It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Story of Satan is a Fairy Tale Weigh In

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
We know from experience nature consistently behaves in repeatable patterns of behavior. Nature is relentless in its consistency. So given the way nature behaves, it seems a little far-fetched to think there is an evil creature prancing about causing evil. The idea of an evil creature prancing about seems more like fairy tale that something that actually exists in reality.

I guess you could argue that Satan exists in some other dimension and is causing people to behave in evil ways. Just like with our understanding of nature, human psychology has a deep understanding as to why psychopaths do not have any empathy and are only capable of acting in selfish ways at the expense of others. Human behavior is so well mapped out at this point it is simply not possible to behave in any fashion that is not well understood to the nth degree.

Regardless if you accept the causes of psychopaths are well known, there is no evidence to suggest people are possessed by Satan. There is no evidence to suggest people are not solely responsible for ALL their own behaviors. Other than someone making the claim that Satan was responsible, there does not seem to be any evidence to suggest people are possessed. You could assert Satan was an agent responsible for a particular act of evil. But just because you assert something does not mean it is true. Imaginary causes are still just imaginary causes.

You could think of Satan as some kind of Jungian Archetype of human behavior. Then in this sense you could argue Satan exists. Archetypes are patterns of human behaviors that are identified to exist over the entire human population. So in that sense you could argue Satan exists and is real. People behave in certain ways because of or in relation to a particular Archetype. But even then, the identification of an Archetype is just commentary in its substance.

Besides nature strongly behaving in consistently repeatable patterns, it seems some people get a lion's share of God’s blessings regardless if they attend church or behave according to church doctrine. Just like it doesn’t seem to matter if you are in good standings with the church in order to get God’s favor, Satan has nothing to do with why some people being more blessed than others. Giving money to the church and worrying about Satan seems to have no difference in the success of anyone’s life. People will often associate meanings to their life experiences but as far as I can tell it makes no difference. The price of gasoline and the price of pizza does not care if you are in league with Satan.

So where do you weigh in? Is Satan real and nature is just fooling us by pretending to be consistently rational? Or, is Satan just a fairy tale with no actual consequence in modern reality?

Although people have not done it so far, it would be nice if at the top of each first response to the OP you put "Fairy Tale" or "Not Fairy Tale". This thread is supposed to be a weigh in which means you can't wuss out on where you stand.

edit on 24-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos and added last paragraph

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

People behave wickedly and evil because they are sinners.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

If you are going to have a God/gods, then you have to have a counter foil, some sort of "bad" outside the door of the religious center. Even if a religion doesn't appear initially with a boogieman on its own, the need must appear in the believers to have a scale upon which to judge themselves and others and so it magically morphs into being substance. If the religion pictures itself as some semblance in the form of a human, more than likely the evil one will be configured accordingly to the fears of the faithful. The answer you ask for is nothing but basic human psychological practices at play.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The Satan or Satan or Satan the Devil ... It would seem that a term over time gets put into use and takes on a name .The being in the garden ,the serpent ,the shining one or serpentine being the Nachash that caused man to fall into sin would be the agent in the unseen realm that can cause people to do what they ought not to do .

If you want to find this influence in nature then it would be called entropy .

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

And here all along I thought it was because of puberty. I guess estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone have nothing to do with it.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Well, if Satan is responsible for all the evil I do, and Jesus is responsible all the good that I do, just what exactly am I personally responsible for?

I think it's important for people to have a relationship to themselves. At some people, each of us must be responsible for some portions of our own behaviors.

edit on 24-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typo

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

That's all good and well saying people are sinners, the church has done pretty good at defining sin.

Doesn't take away the root cause of sin and that is people.

I'll always have issue with the definition of sin and I'm not talking about the "ultimate" sin of being born.

I'm talking about petty theft by a starving person, a person having sex outside of marriage regardless if they are old enough to consent, same-sex relationship's, addiction etc etc.

It's human instinct and it's all well defined as the OP mentions... Personally I'll stick with laws made by men that are made and followed due to reason.

As a now famous game says and a book once said.

"Nothing is real, everything is permitted" or "Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted" if you will.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

You guys must be blind if you can't see that there are devilworshipping elites that are pulling the strings. Many signs, all you have to do is open your eyes.

