Duck liver mousse
This recipe makes approximately 18 four oz jars. Or one large 72 oz big gulp.
Duck livers 34.5 Oz cleaned 1" pieces
Pork fatback 40.5 Oz 1" pieces
Chicken stock 1 pint
Heavy cream 1 pint
Shallots 22.5 g sliced
Parsley leaves 15 g
Egg Yolks 8
Madeira wine .5 cup
Pink salt 5.2 g
Salt 31.4 g
Dextrose 9 g
Black pepper 13.4 g
Five spice 1 g
Duck Fat 1 pint if you are not heavy handed.
1. Cook pork fatback in boiling water for five minutes. Drain and let cool to room temp.
2. In a sauce pot simmer stock, cream, madeira, shallots and parsley.
Depending on your blender this next step is best done in parts (I do three). That means you want to third all your ingredients and then blend. It
doesn't need to be perfect.
3. Combine all ingredients and blend in vitaprep until very smooth.
4. Pour into four oz glass containers.
5. Place jars in a Hotel/roasting/deep pan lined with a towel. Bake in a water bath for anywhere from 10 to 25 min at 250 degrees F.
6. Cook until you reach desired internal temp of 140 degrees F.
7. Remove jars from water bath and cook until solid.
8. Once cooked add a thin layer of duck fat.
9. Once the fat has set, light sprinkle of maldon sea salt.
10. Seal and enjoy.
11. Sell to your friend for 14 bucks a pop.
This is before the duck fat is added.
This is after the duck fat is added but not cold.
edit on 22-3-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)