It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7,000 Huge Gas Bubbles Have Formed Under Siberia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
If you follow the link there is a guy with boots pushing down upon the ground which is acting like a trampoline.. There have been other threads about explosive sink holes appearing in Siberia but this is the first article I have read that they actually took measurements of a pending sink hole before it erupted. For those who do not want to read the link here is the Siberian trampoline. youtu.be...

Back in 2016, local environmental researchers Alexander Sokolov and Dorothee Ehrich decided to pull back the dirt and grass that had been blanketing these bulging bumps of earth, and found that the air escaping from them contained up to 1,000 times more methane than the surrounding air, and 25 times more carbon dioxide.
That does sound rather alarming ? Normal concentrations in free above ground air is usually just 0.000179 percent methane..
www.sciencealert.com...
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

OK..... I like hard unfiddled data or my own eyes. The permafrost is melting and releasing methane and Carbon dioxide sometimes at explosives rates... the doom part of me says I doubt mankind can do a darn thing about it... Has all this happened before and is it a natural cycle... Probably IMO since the earth has been several degrees warmer and colder over history. The question in my mind is what is the end result if this trend continues and accelerates..? What happened before when the temps were much warmer...as far as I know the planet did not catch on fire and extinguish all above ground life in a big whoosh... Maybe the old saying not by ice but by fire will come to some people's minds ?
youtu.be...

Anyway I found this interesting and maybe some of our members will too.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: n

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   
burn the methane is to simple? You convert one very potent greenhouse gas into a less potent greenhouse gas

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
God help us all......

This is the pending disaster that will push global warming past the point of no return.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Yeah, the permafrost thing will hit us by surprise. And everybody will be like: Why hasn't anybody done anything about it?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This explains exactly what happens. It is a simple cycle. Mother nature knows best

P

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You do realise though that the pretty graph you present while be cyclical, spells mass death and destruction for humanity don't you.

With approaching 8 billion of us to feed, we rely on the climate being what it was, not what it is becoming to ensure a stable food supply. Humans will be able to survive the climate changes that are coming, but here is the catch - not as many humans as there are today.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Yes, but if you watched the last video and listen to the people who have been saying for years. The cycle is being fast tracked and will most likely be pushed beyond the tipping point because mother nature did not intend for humans to, ON TOP of the cycle, artificially burn majority of it's fossil fuels.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Sounds like everyone needs to replace their ornamental shrub and lawn with berry bushes and veggie gardens. Wait, everyone should do that anyways.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well sort of.... For the home survivalist here are a few things that one should take into consideration to future proof against climate change;

Get out of the city. For anyone that can, do so. Employment might be more difficult in rural areas, but city folk have absolutely no idea how vulnerable they are to climate change. When things start to get hairy in upcoming years, on the land with your own food supply will be the best place to be. Cities will become nightmarish apocalyptic hellholes where food and water will become scarce quantities.

Stable water supply. Mega droughts are here to stay, so making sure you have access to a constant water supply for both home and garden is critical.

Flood mitigation. Just as droughts are here to stay, so is flooding. Make sure that where you live is not in a flood prone or landslide prone area.

Stay away from coastlines. The oceans are rising and storm surges are getting bigger.

Beware of fault lines - new faults are waking up and old ones are becoming more active. Earthquake prone areas are more dangerous than ever now.

Take up beekeeping. The good old european honeybee is becoming an endangered species. Without our care and protection even if you take care to ensure all of the above is taken care of we still may starve because there are no bees to pollinate our crops.
edit on 24-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Not really...read the whole article in the link of the OPs

To reiterate what we said earlier, published research on these bubbles is still forthcoming, and Titovsky in particular says he's not done with his field investigation yet, so we'll have to take these conclusions with a grain of salt until the results are verified. But the priority right now is for researchers to identify which bubbles pose a threat to the locals, and provide a map highlighting the potential explosion 'hot spots'. "We need to know which bumps are dangerous and which are not," Titovsky told The Siberian Times. "Scientists are working on detecting and structuring signs of potential threat, like the maximum height of a bump and pressure that the earth can withstand. Work will continue all through 2017."

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Okay, you got me there. BUT......

