It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear driven desperation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I just had a wisdom tooth extracted today. With the help of some laughing gas, I enjoyed every moment of it. Now I'm sitting in my living room enjoying the company of my Rx strength pain medication (vitamin P) and Pink Floyd. This is an opportune moment to step back and learn from the chaos of our childish stupidity.

Why does society in general seem to suck nowadays???

I think its because we try desperately to control everything. We are so scared of everything: Terrorists, lunies, disease, suffering, failure, success, lonliness, fellowship....we collectively fear all aspects of life, so we seek control at our own expense.

I'm guilty of this too. After all, I just had a tooth yanked out of my skull. I don't want to be in tremendous pain all night, so I took my prescribed medication.

But what if we just gradually stopped caring so much??? You know, just baby steps. Stop worrying about the unknown. Stop seeking comfort in all areas of life. Treat comfort as a luxury rather than a necessity.

Maybe one day we can get ourselves to the point where we don't vote for the politicians who offer the universally appeasing promises. Skip a meal or 4 every once in a while. Learn to appreciate the hunger pains. Take an ice cold shower tomorrow morning. Punch yourself in the face a few times when you're frustrated, just to remember that it really means nothing. Gather all your useless junk, the stuff that collects dust, and throw it in a bon-fire. Will the world stop turning? Stop beating around the bush. Speak your mind, especially if it pisses other people off.

If we can get to the point that we need nothing, then the charlatans of the world will have no more snake oil to sell to us. The commercials will fall of deaf ears. The empty hearted preachers will be facing empty pews.

What if people just left everything in the hands of their gods. Put your deities to the test rather than bible thumping, crusading, jihading, etc,etc,etc...

Basically let the chips fall where they may every now and then. Use reason and moderation. Its not like anyone is obligated to prove anything.

Once we can conquer our motivating fears, we will be that much less susceptible to manipulation.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I just had a wisdom tooth extracted today

Doesn't that diminish your capacity to post in the Philosophy & Metaphysics forum ?

Why does society in general seem to suck nowadays???

Personally I don't think it does. In fact I think it's better now than any time in my life. But then maybe that's because I do things after work that don't involve the interweb, tv, video games and the like.

Now that I think of it, I've actually got one of those life thingies.

Further review of your OP clearly identifies one of the issues you may be experiencing that's making you think that everything sucks.

Speak your mind, especially if it pisses other people off.

You shouldn't let stupid people upset you, it's pointless.

edit on 21 3 2017 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

But what if we just gradually stopped caring so much??? You know, just baby steps. Stop worrying about the unknown. Stop seeking comfort in all areas of life. Treat comfort as a luxury rather than a necessity.

Maybe one day we can get ourselves to the point where we don't vote for the politicians who offer the universally appeasing promises. Skip a meal or 4 every once in a while. Learn to appreciate the hunger pains. Take an ice cold shower tomorrow morning. Punch yourself in the face a few times when you're frustrated, just to remember that it really means nothing. Gather all your useless junk, the stuff that collects dust, and throw it in a bon-fire. Will the world stop turning? Stop beating around the bush. Speak your mind, especially if it pisses other people off.

If we can get to the point that we need nothing, then the charlatans of the world will have no more snake oil to sell to us. The commercials will fall of deaf ears. The empty hearted preachers will be facing empty pews.

Once we can conquer our motivating fears, we will be that much less susceptible to manipulation.

Don't need nothin? That's a good start.

Like you suggest: if we don't resist them, but just ignore them.
Disconnect from the false carrots of "The American Dream".

You are on to something...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I don't know, I think my tooth experience offers some perspective.

I guess whether or not society sucks is a matter of perspective as well. I just hate to see so many people plugged in and hypnotized all the time.

Keep living.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

just imagine, the cause of all this... and the cure lands on the church

Those that pray on fear rule us.... manipulate us into believing lies

Media... politics... religion

the trinity of evil

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I just hate to see so many people plugged in and hypnotized all the time. Keep living.

Exactly.

If I had one wish in this world, it would be for people to take the time, lets say two weeks, and unplug from all electronica, MSM and pretty much all social media. At the end of that two week period I'd imagine that an awful lot of people would realise where the negativity in their lives is being generated and that, in fact, they can do something about it.

ETA

If I had one wish in this world

What I actually meant was,

If I had one wish in this world, after the I wish I could win the lottery wish.

edit on 21 3 2017 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yep, and a lot of churches teach that believers have to change the world to suite their mass delusions rather than simply unplugging and aligning themselves with divine power.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

And then... (Gasp) maybe people would actually work together to provide for themselves the things that actually do matter... And y'know, I'm willing to bet that would ease the tensions between people, regular people a helluva lot as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
For me, every now and then, the dilemma presents itself of what do I even live for. If the answer is pleasure, then maybe it is better for me to remain plugged in and hypnotized in a system which controls my labor and regulates my thought to uphold it. If the answer is knowledge, then I must forgo the illusion of happiness and completeness in order to understand the material reality around me and how it operates.

