It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: People Least Afraid Of Death Are Atheists Or The Very Religious

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Atheists can still believe in something that gives their life meaning though. You're still thinking Nihilist is the same as Atheist. But they're worlds apart.

Again, I use the Buddhist example. Would you say Buddhists don't have meaning in their lives or some strong emotional or spiritual concepts by which they live???

Atheists just don't believe there is a personified type of God figure like a Creator God. That''s pretty much it though. They believe all kinds of other stuff though, even very religious or spiritual things as long as it's not a God.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: vjr1113

so wait a minute. you tried atheism and you ended up a nihilist? i tried atheism and ended up a humanist. something is off here

If there is no God, if the universe is just a random fluke, if the only truth is science then there is no universal truth and we are just biochemical accidents waiting for our metabolisms to stop.

Being a humanist means having faith in humanity and trying to prove people can maintain religion-created morality without religion, basically trying to out-Christian the Christians.

I've seen some people out-Christian the self-proclaimed Christians in public. But what happens in prayer by the true Christian is not a visible prayer, but a change of events that is unexpected to the observer.

If you judge Christians by the television or by what people who go to church say they do only, you'll have a really hard time seeing.

But if you judge by the very law of love which you have chosen to uphold and you find that same law in a book, then the coincidence becomes less coincidental.

link   

so what that im just chemicals? i cant help the fact. so what if we are here by chance?

first of all thats not what humanism means and if you think we started becoming moral when religion started, i have bad news. if humans weren't inherently moral we would have never survived africa. but it seems morality is no longer a necessity for survival
edit on 25-3-2017 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Sure, I've seen lots of little nasty kids around. But I've seen plenty of very good and well behaved kids too that weren't that way because of Religious Miracles. Just good parenting and stable environment for the most part.

Same with Criminals. I don't think it takes a miracle to change a criminal to a normal person. I think you can call it a miracle if you want but that depends on how you define what a miracle is I guess.

If it's defined as "God making the impossible, possible." then I'd say no or unverifiable I suppose. There can be very normal un-supernatural reasons behind a criminal changing his ways.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Sure, I've seen lots of little nasty kids around. But I've seen plenty of very good and well behaved kids too that weren't that way because of Religious Miracles. Just good parenting and stable environment for the most part.

Same with Criminals. I don't think it takes a miracle to change a criminal to a normal person. I think you can call it a miracle if you want but that depends on how you define what a miracle is I guess.

If it's defined as "God making the impossible, possible." then I'd say no or unverifiable I suppose. There can be very normal un-supernatural reasons behind a criminal changing his ways.

You see a statistic where I see joy.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Sounds like spiritualism.

Sometimes sure.

But not atheists are spiritual either though.

Like I said, some atheists have all sorts of beliefs which don't include God or Gods. But then other don't have any.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you mean by that last post exactly.

But I don't have a problem with you believing that miracles are happening all the time. It sort of makes sense for someone who believes in God and that God is all things and all things come from God. At that point then it makes perfect sense to attribute everything to God.

But to that would seem to mean that all the bad stuff would also belong to God as well. So it's just a wash at that point. If it takes miracles to produce the good stuff then I guess it takes anti-miracles to create the bad stuff too because all things are under Gods control.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Still judging-bad conduct on your part so double to you too-and go to bed.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Why is it ok for you to judge and not me?

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Atheists can still believe in something that gives their life meaning though. You're still thinking Nihilist is the same as Atheist. But they're worlds apart.

Again, I use the Buddhist example. Would you say Buddhists don't have meaning in their lives or some strong emotional or spiritual concepts by which they live???

Atheists just don't believe there is a personified type of God figure like a Creator God. That''s pretty much it though. They believe all kinds of other stuff though, even very religious or spiritual things as long as it's not a God.

