It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

resistance at work....advice is much appreciated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
so i work in the assembly department but i do not work for the department. i work for quality.
i was in the fab shop but after a short rotation on 3rd shift i went to assembly.

ive been in this department for 5-6 weeks i guess and every day i get resistance from the crew. not all of them but about half.
they have to build things according to prints. i am there to make sure things function and are built to spec. i am also there to help them with any issue they may have even though only 2 guys ever ask me anything.
it is just constant resistance about things that should be a non issue but always become one. sometimes they will not have a print in front of them. i ask why and of course the answer is "the supervisor didnt give me one"....to that i say they need to ask their supervisor or ask me before they start their job. BEFORE. i want a print in front of them all the time....to that i get told they dont need it or it has never been a problem before...i hate that #. i dont care about before. i got put in their department full time for a reason...# changes.
that is a minor one but i will ask them to use certain tools for certain things and i get resistance about that.
i will reject something and they will start bitching about how the guy before me would led it slide....i mean bitching and complaining.....why?
i could see if i rejected something because of something they did but not if it was an issue on fab side or paint. whats it to them? why give me #?
today is what pushed me to the edge. i went to one of the tables as a guy was finishing his job and i saw something i didnt like. it was nothing to do with his work. it was an error from welding/grinding. i set it on my table, took a pic with my phone and sent an email to my boss. i then told him to leave it set aside and a decision will be made before the part moves out of our area. i went to the office to call engineering and when i cam back the part was gone. this dude took it off my table and put it on the bottom of a skid and stacked a bunch of # on top of it and was wrapping it as i walked back through.
his reasoning was nobody has ever said anything before. i lost my # a little bit. told him how it is not his decision to to that. then i had to go tell his supervisor the deal...
so i had him pull it back out and of course he was bitching about that.
i went to the office to call my boss and he asked me if i want him out of there and i told him yes.
he said he would take care of it and that was it.
1 guy already got let go because of his lack of cooperation with me. that was about 2 weeks ago. right around then my supervisor said if people become an ongoing problem to let him know and they will be let go or rotated to a different part of the shop.

so how do you or would you handle possibly letting people go? it will not be me actually doing the terminating but it will be because of me and oddly enough even though the guy already let go and the guy about to be is a pain in the ass i feel bad about it.
i dont know what they have going on but i know they have responsibilities.....
im trying not to let it bother me cause at the same time i tell myself they should care more than me about their job and if they did they wouldnt put themselves in a position to be let go.

it just sucks that i have to explain my reasons for everything and then get told all the reasons why i should or shouldnt do what i am doing. it is getting old fast.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It could a few different issues, it could be you the new guy telling them what to do.

Also it could be, i personally build and fix things, and often the people who design or want things done one way does not always work best.

Or there just a holes and making your life miserable.

edit on 23-3-2017 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
It could a few different issues, it could be you the new guy telling them what to do.

Also it could be, i personally build and fix things, and often the people who design or want things done one way does not always work best.

Or there just a holes and making your life miserable.

im with you on all you said. sure.
in the end though the bitching is not needed.
even though what i want done needs to get done i try to start every interaction off with "can you do me a favor"

about your middle portion though.
it is their job to build things according to the print. it is not their job to decide to do things differently or to change things. not their job to decide what is acceptable.
just being honest.

there is more to it than say them deciding to use a different piece of hardware(washer. nut. pin. etc)
we can not just change what is called for.
even to change a washer for example there need to be an engineering change form submitted and approved.
not their fault they dont know this as they have no reason to. the fact remains it is not their call to deviate from procedure and definitely not their call to slip # onto a skid that i have on hold

edit on 23-3-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They're not bitching, they're complaining about your NCRs. Make them less personal, blame the bosses pressuring you to pull them up. Get on their side.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If you want to try to help them before they have to be let go, a successful strategy is progressive discipline. You would tell them initially what you expect each and every day...merely setting and explaining the standard. At this meeting you would also explain the progressive discipline plan, should it become needed. First offense would be a verbal warning. Second offense of a similar nature (second time not using print) would result in a document that spells out what their infraction was, when they were verbally counseled for it the first time, and the consequences of a third offense. You and the employee would sign and date this document. If it happens a third time...well, they probably don't want to be there. Your HR department would likely love this process as well, as it should cut down on any favoritism complaints related to dismissals.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
They're not bitching, they're complaining about your NCRs. Make them less personal, blame the bosses pressuring you to pull them up. Get on their side.

