It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Department of Transportation program helps minority businesses grow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki

originally posted by: eXia7

a reply to: PraetorianAZ

So if a white woman qualifies who is it racist to?

I think the poster is pointing out that people have privileges over another because of their race or gender. Basically because society has turned white privilege into minority privilege, further deepening the divide.

That's known as `discrimination`, which isn't the same thing as `racism` or `sexism`, although those things can lead to discrimination.

Here's an amazing book for anyone that likes to read, maybe you'll even understand why programs like this exist:

www.jstor.org...

Indeed, it is called discrimination. But you obviously know what the poster is getting at. You are just trying to bait him into an endless loop of comments not related to the topic.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777

You stated if you were a white male you get no help for your small business, I was just showing you ways you actually can.

Do you own a small business?

I am not talking about other ways small business owners can get help. I am talking about the program I mentioned above that only helps you if you are a minority or a female.

Yes I own a small business and I understand there are other programs that help small business owners. But I am not talking about those other programs unless those programs discriminate based on sex or race.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

originally posted by: Watcher777

You stated if you were a white male you get no help for your small business, I was just showing you ways you actually can.

Do you own a small business?

I am not talking about other ways small business owners can get help. I am talking about the program I mentioned above that only helps you if you are a minority or a female.

Yes I own a small business and I understand there are other programs that help small business owners. But I am not talking about those other programs unless those programs discriminate based on sex or race.

So, how do you feel about programs that are for whites and whites only?

Are those programs discriminating against others?

Because these programs do exist.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
This is probably a good thing.

Someone explain to me why nearly 100% of the CEOs of major corporations are white men. You would think in a more inclusive society there would be more women and minorities holding those positions.

Because businesses exist for one reason: to maximize profits. I realize there are some who find this distasteful, but it is the reality of business... if it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense. If minorities made better CEOs, most companies would have minority CEOs. We can discuss *why* "white men" apparently make more successful CEOs all day and likely cover a number of issues from biases to better opportunities to more solid foundations, but as it stands presently companies advance the individual identified as the best candidate to boost profits.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

You are 100% correct, I knew exactly what the OP was getting at, his hasty playing of the race card gave it away which is why my second post put him in a position where he had no choice but to realize there's nothing racist here.

It has everything to do with the OP, hence the reason why I linked a book that provides CONTEXT to the current situation. Check it out, I'll order a couple of copies for anyone that's interested, just PM me. Stepping away from social media and message boards and picking up a couple of books might provide you some insights on why certain things are they way they are in America.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
dp
edit on 3/22/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I believe that any program designed to help people achieve goals shouldn't be race or gender specific. Everybody willing to help themselves deserve help when they need it despite race or gender.

Do not confuse this sentiment with government handouts to people not willing to contribute to society.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

It is arguably the case, that white males have an easier time getting contracts for their small businesses, than do women and minorities, especially in trades where traditionally, the white male has dominated for centuries.

Therefore, the problem you have with this program, would appear to be that it seeks to correct an imbalance, not that it is imbalanced itself.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You do realize that stating a white CEO is better simply because he is white is the text book definition of racism right? Ironic considering the agency the OP is outraged about.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

You are 100% correct, I knew exactly what the OP was getting at, his hasty playing of the race card gave it away which is why my second post put him in a position where he had no choice but to realize there's nothing racist here.

It has everything to do with the OP, hence the reason why I linked a book that provides CONTEXT to the current situation. Check it out, I'll order a couple of copies for anyone that's interested, just PM me. Stepping away from social media and message boards and picking up a couple of books might provide you some insights on why certain things are they way they are in America.

I don't know how you can have a discussion about this topic without race being involved.. considering the situation is about race, and it seems to be targeted at white males. I feel like you are just in here trying to promote anger about race issues when the OP wasn't trying to "hide behind racism" Was just pointing out a government program discriminating against a race/gender of human being.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You do realize that stating a white CEO is better simply because he is white is the text book definition of racism right? Ironic considering the agency the OP is outraged about.

Reread what I posted. If you still find it to be the "text book definition of racism," oh well.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

A discussion about race and gender can be had without insinuating someone is racist or sexist.
If you feel like you are being 'targeted', then you have the issue. This program is discriminatory in nature, much like AA.

Given the current stats for business owners in the US, this program is needed. Again, the book I linked will provide of fair bit of context.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

A discussion about race and gender can be had without insinuating someone is racist or sexist.
If you feel like you are being 'targeted', then you have the issue. This program is discriminatory in nature, much like AA.

Given the current stats for business owners in the US, this program is needed. Again, the book I linked will provide of fair bit of context.

Perhaps the OP just confused sexism and racism with discrimination.. but like you said earlier that it can lead to discrimination. I mean all 3 words go hand in hand with this topic to be honest.

Maybe your disbelief that white males can be discriminated against based on race/gender has you upset.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Because businesses exist for one reason: to maximize profits. I realize there are some who find this distasteful, but it is the reality of business... if it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense. If minorities made better CEOs, most companies would have minority CEO

I did. Shall we break this down and analyze the syntax?

Your statement shows why programs like this are needed, unless you have some metrics that would show that whites do actually make better CEO's over minorities?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Because businesses exist for one reason: to maximize profits. I realize there are some who find this distasteful, but it is the reality of business... if it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense. If minorities made better CEOs, most companies would have minority CEO

I did. Shall we break this down and analyze the syntax?

Your statement shows why programs like this are needed, unless you have some metrics that would show that whites do actually make better CEO's over minorities?

It's not even about metrics or statistics. I all boils down to how ambitious people are. You people are acting like there are 0 African American CEOs or Female CEOs.

Like the ratio of black white female CEO's will have a 50/50 split by some twist of fate.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Upset? No, not all. Are you projecting some feelings onto me?

I've seen white men be discriminated, I've seen EVERY race endure discrimination, but that's not the point of the OP.

The notion that white men are being `targeted` (your words, and based of the presentation of the OP he agrees) in America is absolutely absurd.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Upset? No, not all. Are you projecting some feelings onto me?

I've seen white men be discriminated, I've seen EVERY race endure discrimination, but that's not the point of the OP.

The notion that white men are being `targeted` (your words, and based of the presentation of the OP he agrees) in America is absolutely absurd.

How is it absurd considering that's exactly what this program is doing. It excludes 1 race/gender specific group. Which would be white males. Why does the program feel the need to leave out just 1 gender/race specific group?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
This is probably a good thing.

Someone explain to me why nearly 100% of the CEOs of major corporations are white men. You would think in a more inclusive society there would be more women and minorities holding those positions. Of course, racism like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Can you prove that said CEO's are made CEO just because they are white?

Should people be made CEO just because they are not white?

Regardless, you're talking about major corporations where this story is about little people in business.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
We might as well discuss affirmative action as well. Because that program exists to disenfranchise others as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Arizona is on a big five-year plan it seems, apparantlyt rying to make it the next silicon valley, and there is certainly a heap of construction going on on and around Phoenix-Mesa, and also big troop movements being reported for whatever reasons. The same area has the mysterious Azlab facilities, they being part of the subject of the disappearing 'Alien' thread here that originated at 4Chan.

<< 1    3 >>

join