It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't sadists considered to be evil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
In this thread, I'm assuming that evil exists. If you don't believe evil exists, this is not a thread for you.

I believe the following article puts sadists in the correct class of people where they belong along with psychopaths and narcissists. Why don't more people see it that way?

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

I haven't watched the film 50 Shades of Grey, but I read a lot of reviews of the film and the book that were written by ordinary people. I can't recall anyone calling out the male lead for being evil. Why is that?

In my opinion, sadists are just as evil as psychopaths. They're basically birds of a feather with similar behavior and motivation.

Why do sadists get a free ride in society for their abhorrent behavior?

I don't have much to add to this discussion because I'm completely perplexed.
edit on 22-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Hey, hope you are well.

I think the word that begins some explanation and a line of inquiry is: CONSENT.

If somebody inflicts harm on you for their pleasure then you either accept it or do something about it. The law mostly protects us, but if I get a kick out of somebody inflicting pain on me (psycho-sexual) I am consenting.

Wow, should we look too deeply at all this? Do we really want to know about this darkness? Yes, because once we know about something we can begin to handle it; grabbing the bull by the horns and playing Matador. Olé!

Think about all the harmful activity we do in our behavior. A lorry spews diesel exhaust at me and the animals as I am walking along; too much of that and it will kill me by slow toxic death. Often, the shareholders gladly take profit over the welfare of their customers in their dealings and will make up any excuse as to why it is morally okay for the prices of their service or product to go up for no other reason than to get better dividend performance.

Sadism is mainly a sexual term it seems. I guess it can be applied to troll behavior (whatever that is). If a person is relating to another to deliberately derive pleasure from another's pain then sure they are a sadist of a kind.

Personally, I don't like others to feel pain of any kind. I don't want them to be hurting.

There are masochists, too, to balance it out. We know that that kind of sexual activity in relationships happens a lot.

Fascinating, Captain!

edit on 22-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hi, s&m connoisseur here. I'm in a very loving, long term relationship in which we switch roles between giver and receiver of pain. We're not evil people. Loving couple, and loving parents.
edit on 22-3-2017 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Is talking about trolling a form of speech suppression? I don't think trolls are sadists as your article is suggesting. I think how people react to a post is entirely up to the person reading the post. People only take away from you exactly what you let them take. Stop being a victim and some thicker skin for change!

edit on 22-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My understanding of sadism is someone who enjoys inflicting pain on others. As someone who has gone through injuries and rehabilitation, not all pain is bad. Pain can help us grow stronger and more capable, a good coach does push some pain boundaries.

Sure most pain sucks and is best avoided. For people that do enjoy inflicting pain in others just because it is fun is sad. I consider sadism is more ignorant than evil, it demonstrates a lack of empathy and awareness in the experiences of others.

Some times laughter at the pain and misfortune of others is also a coping mechanism for the individual. As for just what is evil is more than a specific emotional state or attitude.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
Sadism is mainly a sexual term it seems.

Here's the definition of "sadist" in American English from the Cambridge Dictionary:

a person who gets pleasure from hurting another person

"sadist" in American English

The definition is a little different in British English:

a person who gets pleasure, sometimes sexual, by being cruel to or hurting another person

"sadist" in British English

Whichever definition you go by, I don't agree that "sadism is mainly a sexual term."

What difference does it make that what's depicted in the film 50 Shades of Grey is consensual? The male lead still was inflicted with a problem that was on par with psychopathy.

"There are masochists, too, to balance it out."

Are you insinuating that happened by design? If so, who or what designed it?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Nobody has insinuated that it is by design. However, you brought up the term evil and insisted it be used. To me, evil is a religious word referring to some supernatural force. I don't believe in that stuff so i don't use the word often. I would save that term for people who murder and are irredeemable. Just because someone enjoys a little rough consentual sex, doesn't put them in league with the night stalker or the ramirez brothers although they are certainly sadists.

And internet trolls certainly are not evil. I would not lower that bar to include trash talkers and people who frustrate you. You would have to call most normal people evil if that were the case. The meanest trolls on this site are all highly and wierdly religious.