I have no idea which I should live for or whether I should live at all.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cypselus

Matt 4:4
"It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Whether you are a believer in Christ or not, there is still a valuable lesson to be learned from that verse. To live on the word of God is to live on knowledge. To live on bread is to live on pleasure.

Why choose pleasure over knowledge, or even knowledge over pleasure? Who not instead, be evenly yoked with the two? Feed the mind with knowledge, AND satisfy the body with pleasure. But to be deficient in either one would inevitably be unsustainable and burdensome.

Too much knowledge can burden the mind and breed resentment. Too much pleasure can harden the heart as tolerance builds over time (like a drug addiction).

Find the balance, and you will be much closer to happiness.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Thank you, that is very intuitive and it is a very good response to my rather reductionist view of reality where one had to choose one or the other to be content. I agree that a combination of both can lead to personal happiness, and I think that both are necessary to remain fulfilled.

I am curious to your earlier point and how one can overcome the mental barriers which prohibit the escaping of zones of comfort and escape the safety of the normal. I have tried to escape many times, but the discomfort always weighs heavily upon my mind, and I can never bring myself to fully not care enough to try new things in either social situations or personal situations (such as taking a cold shower). What methods would you recommend to carry out this end?
edit on 22-3-2017 by Cypselus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

If you can't bring yourself to step outside those boundaries... Watch your habits. Notice how you have become rigid. See where you are stuck...
Wherever you can... Forsake convenience and desire... Follow your passions. do what you love, not what is convenient or easy...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Damn, Im getting ready to schedule some skull surgery ( no joke.. long story)... I may wind up a philosopher too!! I bet I get more than laughing gas... Im hoping for some versed. A LOT of versed.. for a start. Then pentothal prob.. crappy. Id prefer Ketalar, but if they use that... Ill be way way too metaphysical for the ATS crowd when I return. I mean on Ket when they tell you to count back from 100.. I get to potato and Im out like a light.

SOciety doesnt suck.. individuals do. WHen they gather together, we call that mass psychosis AKA domestic terrorism.. and use water cannons and FMJs that sometimes goes through a few bodies before stopping ( and the m16s 223 sometimes hangs a hard left after going through a body, so dems better watch out.. ) ... and we have soooo much extra ammo hoarded.. erm.. I mean stockpiled by govt agencies.. likr the IRS. Maybe its not society that sucks.. but GOVERNMENTS suck that are so corrupt they play with their population, social engineering gone mad, pitting them against eachother and generally driving them nuts.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

EDIT: It is VITALLY important to have a healthy diet. Cut out refined sugars. Limit your intake of grains (bread, pastas, rice). Eat tons of fresh vegetables and fruit. If you do this consistently, I guarantee that you will feel energized and empowered within a week's time. A poor diet kills inspiration almost 100% of the time. A 24 hour fast (consuming only water) is a great way to reset yourself.

I think reductionism can be a very healthy way of looking at things, just don't assume that you ever have all the pieces. Instead, develop separate models to compare and contrast. I believe everything in life can be reduced to a simple set of principles that have universal application. I have not determined what all of those principle are, but I know that volition, humility, objectivity, impersonal love, and forgiveness are among the most important (just going off the top of my head).

Mental barriers are challenging. I struggle with the same exact issues that you raised. In fact, I'm pretty sure we all do on varying levels. I believe it is an issue of programming/hypnosis. Everything we do as humans is done by choice. These choices can be made consciously or unconsciously, but they are expressions of the volition of our soul nonetheless.

So how do you leave your comfort zone? Its as simple as CHOOSING to leave your comfort zone consistently with a series of decisions. It is easier if you look at these decisions as a sort of CHALLENGE or EXPERIMENT. I find that experiments really interest me, so when I try these things doesn't feel like a chore, but its almost fun or intriguing.

Try telling yourself every morning when you wake up, "Today I am going to build my tolerance for discomfort". Then take an ice cold shower. Don't think about doing it, just do it. The shower will be very uncomfortable, but it will definitely wake you up, and more importantly, it will prepare you to build more tolerance for discomfort. While your body is telling your to stop, just tell yourself (out loud if it helps), "The discomfort is merely an illusion". Do this every day for at least 21 days. I say 21 days, because that's generally how long it takes for your mind to establish new habits. The goal is not to fulfill a challenge, but to set a tangible benchmark for consistency.

I also find that fasting helps too. Go 24 hours without eating. Its easier than you think. You don't have think about what you have to (or want to) eat for each meal, you simply know that your goal is to have nothing but water that day. There is no spiritual magic behind fasting, it simply builds discipline. I find that when I have become locked in a "pleasure rut", fasting is a great way to start from a clean slate. You shouldn't have to do it to frequently, I simply use it as a sort of reset button from time to time.

