now when I have a conversation with a teen I can't but help but think that there mental factulities are somewhat lacking. Get Ideas into thier heads and don't let go easily(we see alot of that on ATS heh). Are also easily manipulated by people they trust(ie Thier Peers). So yeah 21 to get a licence yeah AFTER Driving school and the whole spiel as well as some basic Automechanics lessons too boot. Make it difficult so it feels like an achievment. Driving is not a right its a privalidge, and at least in Ontario the 401 is simple a corridor of death. I am exagerating a little but not much...
It's simply scary driving on that highway, and the worst offenders are from personaly observations, 1. Young White or Asian Male usually in the Street Racing "Underground" Crowd, 2. Middle-Eastern Immigrants who think they can drive the same way they did back home, ignorance of the rules mostly, but still dangerous.. Another Req should be a demonstrated ability to read the local language. 3. Middle Aged Soccer Moms talking on the celly
I could list about another 17 offenders to give you guys my top 20 and this is in no way to say that all of the above groups mentioned are dangerous drivers just a high percentage of them are.

Now all of the examples are just in my experiences with other people on the road and since I am always a passenger I pick up on these things more then the driver usually. Just food for thought ...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Most people's brains(assuming no achohol or drug abuse in teen years of course) are fully developed by the age of 22-25. Reason I gave a range is because everyone is different and environmental factors play a large role as well. I'm lookling for the paper on this very subject right now. Will post the link wwhen I find it. It's rather old though(2+ years) so it might be a bit difficult to find...

You sure about 22-25, becaue I am pretty sure I read in my Psych book that brain fully develop in the late twenties, and also the article says age 25 and beyond.

Either way, we are only couple of years off.

Surf

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The brain is not your intellegence. Your mind is not located in your brain. Documented cases of past lives are proof of this. I knew a 12 or so year old kid who smoked me in reading skills, and I am not a stupid guy. Fact. I was an A/B student for much of my schooling.

Troy

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
The brain is not your intellegence. Your mind is not located in your brain. Documented cases of past lives are proof of this. I knew a 12 or so year old kid who smoked me in reading skills, and I am not a stupid guy. Fact. I was an A/B student for much of my schooling.
Troy

Ofcoure not. The Force is the intelligence and force is not in the brain, right?

"Believe in the Force"

Surf

[edit on 2/2/2005 by surfup]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
The brain is not your intellegence. Your mind is not located in your brain. Documented cases of past lives are proof of this.

Don't want to sound anything but curious.....................Can you back this up? I can't quite grasp the logic here...........Force notwithstanding and all.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The scariest thing is when the kids are telling the parents how to drive, and to not talk on the phone while driving.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It's more of a spiritual thing, spirit, mind, and body being separate things. It has been observed many times that people have recollection of past lives. I understand that some will not believe this. You could probably find some documented cases, books, and literature with some research. You can probably find something by just typing "past lives" in a search engine.

Things like out of body experience show that there is something more to life than the body and the brain. People actually come outside their bodies aware and with vision, and may be doing things like hovering over themselves and looking down on their body. Their eyes are located down in the body, yet they are looking at themselves. Also, you can probably find documented cases, books, and literature with some research.

I understand the brain has it's own functions, but I think too much emphasis is placed on it. The basic person, you, isn't the brain.

Troy

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
You're welcome.

Take care.

Troy

top topics

join