It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Video Of Moving Car Struck By Lightning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I've had lightning strike my truck before. It was crazy freaky!! Though, a car generally doesn't get hit by lightning (and I have some experiences here as well). For the one time my truck did get hit, the wife and I were driving down an open road in Colorado towing a small trailer. There was a mean thunderstorm passing overhead, a real hard-core rock & roller! There was severe lightning and immediate thunder all over. All of a sudden there was this blinding flash. It was like being inside of an arc welder. At the same exact moment there was this deafening crash of thunder. I was so stunned by the flash and the boom I didn't even notice the truck had stalled at first. I didn't see a lightning "bolt", just a giant blinding flash of light. I coasted over to the side of the road and we just sat there for a couple minutes collecting our wits. The worst of the lightning passed in a few minutes and I got out to see what had happened.

I had a steel ladder rack on my pickup, and I had just painted it. The top rear corner of the ladder rack had the paint scorched off, but why? I didn't think lightning hit vehicles. Then it quickly became clear what had happened. I looked down at my trailer hitch and saw the safety chains dangling just above the pavement (like less than an inch). In the pouring rain, with the chains that near the ground, the water and the metal rack probably made an excellent path to earth ground. The lightning had hit my ladder rack and traveled through the steel of the truck to the hitch and through the chains to the ground. I usually cross my safety chains so I looked at where they were crossed over. The chains were welded together at this point, literally fused together solid. Yep, direct lightning strike!

The truck (and us) were otherwise unharmed. The strike probably freaked out the electronic ignition causing the truck to stall. It started back up with no issues though and we drove home. That was definitely a freaky moment. And yes, we did go buy lottery tickets! (didn't win anything though).

Another time I was in SE Asia, and they get some crazy fierce lightning there. A friend of mine and his wife were behind me when a huge bolt of lightning flashed right over my vehicle. I thought it hit to the left of me. Later he and his wife told me the bolt actually came down and split into a sort of wishbone, part of it hitting the ground on the left and the other part hitting the ground on the right. Didn't strike the vehicle, it actually avoided the vehicle. That one was pretty crazy too.

The last one is just pure funny, hilarious actually. This one was in SE Asia also. In SE Asia they have millions of people who ride these scooters everywhere, and they pull up between traffic at stoplights. This one time there was a massive thunderstorm going on, and I was stopped at a light. This dude on a scooter was next to me at the light. All of a sudden there was this huge flash and boom. I didn't see where the lightning hit, but it was close, real close. A split second after the lightning hit I glanced over at where the dude on the scooter was. He'd instantly ducked for cover. In fact, he'd ducked for cover so fast his unfastened helmet was just suspended there in mid-air with no head inside it! LOL!! That little dude had ducked so fast he'd pulled his head right out of his helmet and it was just floating there in mid-air like it was levitating for a second before falling. I think I had about an hour drive that day and I laughed the whole way. I still laugh about that to this day!! LOLOL!! Just imagine looking over and seeing an empty helmet floating in space right next to your driver's side window with nothing in it. LOL!

<< 1   >>

join