It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living With Sasquatches

page: 49
<< 46  47  48   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: blueyedevilwoman

Here is a video of a new night vision camera, granted it's filming in the open but dang...

edit on 19-4-2017 by LockNLoad because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LockNLoad

Here is a video of new night vision camera, granted it filming in the open but dang...

Whoa.... Now that is night vision!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

No, I didn't get a feeling of dread, or hear any discernible footsteps. I did get the feeling that the grunting I heard was intentional, like a warning to not come any closer. It was a little unsettling because I couldn't recognize what kind of animal was making it. What really hit me was the smell. It wasn't the musky smell of a deer or the smell of a wild pig...It was instantly repulsive enough to stop me in my tracks.

I've been back to that spot several times but never heard or smelled anything like that again.
In case anyone is interested, here is approx where it happened:

edit on 4/19/2017 by Sparky63 because: added pic

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The newer generation can see in all but total black

FLIR sees thermal energy.

You could take someone out in the woods and if they didn't get a hit, they'd blame it on some unique quality of BF's fur. Here's what a polar bear looks like in the IR spectrum.

FLIR is less like optoelectronics (which produces/enhances images in near-total darkness). FLIR OTOH sees heat (no heat = no image). Looks like some folks are about ready to cash in on blending those two technologies. The efforts I have personally seen to date are anything other than man-portable. I know I wouldn't want to hump something that expensive/heavy through the bush either.

A night vision (optoelectronics) device
has its limitations. They're not real comfortable (you don't get more comfortable wearing/using it as time progresses and it messes with your depth perception as it's monocular (in most cases). It collects light passively (IOW ... it's not going to be the cause of you being seen). Top-of-the-line products can be had in the $3K range (so they're Very affordable compared to FLIR ... which was going for over $10K the last time I checked).

Each of the technologies has their advantages and limitations.

Optoelectronics: one-eyed vision that needs a little movement to pick out a target in a cluttered environment. If you can't see BF in a daylight environment, NightVision probably isn't going to help. And, no one's gonna be looking for BF deep in underground tunnels without an IR flashlight in their kit.
FLIR: you can't hide in a clear field of view. Any motion is really gonna draw attention, even if your heat signature is somewhat masked.

As for those comments about Game Cameras: They're noisy. They make electronic sounds when they activate. Critters clutter around them out of curiosity, but they're not usually malicious. I'd not leave one intact on my property that I didn't own ... and maybe BF thinks the same way.

-Cheers

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63
What really hit me was the smell. It wasn't the musky smell of a deer or the smell of a wild pig...It was instantly repulsive enough to stop me in my tracks.

Gators can drag some stank crap up out of the water and they make surreal noises ... always in the dark. This is great stuff to scare the ever-loving' bajeesus out of kids with.

I've also been downwind of a bear that was godawfulest smelling thing in the forest. Damned scavengers will get into anything and wear it until Mother Nature washes it off.

Heck ... I've had to leash my dogs off the main property because they've been skunked or (once) gotten into a bunch of rotting fish forgotten down by the lake.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

My quote was just referring the the new generation of night vision like the one in the video I posted.

FLIR does still use IR doesn't it ? I claim no expertise in night optics so just asking for knowledge.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

FLIR does still use IR doesn't it?

It's a bit confusing ... and I may not have explained away what confuses most folks.

The FLIR technologies you and I are talking about are passive. There is no flashlight effect. It is a sensor which sees 'heat' in the IR spectrum (which is to the right of the human/visible light spectrum).

Night Vision technologies (the helmet thingy above) gather minuscule amounts of light onto a sensor for display (you're pretty much seeing a camera image in real time). Sometimes, these devices are used in conjunction with a light source. In military OPs, that light source is projected in the IR range so as to not give away the positions of the operators ... or ... to blind the optics by flooding them with too much light in the visible light spectrum. They're really cool to operate when people are using lasers in the area, because you can see the laser beam running out for miles and miles.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Ahhh... I think I get, so the FLIR has no "flashlight" effect, so if my belief that sasquatchs can see IR then a FLIR would be (in theory) invisible to them.

I used a starlight scope in training in the Marines (mid 80s) and I remember them saying how it gathered any and all ambient light and enhanced it.

Cool tech, and thank you for the information

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
SigSauer Echo 1 - thermal weapon mounted reflex sight - $1,999

Flir scout TK for under $600

lets party!

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48   >>

join