So yes, Satan and his like minded army of demonsjinns exist.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChemicalAli

You guys must be blind if you can't see that there are devilworshipping elites that are pulling the strings. Many signs, all you have to do is open your eyes.

People participating in a ritual culture of hate is not evidence for the existence of Satan. Again, psychopaths are psychopaths for well known reasons. The devil worshiping elites are just play-acting. Despite their evil intentions and actions they are still just people misbehaving. Chanting around a fire carrying a goat's head doesn't make you any more powerful.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

The greatest power the Adversary has is being invisible to the point that we don't even believe this exists. Yet his vanity is huge and forces even He to seek praise and worship like God. Remember, He was jealous of God and when one is jealous it means we want something we don't have that another does have.

Don't off load it all on Him, though. People have free will. It is they who must take responsibility for the evil they do.

Satan is the Rebel. He deceived humans that we were capable of being like God and knowing what is good and what is evil.

Do we know? I admit that I can't tell what is truly good and evil. Sometimes I think I am doing a good thing when later it becomes apparent that it was a miserable mistake.

Hence, the mess that humans are in.

He is the present ruler of earth. He was thrown down here as it is written. He is not a happy chap. Even Christians are at the mercy of His whims if God chooses to allow it (refer to Job). He works through those who do not even know He is working through them and they are His tools and weapons to do His bidding; Trojan Horses for demons to inhabit (Jesus' parable of the cleaned house). Yes, they even look beautiful and erotic sometimes in order to weaken and tempt, but a spade is a spade.

Some of the artists I dearly love I know were messing with things they shouldn't, "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread". Poor Amy Winehouse was destroyed by her own demons, yet I have seen pictures of her wearing a cross and I know she was trying to fight. Does not God forgive? Does not God tell us we are all sinners and that's why Christ had to come and allow us to murder Him in cold blood? I try to remember people for the good they did and not their darker sides, which we all have. Elvis and Amy both sang very honest songs about themselves and everybody else;

Well, Amy and Elvis, I'm just like you; a hopeless sinner with only Jesus for a cure!

Lol, I am starting to feel like Van Helsing with his blooming stake, lol.

I think the only reason I have been able to hang around so long is because I tell jokes to all the Spirits, good and bad. I do talk to them you know.

I don't have to hate. God told me to love and pray for my enemy. Jesus calls Satan the enemy and in the next breath tell us to love and pray for our enemies. John instructed that we should always be very respectful to Satan and His Kin because they are Angels and of the Heavenly Realm.

We don't know how it will pan out. God changes things at a whim. The Artist can do what He likes with His painting. He can paint a different picture over the one before even as He did with the New Covenant. He may yet command a Third Covenant to be written. Might even Satan one day repent when He finally sees the only alternative is the Lake of Fire, once He has full knowledge of His own shortcomings based on His own bitter experience? Could I be happy watching Hitler burn in Eternity while I enjoy Paradise? After a very short time, because I am gentle and kind, might I start petitioning The Lord and asking Him to allow Hitler a 2nd chance? Surely a good soul would not take pleasure in watching anyone's torment.

I love ol' Jimbo Morrison, but when he said we can't petition the Lord with prayer he was well wrong.

Do you think perhaps He lets things drag on because He wants those Angels of their own free will to return like the Prodigal Son? Do you think that Jesus was just speaking to humans with His Message and His evangelizing?

I don't pretend to know. I do try to extend my perception though.

edit on 24-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Is anything believed in taken to be true? Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny are revered by children; they must be real!

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Although I do not share your way in believing I do appreciate your humility with the subject.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi

Is anything believed in taken to be true? Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny are revered by children; they must be real!

Well, Santa Claus is real in the sense he exists in spirit with people's behaviors. This is the Archetypal type existence I referred to in my original post. But I do agree with your sentiment of how the question is begging the definition of what is "real" and what is imaginary.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

People participating in a ritual culture of hate is not evidence for the existence of Satan. Again, psychopaths are psychopaths for well known reasons. The devil worshiping elites are just play-acting. Despite their evil intentions and actions they are still just people misbehaving. Chanting around a fire carrying a goat's head doesn't make you any more powerful.