why bitch about any non conformance though? it serves no purpose.

im not opposed to getting on their side but what my supervisors have me doing is not unreasonable you know?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

From reading your posting history it seems to me you are never happy when it comes to your jobs, are you sure it's a them problem and not a you problem?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
If you want to try to help them before they have to be let go, a successful strategy is progressive discipline. You would tell them initially what you expect each and every day...merely setting and explaining the standard. At this meeting you would also explain the progressive discipline plan, should it become needed. First offense would be a verbal warning. Second offense of a similar nature (second time not using print) would result in a document that spells out what their infraction was, when they were verbally counseled for it the first time, and the consequences of a third offense. You and the employee would sign and date this document. If it happens a third time...well, they probably don't want to be there. Your HR department would likely love this process as well, as it should cut down on any favoritism complaints related to dismissals.

thanks for that advice. i like the idea of it all being recorded too.
their supervisor has told me that he has to have the same meetings/talks with them almost monthly. some of the issues are quality related that i have brought up. some of them have been brought up before. a lot of the issues has nothing to do with me...work ethic. cell phones. # like that
he said it goes smooth for a week or 2 and then it gets progressively bad again so its time for another meet.

most of that has nothing to do with me and why i am there. i dont know why they give people so much room before something happens.
i do know though they they are not playing when it comes to quality.....

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Gotta ask.
How large is the company?

How many employees, and do you rely on certain employees for production speed and knowledge?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

From reading your posting history it seems to me you are never happy when it comes to your jobs, are you sure it's a them problem and not a you problem?

please man. ive bitched about work just like everyone else has.
im sure its a them problem.

read my post above.

this bitching and complaining and them having to be constantly reminded about # is not new cause i am there now. their supervisor said it is a constant battle with them too but about mostly different issues.

it is new for me because ive never been in this position before where i have to keep an eye on what people are doing and explain things to them and quite frankly expect things from them.
the last foundry i was at # went from the melt shop, to heat treat, then to me....
this is new for me which is why i am asking for advice...

thanks for coming in a thread asking for advice and offering no advice...
i did read between the lines though.
why dont you just tell me to stop being an asshole?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Gotta ask.
How large is the company?

How many employees, and do you rely on certain employees for production speed and knowledge?

pretty big. been around since 82 i think.
they employ about 300 hundred people across several departments and buildings.
the fab shop relies on people for their speed and knowledge.
honestly though...my department not so much.
the # they build is not complicated at all. not really any pressure on them to haul ass. the pressure is starting though to tighten up quality.

they have all kinds of time to munch on #. drink stuff. mess with their phones even though they are not supposed to. lots of time to talk. thats another one that frosts me though it is not my problem.
example

100 parts need to be built so each of the 4 tables of 2 guys need to build 25 parts.
one table will finish their 25 and the table next to them will still have x amount to build.
do you think the guys that finished already go to the next table to help??
oh no. they talk and bull# and disappear.

to be fair their position does not pay well. the flip to that though is the job is not hard at all.
no PPE required. in at 6am. out at 2:30. no weekends. nothing crazy heavy. nothing really dirty.
definitely entry level.
in the big picture they do not make great money but at the same time they do not have a hard job. not at all.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

why dont you just tell me to stop being an asshole?

Lol, would that help?

You want advice, play nice and treat the guys the same way you want to be treated, the only thing that matters is you bringing home a regular paycheck every week or bi weekly.

It's a catch 22, if you get too cozy with the boss you will never be trusted and the guys will make sure things don't get done correctly and if you are too close to the guys then the boss will fire you, you have to find that sweet spot in the middle, it's not easy trust me I spent many years as a steward.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

You want advice, play nice and treat the guys the same way you want to be treated, the only thing that matters is you bringing home a regular paycheck every week or bi weekly.