Like I said: anti-theist, theophobe or christophobe. Covers most areas.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

so wait a minute. you tried atheism and you ended up a nihilist? i tried atheism and ended up a humanist. something is off here

If there is no God, if the universe is just a random fluke, if the only truth is science then there is no universal truth and we are just biochemical accidents waiting for our metabolisms to stop.

Being a humanist means having faith in humanity and trying to prove people can maintain religion-created morality without religion, basically trying to out-Christian the Christians.

I've seen some people out-Christian the self-proclaimed Christians in public. But what happens in prayer by the true Christian is not a visible prayer, but a change of events that is unexpected to the observer.

If you judge Christians by the television or by what people who go to church say they do only, you'll have a really hard time seeing.

But if you judge by the very law of love which you have chosen to uphold and you find that same law in a book, then the coincidence becomes less coincidental.

Depends on your definition of 'judge.' While I don't claim to have any special insight into how a person's soul is fairing in the grand scheme of things, it is possible to determine deeds vs. words. But deeds alone don't get a person into heaven.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

so what that im just chemicals? i cant help the fact. so what if we are here by chance?

first of all thats not what humanism means and if you think we started becoming moral when religion started, i have bad news. if humans weren't inherently moral we would have never survived africa. but it seems morality is no longer a necessity for survival

Faith/spirituality/religion leads to the creation of a common moral code that the non-religious can then later claim to uphold just as well if not better than the religious folks, and feel smug about it. The irony is, they are still following the same religious morality so there really isn't any superior ethical ground.

Faith/spirituality existed in Africa, religion probably not yet.

Morality is a necessity for cohesive society.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
a reply to: Xtrozero

Break free from the madness that guides you then. Who needs to be told to not Murder People, Respect your family and neighbors and eat their vegetables once their an adult? The spiritually lost.

Wanting to die and not fearing death are two separate thoughts, one is emotionally positive the other one is very negative and destructive.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Annee

Only someone afraid of religion thinks that.

Wisdom of a believer?

Atheists do not fear religion.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
a reply to: NthOther
Religion is delusion for society to train toddlers and reform criminals. It's not exactly profound. It's programming.

Detaching yourself from it is almost profound a milestone than starting a practice.

The original self-help.

Most atheists do indeed believe in alot of things that cannot be proven...they dump religions and take up other beliefs and think it is not religious cause someone told them.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I tried the atheist thing for a bit, found it way too depressing. Nihilism ain't my bag, baby.

Atheists are just as boring and full of faith as the fools in churches...

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

That's like my example of Buddhists. They don't believe in a God. But they have obviously a variety of other Religious and Spiritual beliefs of different kinds. Beliefs which also cannot be proven.

Now, while some may not attribute the label of Atheist to a Buddhist. By definition, Buddhism is an atheistic religion.

Someone can have various religious beliefs and still be an atheist.

People confuse Atheism as some type of Thing or Belief system. It's not. It's just an umbrella term for one who doesn't believe in God. Nothing else comes with being an Atheist. There are not beliefs that go along with it. You don't have to be into science or anything else for that matter.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Atheists are just as boring and full of faith as the fools in churches...

Some of them are, yes.

As long as they don't think there is a God Entity or many Gods then yes.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Why would an atheist fear death at all?

I fear the possible living process of death - - - if by a long and painful illness - - - or being a burden to someone. But, not death itself.

Religion is guilt based. "If you're not good enough in the eyes of God" - - you won't be joining him.

Eh, Some religion is guilt based. Biblical Christianity really is not. Nobody is good enough. Ergo, don't hate on other folks when you're also guilty. Take Jesus and you're saved. No worries. No hoops.

I'm not afraid of death at all. Some as you. Maybe a little scared of the means of death. I'm not extremely religious, though I do have faith.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It makes sense. Someone who fears death seeks out religion for answers to quell their fear. Once their belief is strong enough then they no longer fear the inevitable because they think they are taken care of afterwards. Meanwhile, the atheist who doesn't fear death doesn't need to quell their fears with wishful thinking.
edit on 28-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join