If i may ask, what promoted this line of thinking?

edit on 22-3-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

It is human behavior. If somebody does something to us we can either accept it and hate it, accept it and enjoy it or resist it. That gives us all an element of potential control does it not?

I am empowered. If someone ever tries to have this kind of relationship in any kind of transactions I have with them I drop them very quickly indeed, even family! I have proven that time and time again in my life; I had to for the sake of my own wellbeing.

For most people sexuality is the first word that comes to mind when the word "sadism" is mentioned. You forget where the word comes from: It is the name of a man who had an aristocratic title; The Marqis De Sade:

en.wikipedia.org...

He equated eroticism with giving and receiving pain to a refined art form almost. He is the Patriarch of Sadism in the West. So am I so wrong for saying it is mainly a sexual term? Do not the other members posting on your thread confirm my interpretation?

More to the point; Can I join in, lol?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Madonna had some interesting ideas about all this. She started to notice bondage aspects of human behavior and that some of our greatest people like Jesus, Martin Luther King and many others were actually making huge and knowing sacrifices of their very welfare and safety to perform and to express a vision.

In a strange way this goes all the way back to Shamanism. Did you know the people would be very cruel to initiate their Shamans? The Shamans would of course go through it willingly. To be a Shaman one had to be deliberately deprived and practically tortured to gain one's community and tribal status as Visionary and Culture Bearer for the tribe (consider even our modern artists and culture heroes and the "suffering artist" archetype). That certainly sifted the wheat from the chaff so quality could be almost guaranteed. Character and staying power were ruthlessly demonstrated in a very real and obvious way. That looks like a natural evolutionary mechanism at work to me.

It is obviously more complex than that. I am just trying to precis the information for your benefit. I hope I have given you and idea.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Nobody has insinuated that it is by design. However, you brought up the term evil and insisted it be used. To me, evil is a religious word referring to some supernatural force. I don't believe in that stuff so i don't use the word often. I would save that term for people who murder and are irredeemable. Just because someone enjoys a little rough consentual sex, doesn't put them in league with the night stalker or the ramirez brothers although they are certainly sadists.

And internet trolls certainly are not evil. I would not lower that bar to include trash talkers and people who frustrate you. You would have to call most normal people evil if that were the case. The meanest trolls on this site are all highly and wierdly religious.

If i may ask, what promoted this line of thinking?

"Nobody has insinuated that it is by design."

To me, the phrase "balance it out" usually implies it happened by design. I realize that phrase doesn't always imply that, and that's why I asked you what you meant.

"If i may ask, what promoted this line of thinking?"

Here's an example that people seem to never think about...

Let's say you have a high school teacher who teaches six classes of thirty students each semester. That teacher will have multiple chances to make sadistic comments and do to other things to hurt his students every day. The damage he can do over an entire semester is immeasurable.

I went to a pretty good high school, so I don't think that particular thing happened to me. As a university student, I sure wondered if a few of my teachers were sadists. There was one math teacher in particular...I should have walked out of class on the first day when there about ten students in the entire classroom (I was just a sophomore basically completely on my own. I had to learn by the school of hard knocks). I learned my lesson. I spent exactly one lesson enrolled in the class of an accounting teacher who I thought I recognized as being a sadist...

Accounting and sadism don't mix, that's for sure.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Yes. Sadists exist. That is why we have a word to describe them when we see them. Do you think those professors were evil like the Ramirez brothers?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Yes. Sadists exist. That is why we have a word to describe them when we see them. Do you think those professors were evil like the Ramirez brothers?

Was that math teacher I mentioned a sadist? I'm not sure, and therefore I can't definitely say he was evil. Everything about his class was slightly sadistic in my opinion.

With that accounting teacher, I saw him openly berating students in a sadistic way during the first lesson. He was infamous at my university for being one of the toughest teachers. I ended up in his class because his name wasn't printed in the university's course catalog (what a cruel joke to play on the unsuspecting). I knew I was dropping out of his class as soon as he introduced himself. He exuded an evil energy in my opinion.