The release of methane from the Arctic is in itself a major contributor to global warming as a result of polar amplification. Recent observations in the Siberian arctic show increased rates of methane release from the Arctic seabed.[4] Land-based permafrost, also in the Siberian arctic, was estimated in 2013 to release 17 million tonnes of methane per year – a significant increase on the 3.8 million tons estimated in 2006, and estimates before then of just 0.5 million tonnes.[10][11][12] This compares to around 500 million tonnes released into the atmosphere annually from all sources.[10] Shakhova et al. (2008) estimate that not less than 1,400 gigatonnes (Gt) of carbon is presently locked up as methane and methane hydrates under the Arctic submarine permafrost, and 5–10% of that area is subject to puncturing by open taliks. They conclude that "release of up to 50 Gt of predicted amount of hydrate storage [is] highly possible for abrupt release at any time". That would increase the methane content of the planet's atmosphere by a factor of twelve.[13]

en.wikipedia.org...

The issue of methane releases in Siberia is still a massive worry. Whether these 'bubbles' are indicators of more releases building or not, the amount being released is increasing at an alarming rate.
edit on 24-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Jumpin Jack Flash it's a gas gas gas.....

MR

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
So with it being cyclic, it makes me wonder how the cyclic process was hundreds of million years ago when the atmosphere was oxygen rich and things were much bigger like dinosaur big.

Could natural process explain the transformation?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sounds like everyone needs to replace their ornamental shrub and lawn with berry bushes and veggie gardens. Wait, everyone should do that anyways.

Unfortunately, some cities have banned homeowners from having gardens inside the city limits, stating they're eyesores.

guardianlv.com...

We investigated having a garden here in our little town, but can't because city by-laws state we have to have a certain percentage of lawn in the backyard. There's no room for a garden as our yard is just too small and front yard gardens are a no-go. Not allowed.

As for the OP, holy cow! That guy jumping up and down is just... well, crazy! If that thing were to have ruptured, he'd be going on a ride. No joke, hehe.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

According to your Antarctica Ice Core Data, all of known human history (the last 12,000 years or so) has taken place at the very peak of one of these spikes... And what we should be more concerned about, which we can predict by looking at the chart/graph, is the near instantaneous 10 +/- degree drop in temperature which we should now or soon be entering the preliminary stages of.

The inhabitable area of the earth could be reduced to a 1000-2000 mile band around the equator, (most of which, i believe is open ocean, so, not a lot of land available) the rest being covered by half mile thick, or more, glaciers. With so much of the atmosphere trapped in the ice, only near-sea-level elevations would have breathable air. Oxygen tanks would be required for high elevations, (like, 1000 feet and up) and special suits will be developed for even higher elevations (2000 feet and up).

the good news is, most of the people will probably freeze to death or starve while trying to escape the frozen regions, so there will not be as much overpopulation or fighting over land and resources. There will be fighting
, it just wont be billions dead in the wars like you might be thinking, cause on Day 1 after the cstaclysm, there will only be a little more than 2 billion people alive, and that amount would be reduced to around 1 billion within less than 2 years.

It's probably something to do with a hitherto unknown cycle of our sun or galaxy.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You have climate researcher Natalia Shakhova visibly choking back tears when trying to discuss this - someone who has seen the end.

See 5min and about 16s in, over the next minute she nearly loses composure.
edit on 6Fri, 24 Mar 2017 06:53:09 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago3 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Lots of research papers out there showing the methane leaks from the Earth could be causing planet warming. Sounds more plausible to me than any of Al Gore's false predictions.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Lots of research papers out there showing the methane leaks from the Earth could be causing planet warming. Sounds more plausible to me than any of Al Gore's false predictions.

Nope, nope, nope! Those papers have to be wrong. No one can figure out a way to tax natural methane emissions.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
Yeah, the permafrost thing will hit us by surprise. And everybody will be like: Why hasn't anybody done anything about it?

There have been a ton of studies and a whole lot of disagreement.
Good info here

robertscribbler.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

I didn't see any "choking back tears". I saw a scientist attempting to (and doing a pretty good job) of translating scientific research into her non-native tongue.

I think you're reading a little too much drama into that clip.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join