It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: fromtheskydown
Is it just me or am I going crazy??

It's not just you, and you're already crazy.

Flat earthers have poor science backing them up, the moon hoax people have poor science backing them up, creationists have poor science backing them up.

Until the Mandela Effect people read a book and conjure bad science to support their view they will continue to be mocked.
And rightfully so.

Show me a South African who thought Mandela died in jail. Just one.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
My jury is still out on this one. I've read quite a bit about this effect, and find that my memory agrees with some people but differs from others. I'm 66 years old. I KNOW my memory is going bad. But certainly not ALL of my memory.

I asked my wife if she remembers whether Mickey Mouse had suspenders or not. She said "of course he had suspenders!". I asked her to find me even one picture showing that. Which, of course, she couldn't. I remember the suspenders too.

I would have bet MONEY that I had eaten "Jiffy" peanut butter in the past.

As for the guy and the tanks issue, what I remember is that the tank STOPPED and did not run him over. THAT was what was so newsworthy about it. Matter of fact, some people were even claiming that it was staged because it was so unusual for that regime.

So how come there appears to be a lot of people with different memories when the noted effects are treated as a group? Some people will remember some things differently, and others the same, when the event in question is looked at as a binary comparison. You either remember it THIS way or THAT way. And if you remember that issue THIS way, why do you remember yet another issue as being from the "THAT way" side?

So here's the rub. If the Mendela Effect is real, who says that only two timelines (or universes) are available to be compared? There could be an infinite number of them, and there is bleedthrough from all of them.

If the Mendela Effect is NOT real, then how come there are so many people with the same exact faulty memory when one particular event is being discussed?

Which is the most likely hypothesis: (1) there really is such an effect that has taken place, or (2) there are a LOT of people on the planet that are just plain crazy.

How many of you have grandparents or other older relatives where both the husband and wife both are still alive? Ever notice how much they will argue about events that they both experienced, where one will strongly disagree with the other about what actually happened?

Heck, I remember an experience that is just impossible to understand without thinking that moving at least your point of reference in the universe from here to somewhere else is at least possible. Short version is that I was headed towards an automobile accident that was impossible to avoid. OK, I don't like using the word "impossible", because it seems to final, but for all intents and purposes, the word does fit this situation. So with the parked car in front of me completely unavoidable, all I did was to grip the steering wheel, closed my eyes, and thought "mom is going to KILL me" (I was driving her car). But the anticipated impact never happened. So I opened my eyes, and I was just drifting down the road in the car PAST where that parked car was dead in front of me instants ago like nothing had happened. I was in complete shock and had to pull over to the side of the road. What happened is just plain impossible with how the world is supposed to work with a single universe/timeline. So what the heck DID happen? And NO I did not whip the steering wheel to avoid that crash. Had I done that, I would have either crashed into the building to the right, or crashed into oncoming traffic to the left. I KNEW my goose was cooked and not a darn thing I could do about it, but *something* happened to get me out of it.

And if something like that can happen to me, why couldn't it happen to others too? If it happened once, how do I know it hasn't happened other times as well?

I doubt anyone can make a convincing case that we know all there is to know about "reality" to say that the Mendela Effect is just flat out impossible. Yeah, I know people would like to see proof other than what someone's memory states has happened, but how could there possibly be any proof? By the nature of what people believe about this Mendela Effect, proof is pretty much impossible to produce. All of the "proof" is in another timeline/universe, that you no longer have any access to.

But honestly, this isn't anything to drive yourself crazy over. After all, what can you do about it if it is true? And if it isn't true? Well, not much you can do about that either, now is it?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Don't forget the Tianamen Square one. I sat and watched the tanks roll in on TV and distinctly saw the guy in front of the tank getting run over. But the current version shows he didn't! And I'm not alone in this!

That guy was never run over.

In your time line or mine.

Proof ?

I can't prove his memory is faulty, only that 99.99% of the world remembers that the tank stopped.

In Tom Clancy's 2000 novel The Bear and the Dragon, the Chinese authorities apprehend and execute Tank Man, then bill the surviving family for the cost of the pistol round expended to shoot him in the back of the head.

