It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man held for 'driving at crowd' in Antwerp, Belgium - Beraking news on BBC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Link

A man has been arrested in the north Belgian city of Antwerp on suspicion of driving at a crowd, police say.

A police spokesman said the vehicle had French number plates and was driven "at high speed" into the Meir, Antwerp's main shopping street.

"A man in camouflage was taken away," the spokesman said in a televised news conference in Antwerp. There have been no reports of injuries.

Security has been stepped up in the city, he added.

The attack comes a day after a car was driven at high-speed along London's Westminster Bridge, resulting in the deaths of four people - including the driver - and injuring 40.

It was also the day Belgium marked the first anniversary of the twin bomb attacks in Brussels, that killed 32 people.

Obviously it's too early to judge what's going on, but it makes me (at least) wonder
Has a copycat plot just been foiled, are the police getting jumpy ... ?

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

At this rate we are going to have to modify vehicles so that you can only drive them while chewing on a piece of bacon...

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The religion of "peace" strikes again.....

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

At this rate we are going to have to modify vehicles so that you can only drive them while chewing on a piece of bacon...

HAHA you just won the internet for the day!!! I literally lol when I read that.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nope, someone was driving at high speed, on a road and an attempt was made to pull the vehicle over. The vehicle evaded the stop attempt and a chase ensued culminating in a high speed chase and the arrest of the driver of the vehicle.

High speed chases are part and parcel of police work, they happen every day as can be witnessed on loads of fly on the wall programmes like (in the UK - Police Interceptors)

People run from the police for various reasons.

Not necessarily a terrorist attack, thwarted or otherwise. But hey, lets all jump to conclusions

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

HAHA you just won the internet for the day!!! I literally lol when I read that.

Then my work here is done, fella!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Maybe car makers should do away with plastic and leather for internal furnishings : use pigskin instead ;p)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel

Maybe car makers should do away with plastic and leather for internal furnishings : use pigskin instead ;p)

Never be able to take the dog in the car though, she'd think it was a chew toy

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I think all of us who know we have let an enemy in and are continuing to do so can safely now say:

"Told you so".

We are all gonna be jumpy as hell now and things will not be as nice. Really sad that it has to be like this. I'm so worried I will not go to London or Paris any more because I don't trust what might happen. They are potential hotbeds where any carnage might occur at any given moment. This is the fear and insecurity we have brought upon ourselves for being hospitable.
edit on 23-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Interesting thought, maybe this is the kind of sh# that starts the push for mandatory smart cars..?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
Interesting thought, maybe this is the kind of sh# that starts the push for mandatory smart cars..?

That's a thought that occurred to me too.
A good way of banning all the less efficient, self drive vehicles that people speed in and can go anywhere without filing a "flight plan".

If they want my bike, they can shoot me off it.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Alles wat we nu weten over mogelijk vermeden aanslag in Antwerpen
Everything we know so far about the planned attck in Antwerp - article in Dutch

- Fransman van Tunesische origine (39) opgepakt: verschillende wapens in wagen aangetroffen waaronder riot-gun en steekwapens.
- Hij werd aan Sint-Michielskaai onderschept nadat hij aan hoge snelheid de drukke winkelstraat Meir was opgereden waardoor voetgangers opzij moesten springen.
- In de auto met Franse nummerplaat is ook een bus met een onbekende substantie aangetroffen.
- Waakzaamheid in Antwerpen wordt opgevoerd.

- French citizen of Tunisian origin (39) arrested : various weapons were found in the car including a riot-gun and knives
- He got caught on Sint-Michielkaai after he drove at high speed through pedestrian commercial street Meir, pedestrians had to jump away from the car's path
- In the french-registered car was a box with unknown substance also found
- Surveillance in Antwerp is strenghten.

Thank you for opening the thread.

edit on 23-3-2017 by theultimatebelgianjoke because: filled out

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So are they going to try forcing "driverless cars" or automatic piloting on the masses so that people can't do this anymore?

Trucks/cars are the new "hip" thing for terrorists I guess. What a crazy f*cked up world we live in..

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Nope, someone was driving at high speed, on a road and an attempt was made to pull the vehicle over. The vehicle evaded the stop attempt and a chase ensued culminating in a high speed chase and the arrest of the driver of the vehicle.

High speed chases are part and parcel of police work, they happen every day as can be witnessed on loads of fly on the wall programmes like (in the UK - Police Interceptors)

Not necessarily a terrorist attack, thwarted or otherwise. But hey, lets all jump to conclusions

he had knives, a riot-gun and a not-yet id'ed can of liquid in his car. But sure, lets give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume that was just for recreational purposes

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I think a lot of central London will become pedestrian only areas after yesterdays attack! I think that's a good thing anyway as there's too much traffic & pollution.

As to whether it will stop any attacks in the future? By car/lorry/truck it would but not for those who want to travel in by transport such as buses or trains and that could be even worse... you'll be stuck in a carriage with some lunatic going mental! Does that make sense? Lunatic going Mental? If he/she is already a lunatic, can he or shoe go mental anymore than they already are? Now there's a conundrum for ya.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

From a conspiracy angle, one could assume this is all being done in order to push towards driverless self driving vehicles.

Maybe it's all orchestrated by google

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

He is called Mohammed R. and is from North Africa. What on Earth are the chances is is NOT a muslim?
I mean even if he had Muslim terrorist tattooed on his forehead there would be some eejits coming up with an excuse. How blind must one be, how much must one not want to open their eyes and acknowledge the obvious?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

We are all gonna be jumpy as hell now

I know quite a few of us who are already nervous about their daily commute.
Colleagues have said that they've changed carriages or gotten off at an earlier stop because 'something doesn't feel right', someone 'looks a bit strange' ...

All it would take, is an idiot shouting out Allahou Akbar for s#its 'n' giggles, and there would be melt down.

But what can we do ?
Just stay alert, i guess.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Hahaha...I couldn`t understand you at first. I was like bacon, does he mean Canadian bacon? Then it struck me like car....oh, he meant, oh i get it...smart one

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya
You may be right as that was the first thing that came to my mind after reading the post.

I honestly believe we are being trained, conditioned, herded and culled.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join