It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help...04 pt turbo. high pitch, loud, deafening noise at 2krpm and under....Help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: TinySickTears

Try using a water hose to isolate the place .

You need to elaborate this statement. It acts like a stethoscope. I have used a large screwdriver to locate noses but I like your idea of a short section of water hose.

I first thought turbo bearings and still suspect them. It is a turbo isn't it?

Use the short section of hose. It will localize the noise.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'd still check for play in the impeller shaft at the very least. Should have very little to no play in it. Even if this isn't the problem its still peace of mind to know that your turbo seals/bearings are still in good shape. If they fail, they will grenade the engine... unless you get lucky.

I have a F350 powerstroke turbo diesel, and I check this once in awhile, because in a diesel if the turbo seals fail, you have a runaway situation that doesn't end pretty.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Just a thought - if the whistle slowly winds down after you shut it off, it does sound like a vaccuum thing.

Have a listen around your brake booster ... it too operates under vaccuum ...

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Try replacing the tensioner pully easy and cheap get a plastic one,they are quieter and last longer,just take them off they are reverse thread,easy fix

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

and what was it, in the end?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

and what was it, in the end?

lower intake manifold gasket.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
ah, probably needed some pressure to seal when cold.

my second guess would have been the "AGRV" in english it would sound something like "exhaust-backfeed-valve". It feeds back exhaust gases into the intake manifold for reburn but was not sure your PT has one. Those can make funny noises at times, and it engages around that RPM. They collect schmoo over time.

Mine sounds like a pov on full load, that´s why I asked what happens under load change. But since you found it...

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
ah, probably needed some pressure to seal when cold.

my second guess would have been the "AGRV" in english it would sound something like "exhaust-backfeed-valve". It feeds back exhaust gases into the intake manifold for reburn but was not sure your PT has one. Those can make funny noises at times, and it engages around that RPM. They collect schmoo over time.

Mine sounds like a pov on full load, that´s why I asked what happens under load change.
But since you found it...

egr valve

exhaust gas recirculation

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join