It's a catch 22, if you get too cozy with the boss you will never be trusted and the guys will make sure things don't get done correctly and if you are too close to the guys then the boss will fire you, you have to find that sweet spot in the middle, it's not easy trust me I spent many years as a steward.

i do play nice. i really try to start each conversation with them with can you do me a favor

"can you do me a favor and...."
even though it needs to be done thats how i approach it.

youre right what matters is me bringing home a paycheck. to that end though if i miss stuff and it gets to a customer or i see things that i dont address it could cause me to not get that check.

i dont just flip out for no reason.
i lost my # a little bit when i cam back out and the part i had on my table made its way back to a skid that was being wrapped.
i got pissed because i was waiting for an answer from my boss. those answers dont always come right away. if it would have made its way further down the line before i got my answer(if it was no) i would have been the one to have to answer for that...i felt justified in getting pissed off.

and totally correct about the last part

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I work off and on in a similar company.
Last large order I was a lead hand. I attempted to deal with such problem childs, but ended up just accepting it and letting the supervisors know the issues. Not long after they disappear, to a different position, or were let go.
There were several measures put in place to weed out the bad apples.
Generally the bad ones were put on small parts (from what I am reading you were put with those types of people) and the good ones were in final assembly, and put on more delicate positions.

One way to get people is to have them all be assigned a number, each part they make, they need to sign with a marker. If there's an issue down at QA, then you can trace it back to them, eventually (in theory) they will get tired of being yelled at and do their job.

But you need to just accept it, be friendly and don't try to be the bad guy. Just take notice and let the supervisors do the dirty work, it's not your job to discipline people. I was fortunate enough to just mention someone was slacking and they'd get replaced, and have to train their replacement.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I work off and on in a similar company.
Last large order I was a lead hand. I attempted to deal with such problem childs, but ended up just accepting it and letting the supervisors know the issues. Not long after they disappear, to a different position, or were let go.
There were several measures put in place to weed out the bad apples.
Generally the bad ones were put on small parts (from what I am reading you were put with those types of people) and the good ones were in final assembly, and put on more delicate positions.

One way to get people is to have them all be assigned a number, each part they make, they need to sign with a marker. If there's an issue down at QA, then you can trace it back to them, eventually (in theory) they will get tired of being yelled at and do their job.

But you need to just accept it, be friendly and don't try to be the bad guy. Just take notice and let the supervisors do the dirty work, it's not your job to discipline people. I was fortunate enough to just mention someone was slacking and they'd get replaced, and have to train their replacement.

these are smaller parts but it is final assembly. the guys on the next line are on larger, more complicated parts that take far more time and those guys are all awesome. no bitching at all.
you called that one
they all have a sticker that goes on the inside of their part with each of the 2 mans initials but even that is not accurate.
on some jobs for example 1 table will assemble all the doors and pass them down to the other 3 tables. all the stickers say assembled by the 2 guys on table 1 that did the doors even though they didnt assemble on the other 3 tables.
this is something i have to deal with.

absolutely know it is not my job to discipline people which is why if it is not quality related i dont say anything. it is not my problem that they dont help each other or mess with their phones but it does bother me.
not my problem in the end though.

thanks for the advice.
it is a fast turn around in this department too. lots of temps in and out. mostly what gets them is attendance i guess. in a month there will be a couple different guys on the line.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

There is no easy answer when it come to working for others.

Just remember your family comes first and I truly wish you and your family all the luck, health and good fortune.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

There is no easy answer when it come to working for others.

Just remember your family comes first and I truly wish you and your family all the luck, health and good fortune.

thanks man
nice to hear from you.
i know we have a difference of opinion on some things....
thank you though

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

From the sounds of it that position needs a strong on hand leader, although I was a lead hand in my position there was a senior lead hand always looming, helping me when necessary, doing the same tasks, etc. But if someone was out of line, he was not hesitant to call them out.
But even he let a lot slide, BUT, only if quality was there, and the production incentive was met at the end of the day.
I can recall him calling me out a few times, it was like a disappointed father.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

From the sounds of it that position needs a strong on hand leader, although I was a lead hand in my position there was a senior lead hand always looming, helping me when necessary, doing the same tasks, etc. But if someone was out of line, he was not hesitant to call them out.
But even he let a lot slide, BUT, only if quality was there, and the production incentive was met at the end of the day.
I can recall him calling me out a few times, it was like a disappointed father.

youre absolutely right. there is a supervisor but he does not do much in the way of keeping them on task...i dont know why cause he catches # about that....i have never said anything cause the dude is super nice and i like him a lot. i dont want to throw him under the bus but having said all that he is far too lax with his crew in my opinion.
you dont have to be a tyrant but little things like no cell phones. theyre not supposed to have phones but he lets it slide cause they all have speakers on their table so they pipe in pandora and such. it does not stop there though. they all text a lot or are on facebook a lot...some of them have youtube up watching videos.
i see it. i find it hard to believe their supervisor does not.

frustrating

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

First - you are not going to like my answer but it is based on 30 years experience.

Are you a woman working with men?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join