Er, ok?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Yes! I totally agree with you! Thank you for putting it in words better than I could.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Has anyone who has claimed that they clearly remember Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s yet given full details of all the other - far ranging - differences in world events that occurred as a result of him not being released from prison - alive - and becoming the first post aparteid leader of SA? No.

Its all fake.

What people actually remember is the 1988 concert. But they have only vague memories of what happened, and when someone says it was when he died, they are suckered in and assume that must be it. He didnt die. We just had a bloody good concert (although I had to go to my cousins wedding that day, prior to my first trip to Skye ..... but thats another story!)
edit on 23-3-2017 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2017 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: fromtheskydown
Is it just me or am I going crazy??

Yes it is, and no you are not.

I'm getting seriously spooked...has my timeline been changed? **

No. It's a normal, common and explainable phenomena. It's scientifically proven to be a known fact that people will 'remember' the wrong facts. If you care to read about it, HERE it is. For example :

Over 400 participants in 'memory implantation' studies had fictitious autobiographical events suggested to them -- and it was found that around 50% of the participants believed, to some degree, that they had experienced those events.

But, as this is a Mandela thread, it means reason, logic and common sense have already been abandoned to stupidity.
edit on 23-3-2017 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The issue I have with the effect is that people who say an event was different don't seem to know or reveal the effect of the difference. Such as if Mandela died early, who became president and what are some of the other effects from that cause. The timeline should have more differences.

That tends to point to a single false memory.

The only other reason I could see is if we are in a simulation and that one event is corrupted/purposely changed and due to it's nature it has no other influence. EG: Just hearing of a death some unrelated person doesn't cause the person make other changes in the timeline.
edit on 3/23/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rich Z
I asked my wife if she remembers whether Mickey Mouse had suspenders or not. She said "of course he had suspenders!". I asked her to find me even one picture showing that. Which, of course, she couldn't. I remember the suspenders too.

As for the guy and the tanks issue, what I remember is that the tank STOPPED and did not run him over. THAT was what was so newsworthy about it. Matter of fact, some people were even claiming that it was staged because it was so unusual for that regime.

So here's the rub. If the Mendela Effect is real, who says that only two timelines (or universes) are available to be compared? There could be an infinite number of them, and there is bleedthrough from all of them.

If the Mendela Effect is NOT real, then how come there are so many people with the same exact faulty memory when one particular event is being discussed?

Which is the most likely hypothesis: (1) there really is such an effect that has taken place, or (2) there are a LOT of people on the planet that are just plain crazy.

Heck, I remember an experience that is just impossible to understand without thinking that moving at least your point of reference in the universe from here to somewhere else is at least possible. Short version is that I was headed towards an automobile accident that was impossible to avoid. OK, I don't like using the word "impossible", because it seems to final, but for all intents and purposes, the word does fit this situation. So with the parked car in front of me completely unavoidable, all I did was to grip the steering wheel, closed my eyes, and thought "mom is going to KILL me" (I was driving her car). But the anticipated impact never happened. So I opened my eyes, and I was just drifting down the road in the car PAST where that parked car was dead in front of me instants ago like nothing had happened. I was in complete shock and had to pull over to the side of the road. What happened is just plain impossible with how the world is supposed to work with a single universe/timeline. So what the heck DID happen? And NO I did not whip the steering wheel to avoid that crash. Had I done that, I would have either crashed into the building to the right, or crashed into oncoming traffic to the left. I KNEW my goose was cooked and not a darn thing I could do about it, but *something* happened to get me out of it.

And if something like that can happen to me, why couldn't it happen to others too? If it happened once, how do I know it hasn't happened other times as well?

I doubt anyone can make a convincing case that we know all there is to know about "reality" to say that the Mendela Effect is just flat out impossible. Yeah, I know people would like to see proof other than what someone's memory states has happened, but how could there possibly be any proof? By the nature of what people believe about this Mendela Effect, proof is pretty much impossible to produce. All of the "proof" is in another timeline/universe, that you no longer have any access to.

