It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxymoron Alert: Liberals Fine with anyone coming into the country but A Okay with Abortion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

FANTASTIC apples to oranges comparison. You couldn't have made less of a point if you tried.

PS: You are misusing the word oxymoron.
edit on 24-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
Pro Choice = tolerant as you are willing to let people make their own decision. Pro Life = intolerant as you don't believe people should be able to make their decision.

Amazing how many people don't realise what pro choice means, isn't it?

You do realize the words 'life & choice' don't appear in the title of this thread, don't you?

An oxymoron is a literary device, it's a phrase or a term that contains two contracting words. A sentence describing two opposing ideologies is not an oxymoron. The more fitting term for the OP's point is hypocrisy.

I gave a perfect example of an oxymoron, which is 'tolerant liberal.'

And then I even gave the definition of hypocrisy.

Amazing how many people didn't do well in 'literature' when they were in school, isn't it?

edit on 3/24/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

originally posted by: uncommitted
Pro Choice = tolerant as you are willing to let people make their own decision. Pro Life = intolerant as you don't believe people should be able to make their decision.

Amazing how many people don't realise what pro choice means, isn't it?

You do realize the words 'life & choice' don't appear in the title of this thread, don't you?

An oxymoron is a literary device, it's a phrase or a term that contains two contracting words. A sentence describing two opposing ideologies is not an oxymoron. The more fitting term for the OP's point is hypocrisy.

I gave a perfect example of an oxymoron, which is 'tolerant liberal.'

And then I even gave the definition of hypocrisy.

Amazing how many people didn't do well in 'literature' when they were in school, isn't it?

The whole of the OP's point is about a pro life preacher, and you used the term 'tolerant liberal' as an oxymoron, where to my understanding a liberal is more inclined to be pro choice so is therefore more tolerant. For you to suggest that being pro choice is not being liberal would tend to fit into the the meaning of hypocrisy.

I did very well in literature thanks, in fact I gained my school education in English literature a year ahead of schedule. The problem is, 'literature' is neither here nor there in your post, it's English language as opposed to English literature that would define the meaning of a word. Oh dear, but at least you tried.
edit on 24-3-2017 by uncommitted because: added an n

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

The whole of the OP's point is about a pro life preacher, and you used the term 'tolerant liberal' as an oxymoron, where to my understanding a liberal is more inclined to be pro choice so is therefore more tolerant. For you to suggest that being pro choice is not being liberal would tend to fit into the the meaning of hypocrisy.

If you were going by the 1960s definition of liberal, you would be correct. Too bad liberal means something completely different today thanks to the democrats.

I did very well in literature thanks, in fact I gained my school education in English literature a year ahead of schedule. The problem is, 'literature' is neither here nor there in your post, it's English language as opposed to English literature that would define the meaning of a word. Oh dear, but at least you tried.

English literature is part of the English language. Surely someone who had completed their literature a year ahead of their school's schedule would know this, no? English literature specifically covers literary devices such as oxymorons, contradictions, onomatopoeias, similes, metaphors, analogies, iambic pentameter, etc. How you use a word belongs in literature.

Hilarious how you've been proven wrong twice three times now, and you're still arguing.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevemagegod
I tend to stay neutral for the most part on the Abortion debate but i couldn't help but notice a Oxymoron here by reading social media comments about this case.

Oklahoma lawmaker defends anti-abortion bill, says rape and incest are ‘will of God’

Rep. George Faught says rape and incest are the 'will of God' when asked about his anti-choice bill that would prevent a woman from aborting a fetus with a viable genetic abnormality.

Tolerant Liberal Comment Example From Facebook:

This guy is a great example of why, for some people, I'm pro retroactive abortion.

Perhaps, if you weren't so reactionary, you would have noticed the "retroactive" part of the comment - which, by the way, means: "after the fact". The commentor is not condoning aborting unborn children/fetuses/zygotes/whathaveyou. They are condoning ridding the world of useless, backwards-thinking, political fossils such as the aforementioned Oklahoma lawmaker. A sentiment that, I'm sure, many of us agree with

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Not when there are many of them ... *group support/thinking* will ensure

they do not lose their fanatical ideals. Its more than a religion, Its a way

of life.

Yeah, I am not a fan of mass migration of any non western group (outside of, I suppose, east/southeast asian). small doses spread out is fine, give time for integration, then a few more, etc.

As far as the refugee issue goes, I am a softie and know full well plenty of decent people are trying to just get out of the hellhole, but at the same time, plenty aren't fit for western society.

Women and children first no single men. let them sort out some safe zone in north africa or something.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

the first thing that should be done about the refugee problems would be stop playing our role in creating the hell holes! once we have played our part in creating them, we kind of end up with a moral obligation to assist the innocents our actions have so severely affected. that's the sticking point for me. if your actions make a few million people's homes uninhabitable, should you have at least a moral obligation to provide those few million people new homes somewhere that is inhabitable?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I just don't get this obsession with abortion.

Don't agree with it?

Don't have one.

What happened to the ideal that America was all about individual freedom and individual responsibility?
I know it was a bit of a myth, but surely it's one that most of you aspire to, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

There shouldn't be a but in "Oxymoron Alert: Liberals Fine with anyone coming into the country but A Okay with Abortion"
It should be "and"

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Your definition of the word liberal is one you choose it to be, not the actual definition. Pro Choice is liberal, Democrats are more likely to be Pro Choice, therefore Democrats are more likely to be liberal. The fact you choose to define it differently isn't my problem.

The language defines, literature uses. If anything oxymoron is a rhetorical device, not a literary device. So, just in case you need help learning the language, your phrase "English literature specifically covers" would be better phrased as "English literature makes use of....."

But don't sweat it, it's not a big deal. Sad it upsets you so much, you'll get over it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join