It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how is the NSA not a Law Enforcement organization?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Reminds me of perception. When I was a security guard, I was off for the summer from college. I was working 4 12 hour shifts.

Though, I would never step into a bar alone, normally, one night after work, I wanted a beer at the local place I always went to on the weekends. I came in and sat at the bar. Not a full uniform. We didn't have hats. It was August, so there was a month period where they allowed knee length shorts. I was wearing the uniform shirt and metal badge, though. My hair was pulled back tight in a pony tail, when normally it would have been fully blown out and wavy.

I sat down at the bar, was looking down at a, I think notepad, I doubt I had a cell phone in that year. The female bartender comes up and puts a shot in front of me. I look up and say, 'Hey, Chrystal, what is that?' She says, "Oh my, I didn't know who you were." I guess police had been shaking them down over underage people.

We had a laugh. I did get a free shot.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

They operate domestically in that they're HERE for the most part, and if there's a communication with at least one dirty foot then they can listen in on that, given other restrictions. Or internet traffic. Take ATS. If there's a thread where only demonstrably US citizens are posting, they can't listen in. Technically. However, the first time someone from Australia posts on the thread (or anywhere else), it's fair game because it just grew a dirty foot.

Well technically, the NSA could listen in to any thread on ATS whether the majority of the content comes from American users or not, simply due to the fact that ATS is a public forum that doesn't require a warrant to observe.

But I get the gist of what you are saying.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

FPS actually are credentialed and have federal arrest powers. I just feel like Paul Blart off my domain, though.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: reldra

FPS actually are credentialed and have federal arrest powers. I just feel like Paul Blart off my domain, though.

Oh, lol, mall cop. I see what the thing is and how you feel, though.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It doesn't enforce; it listens. THAT'S its job. Others do the enforcing.

Unmitigated "listening", fine, but to enforce what exactly? Im sure of legitimate reasons. Im curious about non legitimate reasons. Just curious, however, i dont feel the need to be acutely aware, per se.

The act of observation itself can affect outcomes, something i think some struggle to realize, others who understand, that may abuse the awareness.

edit on 21-3-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

Personaly, I believe it to be a part of the military and is violating the Posse comitatus act by operating to inform the FBI of domestic criminal activity in the US.

Formed November 4, 1952; 64 years ago[1]
Preceding agency

Armed Forces Security Agency

Headquarters Fort Meade, Maryland, U.S.
39°6′32″N 76°46′17″WCoordinates: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W
Motto "Defending Our Nation. Securing The Future."
Employees Classified (30,000–40,000 estimate)[2][3][4][5]
Annual budget Classified (estimated $10.8 billion, 2013)[6][7]
Agency executives

Admiral Michael S. Rogers, U.S. Navy, Director of the National Security Agency
Richard Ledgett, Deputy Director of the National Security Agency

Parent agency United States Department of DefenseParent agency United States Department of Defense
edit on 2017-03-21T23:19:39-05:0011pmTue, 21 Mar 2017 23:19:39 -0500TuesdayAmerica/Chicago3931 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

So how is the NSA not a Law Enforcement organization?

The NSA is law enforcement. it comes about by vitrue of the extent of corruption in the US.

The NSA has become law enforcement because as with all these big security organisations they are all melding into one organisation. The extent of melding into one national security appratus is a measure of that corruption because the laws and charters etc that are supposed to restrict their operations are being thrown on to the floor and craped on.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

It's not a military branch though

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

You have your opinion, I have mine.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Mine is somewhat informed. Does the NSA, supposedly its own military service, have a uniform? Ranks? Insignia? Boot camp? OSUT?

It's lacking pretty much everything that would indicate it is military. And that's because it isn't. Neither is the FBI. Or the Agency.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Your opinion of what they are is irrelevant.

They are, in fact, a defence intelligence asset, part of the military intelligence infrastructure.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

It has a navy admiral as it's ceo. Is continually led by military leadership. The parent co is defense department. yada,yada. senseless argument.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I would love to comment on thread, but will recuse myself because of personal knowledge from working in the government.

People have no idea just how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It has a navy admiral as it's ceo. Is continually led by military leadership. The parent co is defense department. yada,yada. senseless argument.

None of which makes it a military branch. You're right, senseless argument, because so many Farkers have no clue about the military. Or intelligence branches. Hint - the DIA isn't a branch of the military either.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Your arguments are BS.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Former Directors, NSA
Directors of Armed Forces Security Agency (NSA's predecessor)

Beginning Date Name
15 July 1949 RADM Earl E. Stone, USN
15 July 1951 MG Ralph J. Canine, USA

Directors of The National Security Agency

Beginning Date Name
November 1952 MG Ralph J. Canine, USA
November 1956 Lt Gen John A. Samford, USAF
November 1960 VADM Laurence H. Frost, USN
January 1962 Lt Gen Gordon A. Blake, USAF
June 1965 LTG Marshall S. Carter, USA
August 1969 VADM Noel Gayler, USN
August 1972 Lt Gen Samuel C. Phillips, USAF
August 1973 Lt Gen Lew Allen, Jr., USAF
July 1977 VADM Bobby Ray Inman, USN
April 1981 Lt Gen Lincoln D. Faurer, USAF
May 1985 LTG William E. Odom, USA
August 1988 VADM William O. Studeman, USN
May 1992 VADM J. Michael McConnell, USN
February 1996 Lt Gen Kenneth A. Minihan, USAF
March 1999 Lt Gen Michael V. Hayden, USAF
August 2005 Gen Keith B. Alexander, U.S. Army

Go ahead and tell me it's not military.
edit on 2017-03-23T21:36:42-05:0009pmThu, 23 Mar 2017 21:36:42 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago4231 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Every military base in this nation has civilian employees. You deflect reality.
edit on 2017-03-23T21:57:22-05:0009pmThu, 23 Mar 2017 21:57:22 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago2231 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Your arguments are BS.

No, sorry. There are things which make an organization a branch of the military. And intel agencies are not.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Some agencies are required to have active military officers as their director. But they're still not branches of the military. Examine your own list. Note how the directors come from multiple branches of the service. Also they're not titled "General of the NSA", which they would be as the top dog of a military branch. And the top guy has four stars. These do not.

Because NSA is not a military branch.

You will discover, should you check, that you may have an active duty officer as head honcho of a national lab, but that doesn't make them branches of the military either.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
www.inscom.army.mil...

INSCOM executes mission command of operational intelligence and security forces; conducts and synchronizes worldwide multi-discipline and all-source intelligence and security operations; delivers linguist support and intelligence-related advanced skills training, acquisition support, logistics, communications, and other specialized capabilities in support of Army, Joint, and Coalition Commands and the U.S. Intelligence Community.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
www.inscom.army.mil...

INSCOM executes mission command of operational intelligence and security forces; conducts and synchronizes worldwide multi-discipline and all-source intelligence and security operations; delivers linguist support and intelligence-related advanced skills training, acquisition support, logistics, communications, and other specialized capabilities in support of Army, Joint, and Coalition Commands and the U.S. Intelligence Community.

If we're listing organizations that don't fit strict definitions and aren't commonly known, I choose the Mission Support Activity.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join