But honestly, this isn't anything to drive yourself crazy over. After all, what can you do about it if it is true? And if it isn't true? Well, not much you can do about that either, now is it?

-i erased the parts with no relevance to my post-
i also remember Mickey Moue wearing suspenders, but now i can't find any such picture..

Im too young to know of the Tianmen student incident from a direct source, or from the news.. i do know i saw pictures maybe some footage .. i can't remember if he was killed or not. only that he stopped the tank.

i like your theories concerning the Mandela Effect. they make sense in my book. i think element from different time lines do leak here at times. we might pass into those timelines at times.

when i go grocery shopping, i always pass by this bush behind my building. the bush is about 2 meters tall [6 feet?] - it is taller than me and nobody maintains or grooms it. last year once i passed by it and it was nicely groomed in a rectangular shape. another day, perhaps the next day? i remember passing it by, and it was cut down [below my knees], almost completely removed. then, the bush turned back to its unattended and normal looking form. i wish i had my camera with me, but didnt
i would have had proof.. i simply never heard of a magical bush that grows from under 50 cm to about 2 meters overnight..

for me, Mandela died in the 80s, most likely in prison, of some illness..

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

How would we know what happened in "his" timeline, if there was one?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Or perhaps people have accepted they have faulty memories.

I do have a faulty memory. And i have accepted that long before Mandela effect was a "thing". But stuff has been altered in this reality or timeline. At least for me. Actually i'm not too enthusiastic to discuss it on ATS due to very possible ridicule and ad hominem argumentation.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

Or perhaps people have accepted they have faulty memories.

I do have a faulty memory. And i have accepted that long before Mandela effect was a "thing". But stuff has been altered in this reality or timeline.

Prove it.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Prove it.

I would, without hesitation, if i could. But i can't. ME is just something happening for me from time to time and for a bunch of others, and in this "reality" i am now there is zero proof things were different before.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Prove it.

I would, without hesitation, if i could. But i can't. ME is just something happening for me from time to time and for a bunch of others, and in this "reality" i am now there is zero proof things were different before.

And that's the problem.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

edit on 24-3-2017 by jacygirl because: Sorry, had change of heart. Good luck with your discussion!

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
"
And that's the problem."

I am very well aware of that. I am actually capable of understanding some simple-level ideas, concepts and even facts. Even while believing ME is true.
edit on 24-3-2017 by Finspiracy because: messed up the quote

Edits: Can't get this post and the quote the way i like it to be now. Going through alcohol withdrawals.
edit on 24-3-2017 by Finspiracy because: I'm dumb

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasteel

How would we know what happened in "his" timeline, if there was one?

Because there is no such thing as Mandela effect.

Therefore, his timeline is the same as everyone's else's, and nothing has changed except faulty memories.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I am very well aware of that. I am actually capable of understanding some simple-level ideas, concepts and even facts. Even while believing ME is true.

Edits: Can't get this post and the quote the way i like it to be now. Going through alcohol withdrawals.

Not to be mean, but how in earth can you be serious?

Alcoholics have some of the worst memories around, i should know.
edit on 24-3-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=22053639]
Not to be mean, but how in earth can you be serious?

Alcoholics have some of the worst memories around, i should know.

No offence taken

I have had my sober seasons. And it still occurs to me, The Mandela effect, then. I wish that i wasn't serious and this is just me making a bad joke or something, but it is real to me.

Edit: i should go practice quoting to the freshman's forum.
edit on 24-3-2017 by Finspiracy because: messed up quote

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I wonder why were people searching for the term"mandela effect" or "when did mandela die" back in 2004.

www.youtube.com...

[i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the video here, so i'll just leave the link here]

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryscent

That's pretty interesting. I've gotta give him credit and say it's a good attempt at bad science.

Mandela is probably a South African name and assuming his family is not immortal other Mandela's have died.
The fact that the first time "When did Mandela die" was searched was before Nelson died and from South Africa, isn't proof that magic exists.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join