Talk to people about subjects that make you uncomfortable. I would say that its best to start in online forums, so that when you loose your objectivity/patience, you really haven't caused harm to any personal relationships. The goal here would be to discuss ideas that you may have a cognitive dissonance towards, in an objective fashion. Its not easy to do. You will likely fail many times, but with each attempt, you build capacity for objectivity.

Look people dead in the eyes when you talk to them...especially in uncomfortable conversations. You will find that many people will subconsciously do anything to avoid eye contact. That alone should help with social situations.

In conversation, try to maintain a low to neutral vocal tone. This can have a calming and reassuring effect on the people you speak with, and it puts you in a position where your are leading the conversation rather than following along.

Remember, that you are only responsible for today. You can plan all you want for tomorrow, but there is no guarantee that you will be here to see it. Don't let that freak you out. Instead, let it take the burden of anticipation off of your shoulders. Just live one day at a time. When you fail, you can always try again, Lord permitting.

edit on 22-3-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: added important note

edit on 22-3-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Disruption tactics to break mental(and societal) stagnation...

Awesome. A lot of this I had thought already, here and there but never connected. Thanks BelieveR!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Yes! Stagnation is the universal enemy. I have found that these disruption tactics have had a life changing effect on me. I have also found that understanding how hypnosis works (even in our daily lives) can help me to avoid episodes of stagnation. Life throws challenges at us on a daily basis. Prosperity is far more dangerous than adversity. A simple bonus on the paycheck can unexpectedly trigger a comfort-stagnation response. That is when I remind myself, "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away".

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Hey. Good luck with your surgery. One way or another, it sounds like its gonna be a trip. Let us know how it goes, and how the experience impacts your outlook.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Literally, even, in the form of entropy!

I am going to consciously begin to disrupt my stagnation. Fight the battle, to avoid it, rather than fighting the battle, when the enemy is already there. How does hypnosis help?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Well, hypnosis is every bit related to the formation of habits and comfort zones. It is especially true when we form attitudes, philosophies, and world views. Every state of consciousness is basically a state of trance, from the subconscious mind to the fight or flight reaction. Hypnosis is simply a way to alter/adjust that degree of trance so that suggestions may enter the mind when the heart is at its most accepting state. A good hypnotic loop can induce a change sufficient enough to allow for the inception of ideas into the subconscious mind. No two people have exactly the same hypnotic "weaknesses" (for lack of a better term), but every human soul is designed to respond to hypnosis, and even reciprocate in a similar fashion.
come
A good hypnotic loop will appeal to the following elements of the soul:

1) The belief elected by the heart.

2) The imagination which is a hypothetical belief system (but not necessarily the primary system) established by interface between mind and heart.

3) The physiology of the flesh.

4) The experiential manifestations of the mind and heart upon the flesh.

Theses are the basic elements of a hypnotic loop, but more can be added to it. Here is an example of how it works.

You see a fast food commercial on TV. It shows you a big juicy burger. It is dripping with bbq sauce and melted cheese. The commercial asks the question, "Are you hungry?". To which your subconscious mind may reply, "YESSS!!!". Then the commercial continues in saying, "Well then come on down to our burger joint and satisfy your appetite with a big juicy burger. For only $3, you can be satisfied with the delicious, big juicy burger.

If done correctly, the commercial would have effectively established a strong but simple hypnotic loop for an unsuspecting subject to walk into.

1) Belief: Most people believe that some form of food is required for nourishment and sustenance. This universal belief works in favor of the commercial.

2) Imagination: You are shown images of a big juicy burger, dripping with bbq sauce and melted cheese. This image appeals to the imagination, to stimulate the appetite. The belief is that food is needed. The imagination part is convincing the individual that a burger is more appealing than some steamed vegetables.

3) Physiology: By this point, your mouth is probably watering, and your stomach growling for food. You probably want to eat, even if you really weren't all that hungry to begin with.

4) Experience: The commercial says, "come and be satisfied", so you go, you eat, and you accept in your heart that the resultant experience is indeed, SATISFACTION.

Notice that I highlighted all the key words and queues. That is how hypnosis works. We do it to ourselves, and we do it to others in day-to-day conversations. We even do it with body language.

If you have comfort zones associated with certain ideas, it is likely a result of hypnosis. So with that knowledge, you can learn not to fall in the same traps over and over again.

Here is a great video on the subject:

This clip shows a hypnotic loop in action (without the induction into a "trance"):

edit on 22-3-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: added video

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
What if people just left everything in the hands of their gods. Put your deities to the test rather than bible thumping, crusading, jihading

Hit them with the truth that is written from their own book, war policies and beliefs respectively and it shuts them up in a heart beat.

Then listen for the proverbial pin to drop onto the grass as they cannot comprehend the facts and everything goes silent.

They love the power of being little Brown Shirt Nazi's using emotional blackmail on others.

new topics

top topics

join