It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a god require worship?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

No god does not require worship. Demanding that people worship you is a character flaw. God being perfect has no character flaws. A couple of years back when I made a statement about this my answer was a little more in depth and I don't remember what thread I added it to, but right now I just can't remember my total explanation about it, I'll need some time to remember exactly how I worded it, but I'm sure it will come to me, at which point in time I'll return to this thread and rewrite it. Somewhere in the Bible it even talks about this, where Jesus does not approve of anyone bowing down to him something about that we should all stand together, I don't exactly remember how that story goes, it has been such a long time since I have discussed this topic.
edit on Wed20173V201747731 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed20173V201755731 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed20173V201758731 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed20173V201759731 by DonVoigt because: Misspelling

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I'm not an expert on greek mythology, but the entire pantheon of greek gods seems to have been "replaced" by the roman gods - all of which faded out with the "Christian Era".

Your question about the rise to power is an interesting one. One rarely hears of the "rise to power" of the gods.
IMO, the "power" of the gods is granted by those who are the faithful, true believers - OR is institutionalized in the political power structure of the area.

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
As I recall, its fear of and obedience to.. that is demanded.

Worship is another things you all seem hung up on.. cause you know modern understanding of words is the only authority. There are those of us that wonder a little deeper and harder. In the Hebrew the word WORPHIP means :

Here.. its frustrating to have a convo with folks who wont do the min of research about a subject before giving their expert opinions.. sheesh...

In both Hebrew and Greek, there are two categories of words for worship. The first is about body language that demonstrates respect and submission; to bow down, to kneel, to prostrate oneself. The second is about doing something for God that demonstrates sacrifice and obedience; to offer, to serve.

read this

Yes. In this sense it has to be required. The universe can't function in anarchy mode. This planet is an exemplary case.

People use to think about it like about love they can't be forced to. The same people wouldn't think of being disobedient to law or police, or question their love for one's parents like this but they somehow fail using the same logic in terms of their true creator. Even if they decided not to believe in Creator, they should be able to adopt this logic in theory, in case.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Short answer: yes and no.

Long answer: "a god" does indeed require worship. Ra, Zues, Odin- all of them are born in the human mind and all require devotionof mind space in order to continue existing. What happens to Odin when no one believes nor we 'mythology'? Poof... No power, just a memory.that's gone too once no one remembers what nor we mythology is.

The God, however, requires no worship, as such an entity would have necessarily had to exist before any being was around to pay worship.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

What if that's what this existence is, if that's what life as we know it is? Gods attempt to understand iitself.
edit on 25-3-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Wisdom.

If people only paid attention to how they worked, they wouldn't persist in psychotic delusions of grandiosity.

It is an old wisdom - as old as the Human species.

Recognizing that an ontological "other" is a part of what we are - from Birth, with a mother whom we innately called out for in support. What is the adult belief in a God but that instinct, superimposed upon the farther reach of our neocortex.

We are not alligators, although there are people who post here who think they are exactly that.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I've pondered this also.
Also I would ask does a GOD require morality?
If morality comes form the herd then why would GOD have morality?
Something bothers me about all of this and it's somewhere in Nietzsche's Will To Power.
Limbo

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Only a vain, self-centered, insecure god.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join