It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Criticisms of Christianity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There are number of things that have always bothered me about the Bible. Here are a few taken from a Wiki page:

en.wikipedia.org...

Historical Violence:

Christianity is supposed to be a religion of peace. But history has shown otherwise:

"Peace, compassion and forgiveness of wrongs done by others are key elements of Christian teaching.[78] However, Christians have struggled since the days of the Church fathers with the question of when the use of force is justified.[79] Such debates have led to concepts such as just war theory. Throughout history, biblical passages have been used to justify the use of force against heretics,[80] sinners[81] and external enemies.[82] Heitman and Hagan identify the Inquisitions, Crusades, wars of religion and antisemitism as being "among the most notorious examples of Christian violence".[83] To this list, J. Denny Weaver adds, "warrior popes, support for capital punishment, corporal punishment under the guise of 'spare the rod and spoil the child', justifications of slavery, world-wide colonialism in the name of conversion to Christianity, the systemic violence of women subjected to men". Weaver employs a broader definition of violence that extends the meaning of the word to cover "harm or damage", not just physical violence per se. Thus, under his definition, Christian violence includes "forms of systemic violence such as poverty, racism, and sexism""

Bad Ethics:

"Certain interpretations of some moral decisions in the Bible are considered ethically questionable by many modern groups. Some of the passages most commonly criticized include colonialism, the subjugation of women, religious intolerance, condemnation of homosexuality, and support for the institution of slavery in both Old and New Testaments."

Mistranlations and Bad Interpretations:

"Translation has given rise to a number of issues, as the original languages are often quite different in grammar as well as word meaning. While the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy[23] states that inerrancy applies only to the original languages, some believers trust their own translation to be the accurate one. One such group of believers is known as the King-James-Only Movement. For readability, clarity, or other reasons, translators may choose different wording or sentence structure, and some translations may choose to paraphrase passages. Because some of the words in the original language have ambiguous or difficult to translate meanings, debates over the correct interpretation occur.

Criticisms are also sometimes raised because of inconsistencies arising between different English translations of the Hebrew or Greek text. Some Christian interpretations are criticized for reflecting specific doctrinal bias[36] or a variant reading between the Masoretic Hebrew and Septuagint Greek manuscripts often quoted in the New Testament."

Friedrich Nietzsche Criticisms

"Friedrich Nietzsche claimed that Christianity fostered a kind of slave morality that suppressed the desires contained in the human will."

Nietzsche said Christianity was born in response to Roman oppression. It took hold in the minds of timid slaves who did not have the courage or strength to take what they really wanted. The slaves could not admit to their own failings. So they clung to a philosophy that made virtue of cowardice. Everything the Christians wanted and wished they had in their lives for fulfillment was considered to be a sin. A position in the world, prestige, good sex, intellectual mastery, personal wealth were too difficult or beyond their reach. The Christian slaves created a hypocritical creed denouncing what they really wanted but were incapable of achieving while praising what they did not want was being virtuous. So in the Christian value system sexlessness turned into 'purity', weakness became "goodness," submission to authority became "obedience," and in Nietzsche's words, "not-being-able-take-revenge" turned into "forgiveness." A Christian slave was too weak to have any personal voice and was only capable of bending a knee to whoever was in authority.

Miracles and Science:

Philosopher David Hume argued against the plausibility of miracles:[121]

1) A miracle is a violation of the known laws of nature;
2) We know these laws through repeated and constant experience;
3) The testimony of those who report miracles contradicts the operation of known scientific laws;
4) Consequently no one can rationally believe in miracles.

Hell and Damnation:

"Christianity has been criticized as seeking to persuade people into accepting its authority through simple fear of punishment or, conversely, through hope of reward after death, rather than through rational argumentation or empirical evidence."

You would think people would choose a Christian life based on the merits not on what happens or could happen in the afterlife.

"Critics regard the eternal punishment of those who fail to adopt Christian faith as morally objectionable, and consider it an abhorrent picture of the nature of the world. On a similar theme objections are made against the perceived injustice of punishing a person for all eternity for a temporal crime."

