It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am ordering my 1000 dollar gaming pc build this weekend, does this look like it will work.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: madmac5150

yeah but those aren't really optimized for gaming are they? Sounds like a bottleneck neck nightmare.

If they're using 8-core Xeon's they should be just fine with decent graphics cards and enough memory. They're server grade processors designed for higher I/O rates. They may have lower clock speed but they make up for it in raw throughput, which as more games become processor-intensive, it can make a real difference.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I've never used server CPUs for gaming... But I imagine the Xeon would do just fine. You'll get more speed, cheaper, with a i7/i5... But Xeon does have it's advantages. The larger onboard cache means the CPU can do more in less cycles, which may well translate out to better game performance (especially in CPU bound games like Minecraft). Also, server CPUs are built to run 24/7, 365 days a year. They are more reliable overall compared to desktop CPUs. That being said, I leave my i5 running 24/7 without any problems.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DrWily

If this is the case then why isn't everyone doing this? Not one pc gaming article has ever mentioned running a xenon, so why? I mean you can buy a nvidia Tesla card too but they aren't optimized for gaming.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

If this is the case then why isn't everyone doing this? Not one pc gaming article has ever mentioned running a xenon, so why? I mean you can buy a nvidia Tesla card too but they aren't optimized for gaming.

Price... Simple fact of the matter is, desktop HW is cheaper. Also, it doesn't occur to most people. Server CPUs usually run in a headless configuration handling backend tasks like scripts, web servers, and databases. If you have the cash to blow on it, there really isn't a reason not to get a XEON, it's like a beefcake version of the desktop CPU.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jwarg

yeah but those aren't really optimized for gaming are they? Sounds like a bottleneck neck nightmare.

If they're using 8-core Xeon's they should be just fine with decent graphics cards and enough memory. They're server grade processors designed for higher I/O rates. They may have lower clock speed but they make up for it in raw throughput, which as more games become processor-intensive, it can make a real difference.

They are quite fast; and my wife hasn't managed to crash her's yet... I call her "Cyrus the Virus" for that reason. The Dell workstations are damned near bulletproof. Both of ours are 8-core Xeons at 3.3GHz, 16 Gb RAM running Win 7 (mine runs both Win7 and Redhat Linux). "Hyperthreading" with the Xeons doesn't work that well with Win7.... (depends on the software); with Linux it is insanely fast, but Linux is optimized for hyperthreading with multiple processors.

This, of course, is based on my experience.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the Xeon workstations, without hesitation.

I can tell you where I got mine, but you need to PM me for that... T&Cs, of course

edit on 24-3-2017 by madmac5150 because: My cat made me

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

Cool, so I did good on reading specs, wish i would have checked for a auto compatibility checker website, didn't know they had those! yeah I was thinking off ssd but am being cheap, might upgrade later and use hdd for all my multimedia.

ALWAYS ssd for operating system..hdd storage

You will not be able to overclock enough to even match the difference in that alone...

Graphics card too slow also...unless you plan to upgrade that soon....4k no way not good enough.

Prices on cards are dropping fast right now get something faster at least 1060...

BTW 1080 GTX just dropped almost 300 in price

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrWily

originally posted by: AtypicalJ
I think so, if you are making this much of an investment, go for the better CPU. That is just my opinion.

You will also see a significant performance boost with the SSD. I built a PC last summer. It boots into windows faster than it POSTs.

What is your reasoning behind CPU over GPU? The only real difference between a same generation i5 and i7 is hyperthreading, which doesn't help much in gaming (games are notoriously single threaded, even to this day). Rather than looking at the difference between a i5 and a i7, I'd be looking for the highest default clock speed. All other things being equal, a single threaded 4ghz CPU will blow away a 2ghz eight thread CPU in terms of gaming.

If he is planning on usng this PC for gaming only, then yes. I just figured with going high end with other components, I would compliment with the best CPU, for any future applications.

I also didn't say CPU over GPU, I would go with both being the best.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Anything below a terabyte takes a lot of micromanaging. Particularly if you play a lot of games. What I mean is you're going to find yourself having to make space for new games you want to play.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: jwarg

They are quite fast; and my wife hasn't managed to crash her's yet... I call her "Cyrus the Virus" for that reason. The Dell workstations are damned near bulletproof. Both of ours are 8-core Xeons at 3.3GHz, 16 Gb RAM running Win 7 (mine runs both Win7 and Redhat Linux).

This is making me wonder how my dual quad-core server with 32 GB RAM would do for gaming if I threw a good graphics card in it lol.. Too bad it's running the rest of my home infrastructure (VMWare ESXi 6.0 with multiple virtual machines). The wife would kill me if I took down her media server

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtypicalJ

If he is planning on usng this PC for gaming only, then yes. I just figured with going high end with other components, I would compliment with the best CPU, for any future applications.

I also didn't say CPU over GPU, I would go with both being the best.

Yeah.. But in terms of bang for buck (on gaming), you have to admit he would be better served dumping an extra $100 in a GPU instead of a CPU. He already picked out a unlocked i5, lol.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

DVD Drive:Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Son, WTF is a DVD ???? Don't you know its 2017??? Try this Blu-ray drive instead, does everything your firs choice had, but blu ray also and it only adds $20 to the bill.
www.amazon.com...

Or if you want to make backups on blu ray as well, add $40.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490415740&sr=1-2&keywords=blu+ray+dri ve

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

DVD Drive:Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Son, WTF is a DVD ???? Don't you know its 2017??? Try this Blu-ray drive instead, does everything your firs choice had, but blu ray also and it only adds $20 to the bill.
www.amazon.com...

Or if you want to make backups on blu ray as well, add $40.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490415740&sr=1-2&keywords=blu+ray+dri ve

When was the last time you actually used an optical disc to install anything?? Almost everything is available via download. A lot of PC manufacturers are starting to phase them out completely.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I bought a Sony vaio laptop and splurged for the blu-ray some 7 or 8 years ago, I used it probably once. I was just using the DVD to load the os on and any supplied driver disks.
edit on 24-3-2017 by bananashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

a reply to: worldstarcountry

I bought a Sony vaio laptop and splurged for the blu-ray some 7 or 8 years ago, I used it probably once. I was just using the DVD to load the os on.

When I bought win10, it came on a USB thumb drive.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Heck, you don't even need DVD's to load the OS anymore, just create a bootable USB stick with your OS on it.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Interesting, the future is now!

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If i was you, i would wait just a month. the AMD R7 5 1600x is coming out
6core 12 threads cpu. for as little as $220
Then a mobo for like $100

DDR4 is pricey at the moment but lets say $120 for 16GB

Also AMD new R9 graphics cards are coming with Vega! but you could get nvidia 1060/6GB

I personally run a Xeon x5670 @ 4.4Ghz and a GTX 1070.

I'm a intel fan

edit on 24-3-2017 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2017 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

the future is now!

Play a lot of SNK / Neogeo games as a kid?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

What motherboard are you using with that xeon, are all xeons unlocked and overclockable ?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Yes!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join