It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF lawmaker proposes bill to penalize companies that seek to build Trump border wall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
In my naivete, I had thought that legislative bodies are there to represent the interests of their constituents, and to discharge the duties that are incumbent on them at their particular level of governance. In other words, I thought that municipal officials are elected to attend to, and enact (within their sphere) bylaws that pertain to the operation of their municipality.

Apparently not...they are elected to make grand sweeping gestures about national issues, and to pass laws that punish businesses that bid on legal contracts offered by other levels of Government, if those other (higher) levels of Government do not toe their political line.

A San Francisco lawmaker proposed a bill Tuesday that would prohibit the city from doing business with construction companies that seek to work on President Trump’s border wall during the bidding process.

Supervisor Hillary Ronen said doing business with such companies would be out of line with the city’s values, according to KTVU.

“Stick to building bridges, not walls." Ronen said.

So the City of San Francisco is suggesting that any Company which bids on Federal Government contracts pertaining to the Wall should not be allowed to bid on City contracts. What's next, I wonder, they will go after anybody that bids on Trump's infrastructure projects? People or Companies that supply paperclips to Federal Departments?

"By introducing this legislation, we are moving beyond symbolic protest and making it clear to companies interested in doing business with San Francisco, that we expect those companies to uphold basic principles of compassion and dedication to human rights," she said.

Wow...so now municipal governments feel that they have the right to set legal standards for "compassion" and "dedication to human rights". A City intends to legislate based on their own (unwritten I expect) psuedo-Constitution and Bill of Rights. They intend to make it unlawful for those people and organizations engaged in free enterprise to bid on lawful contracts offered by higher levels of Government under circumstances that they dictate.

This is so far out of the realm of what a City is incorporated to do for its citizens...and so far out of sync with the limits of their legal authority...that I can barely comment on it in a serious way.

San Francisco Has Officially Lost the Plot

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
They way overstepping their bounds .

with all the over regulation in kalifornia theres no way would bid on a contract anywhere in that state .

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

WTF - maybe they should read their Core Mission Statement or Charter and see that they are municipality service their ratepayers NOT in the business of Political blackmail

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

WTF - maybe they should read their Core Mission Statement or Charter and see that they are municipality service their ratepayers NOT in the business of Political blackmail

Precisely.

It seems that every politician in America now believes that they rank at or above the office of the President of the United States, and that their official responsibilities extend far beyond the legal scope of the authorities vested in the office they currently occupy.,

Ultimately it is up to the citizenry to sit these people back down into the chairs they were elected to perch upon, or to eject them back out into the wider world...where they will be free to pontificate as they wish - but not on the public dime.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

They will make a law that will punish people if they didn't vote a certain way next.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Her past job was as an immigrant rights attorney according to Wikipedia.
This idiot needs to be recalled, trying to block companies from attaining legal business opportunities.
What is she going to say when this company T.Y. Lin has to lay off a bunch of their immigrant workers after she has tried to ruin their business?
Leftist stupidity runs rampant again.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-3-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Something tells me that this should be challenged by these business owners as being unconstitutional per the 14th Amendment and equal application of laws to all citizens.

Here in Cincinnati, they have a law that says that a business (and I'm paraphrasing from memory, this may not be exact) cannot bid on city jobs unless they have offered a union apprenticeship for five years prior to bidding--this knocks out the vast, vast majority of competent (and probably cheaper) businesses who could do the job just as well.

This type of legislation, really, has zero place even being proposed in America, let alone being passed and signed into law and existing for years upon years.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They will make a law that will punish people if they didn't vote a certain way next.

With only just more than 30% of Cali votes going to Trump, are you sure that said laws don't already exist?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

With only just more than 30% of Cali votes going to Trump, are you sure that said laws don't already exist?

It's only a matter of time. . . .

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
stupid grandstanding

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

laws aren't needed for that. Social pressure either makes you vote with your social group, or you keep quiet.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

yet in this case, a law is being proposed simply to punish anyone who does business pertinent to a belief.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Supervisor Hillary Ronen does not want anything standing between her and her drugs.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I guess Trump has to classify the Mexican "FreedomWall"..[freedom from the massive criminal gang suppression the Mexican people have suffered seemingly forever]... as a National Security issue.....and then treat guys like this SF fella who seems to have to much time on his hands...well...treat HIM with a heavy hand.

Free Mexico and you BUILD A STRONGER SAFER AMERICA......make Mexico stronger , safer, and more prosperous.....and you make AMERICA STRONGER SAFER AND MORE PROSPEROUS.
edit on 22-3-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

yet in this case, a law is being proposed simply to punish anyone who does business pertinent to a belief.

People misuse "fascist" all the time.

This, however, is a textbook example of it.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Stunning in the delusion. I can't comprehend how people have devolved in this way, really to the point of being beyond basic stupid. Build the wall the government authorizes is not in alignment with her values. Fair enough. But what IS in alignment:

Drone killing?
Unauthorized Data collection?
Appalling terms of service contracts?

These are horrendous atrocities that her constituents MAKE HAPPEN. Is this thinking silicon valley's creation of candy crush absolves her/them of the hardware and software used to kill people without due process?

My god, we have reached the point where people just talk, they have no filter, they surround themselves with drones who stare a phone screens and nod yes to anything gibberish that comes out of a mouth. Has she vetted this to see if it is legal, moral, or even possible, or is she just a do gooder moron with a place to say things that make zero sense in the real world.

new topics

top topics

join