It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines United scandal grows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The Marines United scandal broke a couple weeks ago, when it leaked that Marines on social media were using their group to post nude photos of female service members, veterans, and even spouses. The group was shut down by NCIS, but more have popped up, and the people running them could care less about the damage being done.

Both the Army and Navy have reportedly found similar groups. The current "main" group is Marines United 3.0, and is run by Marine veterans. At least 17 offshoot groups have been identified.

“I don’t see a legal issue with it,” Former Marine Lance Cpl. Cody Fielder, an administrator of a new Marines United group, told LaPorta. “I do think there’s a moral issue with it, but there’s a lot of difference between the law and your own moral code… If the law wants to get involved, show me the passage that says this is illegal.”

The leadership has shown they care about as much. After the scandal broke, Marine commanders passed new social media rules that basically boil down to "don't embarrass us".

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That's going to be unpopular but... Unless they post personal info with the pictures I kind of agree.

I dislike it, I think it's a slap in the face to every female serving but some degree of personal responsibility has to be figured in.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
how will nude marines embarrass the Marines? I suppose if they have been out for forty years, their naked bodies may be embarrassing to the Marines.

I thought the naked Marines scam was a recruiting ploy.
edit on 22-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Because it's pretty nasty treatment of female Marines and service members.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Pictures, or it didn't happen. LOL.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I agree to an extent. But at the same time this is a great example of the utter failure the leadership has become.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I agree to an extent. But at the same time this is a great example of the utter failure the leadership has become.

Failure of leadership, or failure of expectations?

So far, all of the claims point to retired individuals starting and operating these sites. At what point does the responsibility over the individual, from the Marines, end and personal responsibility begin?

The Marines are not, and should not, be held liable for everything a Marine has done prior to service, or after. They are individuals that should be held accountable for their own actions.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

but some degree of personal responsibility has to be figured in.

yep some if not most of the pictures, were the WM 's/ female Marines taking their clothes off an posing for the pictures.
wouldn't be any to post on line if that didn't happen.
edit on 22-3-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

When soldiers watch their superiors get away with anything they want, with barely a slap on the wrist, over and over again then that is going to filter down.

An Air Force Academy alumni recently wrote about his visit back to the school. He was horrified at what he found. Where it used to say "Bring Me Men" as you entered, was now some long verse about unity. They barely touched on the Honor Code and didn't give a damn if it was violated. He walked into a room and the cadets barely even looked up, let alone braced as they should have.

All that is going to trickle down to the grunts. And yes, the admins appear to be out of the service, but they've found more than a few active duty troops. At what point do the leadership stand up and say enough.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Pictures, or it didn't happen. LOL.

I never got to see any of those pictures. Now I am kind of bummed. Well, technically I never looked for them either till after they were removed. I think they were removed anyway, I might not be very good at finding pictures of naked people. If I was young again, I would know how to find them.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
When soldiers watch their superiors get away with anything they want, with barely a slap on the wrist, over and over again then that is going to filter down.

If serving Marines are incapable of separating what retired members do from how they should act, your problem is far bigger than a website with some pictures on it.

An Air Force Academy alumni recently wrote about his visit back to the school. He was horrified at what he found. Where it used to say "Bring Me Men" as you entered, was now some long verse about unity. They barely touched on the Honor Code and didn't give a damn if it was violated. He walked into a room and the cadets barely even looked up, let alone braced as they should have.

You mean a sign that was changed because society now believes that organizations should be responsible for things they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as?

This example is precisely why you don't want to make this the Marine's responsibility. It is not their job to police retired members actions. There is, literally, police for that.

All that is going to trickle down to the grunts. And yes, the admins appear to be out of the service, but they've found more than a few active duty troops. At what point do the leadership stand up and say enough.

The Marines only need to deal with any current service persons involved. Everything else should be left to those who are supposed to be responsible for it.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The issue and legal question, as far as I understand it. Is that most of the pictures were NOT posted on the web by the individual.

They were shared with a boyfriend/sexual partner who most of the time happened to be another Marine.

