It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube loses millions as advertising row reaches US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Major brands including Verizon and Walmart pulled their ads after they were found to be appearing next to videos promoting extremist views or hate speech

link

TextAlphabet stock slid for the third time in four days as investors continued to worry about how serious the damage from the YouTube problems will be. At least one analyst downgraded Alphabet stock earlier this week after reports of big brand advertisers pulling away from YouTube and Google Display Network because their ads were being placed with offensive videos, particularly content that promotes hate or terrorism.

link

TextAccording to Schmidt, it is possible for computers to solve the issue of dealing with extremist videos as well as fake news.

“My own view on most of this sort of extremist things as well as fake news in general is that it’s essentially a ranking problem. We’re very good at detecting what’s the most relevant and what’s the least relevant. It should be possible for computers to detect malicious, misleading and incorrect information and essentially have you not see it.”

Though Schmidt does not see this as censorship, saying, “We’re not arguing for censorship, we’re arguing just take it off the page, put it somewhere else.”

link

It looks like big corporations are now pulling their weight more openly. By pulling advertising from YouTube and Google this will have more effects to censorship on the Web. The big tech companies are just going to hide or remove any thing they see as alternative news.

I believe we have finally reached the threshold of freedom on the web. I guess it was only a matter of time with big websites being highly commercialized gradually throughout the years. We are now seeing how big corporations can help influence the narrative through wealth.

With the amount society depends on the web for their daily lives and the combination of A.I. and sophisticated algorithms, it won't be to hard to weed out what isn't considered mainstream news.

What will be the resistance to this if any? Are we almost certainly headed towards a minority report type of society? Will there be a Internet 2.0 that doesn't use the advertising model?

We have already seen the effect of crypto currency. It will be interesting to see what creative minds will come up with going forward.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Eventually, the internet will just be another status quo tool. It's unfortunate, but inevitable.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
They must be sick of all those SJW Cringe videos.

I'm surprised Google hasn't already been banning them.

Perhaps here we have a ploy, an orchestrated pretext to...

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RayTheWizardLiotta

Is it me or is the irony of this and those who are so adamantly AGAINST the Corporations (ie the 1%) mind boggling?

Don't get me wrong, the Corporations have a right to do what they are doing, but as a consumer? I want to know which ones are doing it, so I can NEVER buy one of their product EVER!

When Corporations become PC? I am done with them and their products!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Google won out from altavista because it was perceived as open and free from advertisements and censorship. So google knows it has to walk the razor edge carefully or it too will be ousted.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Paul Joseph Watson does a long tirade on what is happening and the who and why.. A few cuss words so those who get triggered avoid. youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I can't see it being a big deal with wal-mart sales. Someone is going to quit shopping there because of an ad on a certain page with something they don't like? Since when do many average people vote with their money.

I think it is wal-mart management using money to control what gets shown based on their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
They must be sick of all those SJW Cringe videos.

I'm surprised Google hasn't already been banning them.

Perhaps here we have a ploy, an orchestrated pretext to...

Those cringe videos are what keep me getting up in the morning

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Is it me or is the irony of this and those who are so adamantly AGAINST the Corporations (ie the 1%) mind boggling?

Don't get me wrong, the Corporations have a right to do what they are doing, but as a consumer? I want to know which ones are doing it, so I can NEVER buy one of their product EVER!

When Corporations become PC? I am done with them and their products!

Well I think most of them are bildeberger/globalist. If they are using their wallets than that is the consumers weapon as well.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Paul Joseph Watson does a long tirade on what is happening and the who and why.. A few cuss words so those who get triggered avoid. youtu.be...

That video pretty much sums it perfectly. Everyone should watch that.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well, the business model for for Google et al is based on advertising. If Google and YouTube are incapable of acting to satisfy their customers by controlling the (frankly) disgraceful levels of violent content which just so happens to impact advertisers, then that's their commercial loss.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Yes, because Google needs their ad space.

Wait no, they don't...

Google is on the ball trying to provide smaller local services, but naturally because Verizon and Wal-Mart hates them, the boycott cabal is on board for some reason constantly with Google.

Google is like the air company to the consumer market. You can't boycott Google. Google could run off donations, the fact it makes billions of dollars is actually irrelevant.

Even if you did, you don't think an equivalent search engine would replace them? In your mind, supporting Wal-Mart is what drives this? I don't get the analogy. Boycott wal-mart. What idiot doesn't know about Wal-mart.com? People that shop online know to avoid walmart, and go directly TO walmart.com when needing to use it anyway, without the aide of Google.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Google won out from altavista because it was perceived as open and free from advertisements and censorship. So google knows it has to walk the razor edge carefully or it too will be ousted.

It will be interesting to see how they walk that line and not alienate the users who helped them grow.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yes it will. I have contacted them on occaision they seemed open to suggestions (or at least appeared too).

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Another calculated move in the war for the control of the hearts and minds of the people. That is how you control the future. the control started slipping away from central sources and is being dispersed among free speaking people all over the world.

Wal-mart is bs anyway. Think of what they are.. The monolith that kills diversity of shops. Of course they would act the same online.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You were right, very truthful video. I had no idea they were taking this censorship so far.

Time for a real YouTube competitor... FreedomTube

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, the business model for for Google et al is based on advertising. If Google and YouTube are incapable of acting to satisfy their customers by controlling the (frankly) disgraceful levels of violent content which just so happens to impact advertisers, then that's their commercial loss.

I think the concern is more about what is considered inappropriate and how that will impact what gets seen and what doesn't. I do agree advertisers should be able to choose where to advertise and if they are not satisfied they can find other ways to advertise. It only helps the competing companies lower ad costs.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
Yes, because Google needs their ad space.

Wait no, they don't...

Google is on the ball trying to provide smaller local services, but naturally because Verizon and Wal-Mart hates them, the boycott cabal is on board for some reason constantly with Google.

Google is like the air company to the consumer market. You can't boycott Google. Google could run off donations, the fact it makes billions of dollars is actually irrelevant.

Even if you did, you don't think an equivalent search engine would replace them? In your mind, supporting Wal-Mart is what drives this? I don't get the analogy. Boycott wal-mart. What idiot doesn't know about Wal-mart.com? People that shop online know to avoid walmart, and go directly TO walmart.com when needing to use it anyway, without the aide of Google.

That's the thing though I don't think Google wants any competing search engine taking their revenue. Walmart most likely pays Google a large sum and if this becomes a bigger trend this can become a bigger influence on censorship going forward.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

You were right, very truthful video. I had no idea they were taking this censorship so far.

Time for a real YouTube competitor... FreedomTube

Exactly!

Where are the Koch brothers?....................silence

Fact of the matter is, our government is controlled by those with wealth! Gab.ai is taking it to twitter, but there is no reason there isn't a platform to go against youtube.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The real problem is that the ideas of the right win out in areas where the free market of ideas is allowed.

That is why our resident leftist often complain of how Trump dominated ATS is. This place is still a free market of ideas.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join