I believe in varying degrees of evil. I would say sadists like that accounting teacher I just mentioned are just over the line (based on what I know). Serial killers are way over the line. I believe being over the line is still being evil.

With that said, I hope I'm not over the line.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Jesus and MLK didn't want to suffer - they simply understood that it was necessary. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Yes - if someone derives pleasure from causing pain, that is evil.

I can't believe people are trying to actually twist a way out of a very simple, obvious fact.

Now, I'm not sure that all trolling is an attempt to cause pain. But some of it is. Some trolling is a way of some ignorants to express their own pain, not realizing that they are affecting other people instead of merely communicating. Those who have a sarcastic personality typically come from an environment wherein being literal is not at all a form of communication. Statements are onions with literal interpretations at their cores.

It's very silly to try to justify the pleasure for causing pain. Very childish, actually. Too bad many people in relationships love to say things to hurt the one they claim to love on purpose because, "You're going to feel the way I feel." Ugly.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Jesus and MLK didn't want to suffer - they simply understood that it was necessary. Seriously.

Jesus actually went looking to get crucified. He deliberately stirred up the hornets' nest. So did MLK. MLK knew what was going to happen to him. I read his autobiography and he said he was given a vision over the kitchen table one night.

I did not say they wanted to suffer, did I?

Did the Shamans want to suffer?

Have you anything useful to say to me regarding all the effort I have put into contributing to this thread or are you just going to vainly attempt to gnit pick away out of some insecurity you are feeling about my intellect compared to yours? Quite ridiculous and pointless and we will not get anywhere acting like that.

Bo-or-ring!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

No, He didn't.

Before He was taken, He prayed to the Father, "Father, if it Is your will, please let this cup pass from me." He was crying and tortured at the thought.

I don't know if MLK felt that same way, but I bet his heart wasn't far from this.

Your contribution is wrong. Sorry you wasted your time. It's more boring to read what is false.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I can't believe people are trying to actually twist a way out of a very simple, obvious fact.

I'm not surprised at all. BDSM is very widespread. People don't want to think of themselves or their family and friends as being evil, so they twist the meaning of evil to exclude themselves.

It's all par for the course at the giant nuthouse called Earth.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I'm not surprised at all. BDSM is very widespread. People don't want to think of themselves or their family and friends as being evil, so they twist the meaning of evil to exclude themselves.

It's all par for the course at the giant nuthouse called Earth.

I don't want to think of my family as evil, either. But some of them are. What boggles my mind is that they think they're being right.

Only my two Air Force brothers and I are the only people in my family who despise causing pain... Probably because the entire rest of the family enjoyed causing pain so much. The nutters made us brothers nutty, though. Anytime we see anyone cause another human being pain, we go absolutely and almost irrationally bonkers.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I think you are bundling everything you don't like and calling it evil. Which is what most religious people do. How many people could judge you by these same standards and call you evil? Have you scolded anyone in your life? Have you argued with anyone? Have you ever written a mean post or called someone a name? By your own standards you are included in this evil demographic.

Which is why i reserve that word for truly heinous people. Not just people donig normal mean stuff.
edit on 22-3-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I think you are bundling everything you don't like and calling it evil. Which is what most religious people do. How many people could judge you by these same standards and call you evil? Have you scolded anyone in your life? Have you argued with anyone? Have you ever written a mean post or called someone a name? By your own standards you are included in this evil demographic.

Which is why i reserve that word for truly heinous people. Not just people donig normal mean stuff.

You're comparing one's emotional responses to the actions of people who enjoy causing pain.

Not even close.

Enjoying the cause of pain is not normal mean stuff. It's actually wrong. :facepalm:

ETA - if you yourself are claiming that one is probably religious for having such an opinion, then you surely could see that being religious in the particular case reveals a more evolved mentality.

But one doesn't have to be religious to know that causing pain on purpose for one's own pleasure is clearly not even a primitive trait, but an absolutely insane trait.
edit on 3/22/2017 by TarzanBeta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join