"Some modern critics of the doctrine of Hell (such as Marilyn McCord Adams) claim that, even if Hell is seen as a choice rather than as punishment, it would be unreasonable for God to give such flawed and ignorant creatures as humans the awesome responsibility of their eternal destinies"

The really is no doubt that God knew exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about. So what is the purpose of Hell if God already knows everything there is to know?

Christian People:

Christians are just not nice people. Nobody likes to be judged. Christians seem to be the most judgmental people on the planet. Whether someone is fat, on welfare, gay, or black is up to God to decide if it is a sin. Christians pretend to be God all the time. There is no humility or respect for people who are non-Christians. For example, in our pledge of allegiance, the phrase "Under God" could be interpreted to imply atheists are not entitled to liberty and justice. Can you imagine if the pledge had the text, "Under No God". There would be no end to the whining.

I think the decline in Christianity is because of these criticisms.

P.S. I have a feeling this thread is going to get zero flags.

edit on 24-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Christians are just not nice people. Nobody likes to be judged. Christians seem to be the most judgmental people on the planet. Whether someone is fat, on welfare, gay, or black is up to God to decide if it is a sin. Christians pretend to be God all the time. There is no humility or respect for people who are non-Christians. For example, in our pledge of allegiance, the phrase "Under God" could be interpreted to imply atheists are not entitled to liberty and justice. Can you imagine if the pledge had the text, "Under No God". There would be no end to the whining. I think the decline in Christianity is because of these criticisms.
They say a happy wife makes for a happy life ...I wouldn't worry too much about the Christian demographic seeing it is God Himself who is building His Church .

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
That's a whole lot of criticism.
Most of those things would be better served with a unique thread so that you can engage with one thing, rather than ten (which would be hard for people to cover, and others to follow).

I'm a Christian minister, and I'd agree with many of the criticisms you've posted above. One of the issues that you encounter historically is that from relatively early on, the Church stopped being a spiritual entity and became a political institution instead. The politicisation of the church into the Catholic Church was probably the worst thing that ever happened in our history. If you do your research, you can actually trace the history of this institution back to the exile of the Babylonian priesthood during the conquest of that city at the hands of Cyrus the Great - and many of the traditions and practices of the Roman Catholic Church are directly derived from paganism. You can follow that thread yourself, but to give you a simple example, even the title of "Pontifex Maximus" is borrowed from the Chaldean priesthood; though it was ascribed in later years to the "Pope of Rome".

Regarding miracles...
I'd suggest to you that those things that appear to us to be miraculous stem not from a violation of natural law, but from our own limited understanding of what constitutes 'natural'.
We're limited to the dimensions we exist in; if you accept the premise that God exists, then you must also accept the premise that a God who created time, space and matter must Himself be timeless, must transcend space, and must be immaterial. In that context, the miraculous is not a violation of natural law, but an exercise in the very nature and character of God - outside of and far beyond our own capability.

Finally, regarding your last point...
Frankly, I think that's a vast simplification. I'm not going to get into a debate about whether Christians are "nice people" - I'd like to think my own character speaks for itself (not that you know me, mind you), and that's sufficient for me.

But beyond all of this...
The issue that you have is primarily the fact that you're judging Christianity based upon the flaws of its adherents. Now, that would be fine if Christianity claimed to make perfect people, but it doesn't - quite the opposite - it claims that we're all flawed, we're all violators of God's perfect law, and we all need someone greater than ourselves who can transcend those things and create peace between God and man. As lawbreakers, there is a just determination in which we are placed at enmity with the One whose law we have broken. This is why Jesus Christ matters:

because "all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God", but "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us", "the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God". Jesus paid the cost of our legal transgressions, so to speak - so that there might be peace between a righteous judge and unrighteous men and women.

That's the glory of the gospel - that everything that needed to be done, both to correct our own wrongs, and to bring us back into a relationship with the God of the universe, WAS done, by Jesus. That's it. That's all. It's done, it's over, it's complete - and the only thing asked of us is that we trust that. We trust that Jesus Christ, through His own blood, paid the price that was due for our violation of God's law ("for the wages of sin is death").

None of these criticisms has an impact on that.
So in essence? All you're doing is making excuses for refusing to engage with the God who made you.
...and that's fine - that's your prerogative...
but it's not answering the real question, is it.

