It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuff made from Antler, Cow's horn and Wood

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Happy Thursday ATS, i emerge from my deep cover to drop a bunch of pics of my latest makings upon you all!

All of these be finished in the last few weeks, and i learned a lot of new stuff working on all this. Cut myself about a million times too, typically ignoring it and then getting myself in the exact same spot 30 seconds later

So as a bald dude, i obviously somehow started making combs. It was a good excuse to grow a beard again.

All purely antler.. the next have cow's horn tines and the ends of the antler handles are capped with horn too.

The last one is actually dangerously sharp, it would turn a muggers face in to pulled pork

I still make a fair few antler rings as well, it's hypnotic.

So one of the new things i have been trying is more carving of patters, shapes, faces etc which i've been putting off really. It's been slow going, to make sure i get things right but it's paid off and i've been really happy with the results.. sadly i lost the two sun-disks below. i've turned the house upside down and they have to be here somewhere but...

Ta for lewking, and i love talking about hand-crafting so i'm happy to share if anyone wants to know more

...just looked at the preview, sorry for the big pics but i just spent half an hour downsizing them already :/

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Man, in 1000 years they're going to find these and wonder what ancient civilisation they came from.

They'll find printouts in vaults of ATS and wonder how we such a society ever crumbled.

They are awesome. Best I ever did was a cow leg pipe :/

good stuff mate !!! Love the work, shows you love doing it.
bald or not (I'm going bald, so shh) but who ever combs their beard? Oo they're supposed to be wily and unkempt. that's my excuse anyhoo..

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
ps

I have a knife with a bone carved handle, and it is just awesome to me.

I'm going to have to source myself an antler ring, they look amazing. just love them...

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneWrecche

Haha, many thanks! Ii like that a lot

Combed beards are more effective on ze laydeez. Seriously, the results are in

And get making that ring dude, all you need is a a hacksaw, knife and sandpaper. They're fun to make

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

First I need a lady to be effective on, well, in a positive way
lol

Absolutely. I had a full set of wood carving chisels as a kid, but never the intention to use them. I think it's time to get that going again. Seeing what you've created, is inspirational.

Still will have to work with bovine left overs, nothing here in Australia has antlers. but the imagination is not left perturbed by obstacles, it is enhanced !!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Very nice. Thanks for showing us. I like the rings, ok I liked it all! : )

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I only got back at making stuff gradually maybe ten years ago.. it's surprising what you can do by (seriously) watching youtube vids, reading forums and just having a crack at it.

Antler is true bone btw, so it not too different from cow bone. Easily bought on ebay too and i'm pretty sure Oz doesn't restrict antler imports, i know of some antler crafters down under.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
BALDY where have you been?! We missed you!
I need to get a handle off you sometime and maybe a comb. A friend I havent seen in years recognised me in the dark by my beard the other day!
I'll trade you for fine leather goods made by a genuine viking

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

Hey
yeah, this place can get a little silly for me at times.

I genuinely will trade for viking leather goods!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I know you are using a good mask, respirator working with bone and antler. Just a reminder.

I got very sick working with organic materials. Abalone is the worst.

Be careful.

Beautiful work!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I usually dust-mask up, though i work outside mostly and don't work much skeletal stuff at a time. Once i get a workshop i'll go full respirator. Shells are particularly nasty, some are carcinogenic and and are traditionally worked underwater for this reason i believe.

and ta!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

BEAUTIFUL! What do you use to carve those? I imagine its pretty hard, so do you have to use carbide tools?
Great work! I love seeing things done 'traditionally'!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real
I just use regular steel chisels, knives, files etc. Bone and horn get softer and easier to work in various ways when soaked in various things and/or heated but you do have to use your tools a little differently at times compared to many woods. The general lack of grain can make it easier at times, though bone is much harder than most woods. Soaking in water is the go-to softening method but it's neither essential or the only thing folk do.

It's real interesting stuff to work with. Horn too, it's a thermoplastic so there is a lot of scope for learning new stuff about shaping it..

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So rad.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
skalla

That is beautiful work. Such talent. I absolutely love this one:

Thanks so much for sharing..

blend57

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Really great stuff.....very impressive.
The combs are great.

I think the pieces with the faces are my favorites

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thank you, i've wanted to carve faces/heads etc to use for decorating sticks etc for ages and always put it off to work on other stuff instead. Done a fair bit of watching techniques in the past and just made the time this last several days.. proceeding slowly and thinking a lot about and sketching things out from both sides really helped. The small tines were practices for the larger wood one and they helped me out loads

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Coincidentally i was looking through some old messages elsewhere earlier and found one from the Aussie maker i mentioned to you, he said there were loads of feral deer where he was so maybe you could find some local materials after all

new topics

top topics

join