Yes! They are simply being devoutly religious in their own way and invent ways and thinking to justify their counter-normal thought patterns. That is why the evil things are always "conjured up" from the depths of human depravity, the need for an excuse. What's that old saying, "The devil made me do it."

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
We know from experience nature consistently behaves in repeatable patterns of behavior. Nature is relentless in its consistency. So given the way nature behaves, it seems a little far-fetched to think there is an evil creature prancing about causing evil. The idea of an evil creature prancing about seems more like fairy tale that something that actually exists in reality.

I guess you could argue that Satan exists in some other dimension and is causing people to behave in evil ways. Just like with our understanding of nature, human psychology has a deep understanding as to why psychopaths do not have any empathy and are only capable of acting in selfish ways at the expense of others. Human behavior is so well mapped out at this point it is simply not possible to behave in any fashion that is not well understood to the nth degree.

Regardless if you accept the causes of psychopaths are well known, there is no evidence to suggest people are possessed by Satan. There is no evidence to suggest people are not solely responsible for ALL their own behaviors. Other than someone making the claim that Satan was responsible, there does not seem to be any evidence to suggest people are possessed. You could assert Satan was an agent responsible for a particular act of evil. But just because you assert something does not mean it is true. Imaginary causes are still just imaginary causes.

You could think of Satan as some kind of Jungian Archetype of human behavior. Then in this sense you could argue Satan exists. Archetypes are patterns of human behaviors that are identified to exist over the entire human population. So in that sense you could argue Satan exists and is real. People behave in certain ways because of or in relation to a particular Archetype. But even then, the identification of an Archetype is just commentary in its substance.

Besides nature strongly behaving in consistently repeatable patterns, it seems some people get a lion's share of God’s blessings regardless if they attend church or behave according to church doctrine. Just like it doesn’t seem to matter if you are in good standings with the church in order to get God’s favor, Satan has nothing to do with why some people being more blessed than others. Giving money to the church and worrying about Satan seems to have no difference in the success of anyone’s life. People will often associate meanings to their life experiences but as far as I can tell it makes no difference. The price of gasoline and the price of pizza does not care if you are in league with Satan.

So where do you weigh in? Is Satan real and nature is just fooling us by pretending to be consistently rational? Or, is Satan just a fairy tale with no actual consequence in modern reality?

Christians didn't believe in a hell until like 500 years ago..

The Christian religion (like everything else ) is constantly morphing and doesn't really resemble its beginnings...

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Curious, if you are discussing the fact that Satan isn't real, does this mean you are also saying demons in general are not real, and all demons are fairy tales also?

What about demon possession then? Now I have not personally witnessed a possession, but from what I've studied (which is not a lot), this does seem believable to me. Although I've not heard of Satan himself possessing anyone.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

No, they just have demented minds. No such thing as the devil. There is good in our hearts and evil (bad) doings in our soul. Do we live by our heart that gives us life, or do we live by the soul of darkness. No one really knows.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Well, if Satan is responsible for all the evil I do, and Jesus is responsible all the good that I do, just what exactly am I personally responsible for?
Well wouldn't it take God Himself to figure that out ? Its possible for us to do the wrong things for the right reasons and visa versa .While we are here though its a matter of trying our best .

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I don't agree with practically everything you posted but that Amy Whitehouse performance is insanely good. I never knew she was that good. Her singing and her stage movements were mesmerizing. I'm not a big Elvis fan for the most part. The Elvis stuff was just okay for me.

My musical tastes tend to be more on the heavy metal side. I like this band called Volbeat. I hope liking this song doesn't make me in league with Satan:

www.youtube.com...

The cool thing about this song is the fire tunnel in the video as you are traveling down to hell. Again, it's just a video. Just because I like the music doesn't make me possessed by Satan. Or does it?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran

Curious, if you are discussing the fact that Satan isn't real, does this mean you are also saying demons in general are not real, and all demons are fairy tales also?

What about demon possession then? Now I have not personally witnessed a possession, but from what I've studied (which is not a lot), this does seem believable to me. Although I've not heard of Satan himself possessing anyone.

Just like Satan and Santa, I think the same arguments apply to demons in general.

Demon possession like beauty, is the eyes of the beholder. I don't think it's a real thing but something people just imagine to be true.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join