What are you going to do about Jesus?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Christians are just not nice people. Nobody likes to be judged. Christians seem to be the most judgmental people on the planet. Whether someone is fat, on welfare, gay, or black is up to God to decide if it is a sin. Christians pretend to be God all the time. There is no humility or respect for people who are non-Christians. For example, in our pledge of allegiance, the phrase "Under God" could be interpreted to imply atheists are not entitled to liberty and justice. Can you imagine if the pledge had the text, "Under No God". There would be no end to the whining. I think the decline in Christianity is because of these criticisms.
They say a happy wife makes for a happy life ...I wouldn't worry too much about the Christian demographic seeing it is God Himself who is building His Church .

No I get it. The "chosen" people are just better than everyone else. His Church is His Church.

People who are not part of the "chosen" group are given a derogatory label like "heathen", "gentile", "goy", "infidel", "kafir". Whenever you label someone then you are free to no longer treat them as an equal human being. There is no moral consequence to killing people who are not part of the "chosen" group. That is the way religion works.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

A few things.... The Church of Rome does not represent Christians... the RCC has killed more Christians than any other organization on the planet.

History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, Vol. 2:

“That the Church of Rome has shed more innocent blood than any other institution that has ever existed among mankind will be questioned by no Protestant who has a complete knowledge of history.” Some historians estimate that over 50 million lives (mostly Christians from Christ’s true Church), were taken by this so-called “holy” Inquisition to which they have never apologized.

Throughout recorded history, no organization on the face of the planet has hunted down and killed more Christians than the Roman Catholic Church.

Former Roman Catholic priest Bernard Fresenborg in his book Thirty Years in Hell puts it at a higher number--

Authentic history, and history that cannot be denied nor disputed, nor even questioned, gives the appalling record of 70,500,000 Protestants who were slain by the greatest curse the world has ever known--Roman Catholicism.

Now for the rest of your babble, I am not sure what "Christians" you know or what "Churches" you have been to but you paint one hell of a broad brush, as though "Christians" fit this mold of stuck up, rich people.

You really think that fat people on welfare cannot be Christians? If so, do they hate themselves? What a load of crap.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Awen24

I really like the tone of your post. I thought it was very thoughtful and I very much appreciate you not making an ad hominiem attack. And I can appreciate what you are saying.

RE: What are you going to do about Jesus?

Nothing I haven't done already. I have more faith in God than I do in Jesus.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

People who are not part of the "chosen" group are given a derogatory label like "heathen", "gentile", "goy", "infidel", "kafir".
The only label I put on people are either a believer or a none believer .Oh and fence setter's . But I wore all three of those and never took offence to them .

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Now for the rest of your babble, I am not sure what "Christians" you know or what "Churches" you have been to but you paint one hell of a broad brush, as though "Christians" fit this mold of stuck up, rich people.
You really think that fat people on welfare cannot be Christians? If so, do they hate themselves? What a load of crap.

I never said people on welfare cannot be Christians. What I did say was Christians tend to be the most judgmental people, have no respect for people who think differently than they do, and many tend to think what other people say is "a load of crap."

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

What I did say was Christians tend to be the most judgmental people, have no respect for people who think differently than they do, and many tend to think what other people say is "a load of crap."

are you doing the same ?
singling one group of people out for being judgemental ?

Nothing I haven't done already. I have more faith in God than I do in Jesus.

" Jesus loves me this I know
for the bible tells me so "

edit on 24-3-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

People who are not part of the "chosen" group are given a derogatory label like "heathen", "gentile", "goy", "infidel", "kafir".
The only label I put on people are either a believer or a none believer .Oh and fence setter's . But I wore all three of those and never took offence to them .

When I first read "fence setter's" I read it as "face sitter's". My brain did a loop-d-loop. And then I figured out what you were saying.

My question then is how can a God be thought to be "all-loving" if that does not include non-believers and fence-sitters?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

My question then is how can a God be thought to be "all-loving" if that does not include non-believers and fence-sitters?
God loves all people ...Both Jew and Gentile ...

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I never said people on welfare cannot be Christians. What I did say was Christians tend to be the most judgmental people, have no respect for people who think differently than they do, and many tend to think what other people say is "a load of crap."