After they broke up, relationship turned sour, whatever. The guy then shared/posted the images to the Facebook page.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

In defense of the current Marine leadership, the UCMJ is all they have and it is woefully outdated and in desperate need of revisions not only to bring it in line with the world today but to update it to current law. I would even go so far as to say it should be done away with all together and US law taking precedence instead, with the UCMJ utilized for non judicial punishment.

As for that idiot in your quote, this is the generation who believes it is not stealing when you download a movie or song without paying for it. The law is pretty clear in regards to taking pictures of individuals without consent, perhaps the laws need adjusting as to whether it is legal to post a picture online, any picture without that persons consent or knowledge.

What that individual doesn't seem to understand is that there are numerous ways for the Marine leadership to come after him, even if he is no longer in the Marines as he could still be in the Ready Reserve and subject to recall if he has not completed the contract. And since many of these individuals are participating in these forums as active members of the military, they are going to be caught.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'm not talking about retired leadership getting away with something. I'm talking about active duty leadership doing things that are blatantly against both the law and UCMJ, and at WORST retiring with a pension and security clearance. Then when an enlisted member does something far less serious, they get hammered for it.

It's far more than simply changing a sign because society believes that organizations should be responsible for things they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as. It's the j underlying mentality that goes with it. It used to be that of you were a cadet at an Academy you were held to a high standard. If you violated the Honor Code, you were done. Period. Now, the Honor Code is barely an afterthought.

If a senior officer or alumni came into your quarters, you braced until released. Now, their quarters are a safe space where military courtesy doesn't apply. Instead of a military academy where war is taught, now it's UCLA with uniforms.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

The major problem, with the Marines and every service, is that the UCMJ only applies to enlisted and officers that aren't members of a Society. And that is going to have a major effect on discipline service wide. And it finally has.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I agree and it has been an issue for a long time, and not with just punishment but promotions can be influenced either way by someones membership in one of the fraternity type societies. Its a reflection of what we sometimes see in politics, what we call in the south the good ole boys network.

I witnessed many times, individuals who could be considered Senior committing exact same offences as Juniors with the juniors in some cases going to confinement facilities and seniors either receiving reprimands or forced retirement and keep everything, i saw this in relation to drug offenses more than once.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The issues worse then just this though.

Back in the day (because I'm THAT old) Leaders lead, but for that to happen you need good leaders. I got out of the Marines back in the 90's, and the quality of Marines started to go away when Hazing was banned. I'm not saying that the two are connected (though I strongly feel they are) but I am saying that when they introduced that stupid week at the end of Boot Camp where you can get to know and friend your Drill Sgt I knew things weren't going to end well.

Then when Hagee started to drop the Marine game plan for a more Army like combat roll, it was all a matter of time before this type of junk happened. Look at the time he was the Director for Character Development at the United States Naval Academy. Drug trafficking, an auto-theft ring, cheating scandal, and lets not even get in the whole Zammora incident at the academy. Sure we can't put the blame all on him, but it doesn't help troop moral when higher ups are pushing a soft leadership skill when a solid directive of command is needed. Point is the leadership that the Corps has today was shaped by Hagee and the people that came after him.

To be fair though Neller's had some good points going for him, especially his "Getting back to Basics" philosophy of Marine training and troop handling. I just hope that the Corps can get back on track, and stop the stupid that's happening within it.
edit on 22-3-2017 by Guyfriday because: HA HA HA I made afunny spelling error, but it's corrected now.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
HEres a thought. no cameras or phones able to take them while you are a serving marine. OR if you take one and post it you are liable for all damages and are discharged.

I tell people. do no tlet anyone take naked pics of you if they are not married and trustworthy.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

It just happened again with the Army. The SecDef's senior advisor was busted ringing up $3,000 in charges at strip clubs on his government credit card, was investigated for sexual harassment, and had multiple charges recommended. The Army reduced him one rank to Brigadier, put a meaningless letter of reprimand in his file, and let him keep his security clearance.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

We're seeing that with all the services. They got the "kinder gentler" leadership in place and it's been downhill ever since.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join