Wow, I would say the exact same thing about Progressive Leftest loons... and I would be right. At least the "Christians" are not shouting you down on campuses or rioting in the streets when an Atheist speaker is coming to town.
edit on 24-3-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric

What I did say was Christians tend to be the most judgmental people, have no respect for people who think differently than they do, and many tend to think what other people say is "a load of crap."

are you doing the same ?

Many of the criticisms in my OP are not my own. But ones I paraphased or quoted from the Wiki page.

I'm not making judgments against the people. I was judging the Christian Bible and the beliefs of the religion. I think the Christian people are no different than any other group of people. They commit just as many crimes, have just as many divorces, and are overweight in the same frequencies as any other major group of people. I think the Christian people are fine.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Wow, I would say the exact same thing about Progressive Leftest loons... and I would be right. At least the "Christians" are not shouting you down on campuses or rioting in the streets when an Atheist speaker is coming to town.

I agree. The progressive leftest "loons" are often intolerant of intolerance. And they are very vocal about it. So yes, I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric

are you doing the same ?

I'm not sure I am being the same. If I said all black people are lazy is that the same as saying Christians are the most judgmental people. I'm not sure calling someone judgmental is really that bad of criticism.

I think as a group of people, Christians tend to be less forgiving of other people. If someone is down on their luck I have often heard Christians say the person was a sinner and deserves their suffering. I'm would think that is the antithesis of Jesus's teachings but maybe my interpretation is too left wing and liberal.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I was judging the Christian Bible and the beliefs of the religion

every religion gets corrupted

no church or faith really can represent God
if you have to go to somebody else to find God
it defeats the point

"The Kingdom of God is inside/within you (and all about you), not in buildings/mansions of wood and stone. (When I am gone) Split a piece of wood and I am there, lift the/a stone and you will find me."

funny guy right ?
which is it ?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Let's call a spade a spade here.

Strict Old Testament loving fundamental Christianity is as bad as radical Islam. The old Testament has as much violence and ridiculous punishment for petty crimes as the Koran.

But.....

Those people have it all wrong. Christianity is meant to be about love and forgiveness. Jesus taught us to call God father. He told us that the greatest commandment is to love thy neighbor.

None of the criticisms you present are what Jesus taught us.

As for the bad translations, very true. But only important is one is intent on Bible fundamentalism. The spirit of the gospel (moral of the story) is what's really important and that makes its way through.

And those miracles you speak of..... yes science can explain a lot away. But not all of them.

edit on 24-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I'm not sure calling someone judgmental is really that bad of criticism.

as far as they go no not really

Christians tend to be less forgiving of other people. If someone is down on their luck I have often heard Christians say the person was a sinner and deserves their suffering

I heard Hindus do the same
say its Karma
i'm sure its more about human nature
who ever you are

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Some Criticisms of Christianity

It depends on to which 'Xtianity' you refer.
There is the 'Xtianity' of Jesus when he said that the way that he identifies his followers is by their unconditional Love!
(No 'beliefs' necessary!)

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS Known by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!

So, according to Jesus, anyone exhibiting unconditional Love is, as far as he is concerned, his 'follower', a 'Xtian'!
Even a Muslim or a Buddhist! *__-

And then there is the self-proclaimed (social) 'Xtian' of the ego, the expression of vanity, the 'religion' and it's followers.
This is all about 'beliefs'!
Here, as always, it is easy to find criticism!
'Beliefs' are insanity!
No one deliberately harms another unless infected with 'beliefs'!
That accounts for the hateful violent insanity of the 'religious'.

It is easy, as I have said, to find criticism of the behavior of the religionists, but not of the mystics, who have transcended religion, the vanity/ego of 'beliefs', to become unconditional Love/Enlightened!

Focussing on criticism/judgment, rather than Loving, is exactly what the (vain) 'religionists' do...

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Its all been asked before, its all been debated before, and the end results are always the same. Some of your points are worth discussing, but you're also judging the Bible based on the flaws of its human followers.

Judge the Bible as literary/poetic, spiritual, and philosophical work, and judge human hypocrisy on psychology, but don't assume the human believers of the Bible are an accurate representation of the Bible. That is a subjective argument.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join