It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mock Slave Auction Stokes Tempers At Maplewood Elementary School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
A mock slave auction in a 5th grade class where a black kid was for sale by a white kid, but as no intent to be provocative or demeaning according to the superintendent. Wonder how that could be?

Well 5th graders put on a mock slave sale where a black kid was for sale by a white kid. How nice.

newyork.cbslocal.com...
MAPLEWOOD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — When it comes time for fifth graders to learn about the history of colonization and slavery, it’s always a sensitive subject.

As CBS2’s Jessica Layton reported, parents like Tracey Jarmon-Woods said it became even more painful after what took place in a 5th grade classroom at her son’s school in Maplewood.

“There was a sale of a black child by white children in the classroom,” Tracey Jarmon-Woods said, “If you’re demoralized — sold on a block in 2017 — it may affect you the rest of your life.”

Damage control is the name of the game now. Looks like a super genius substitute teacher thought this was a bright idea. Some of the parents could not believe this was actually going on. Of course the school points out this is not part of the curriculum, and it is not condoned.

“We’re always in damage control, and it’s getting absurd honestly,” student BOE member Filip Saulean said.

In a letter sent to parents, the principal said the impromptu reenactment of a slave auction by students was done while the teacher was out for a medical procedure and a substitute was in charge of the class.

“The activity was not part of the curriculum, not part of the teacher’s assignment, not condoned by the classroom teacher, and not authorized by the district,” the statement said.

Superintendent said there was no intent to be provocative of to be demeaning. How is that possible, time to fire this a-whole.

It’s not the first time the district has come under fire for its curriculum on colonization. Around the same time as the mock slave sale, controversial posters at another district school — South Mountain Elementary — offended several parents.

“We have to do better for our children,” Elissa Malespina said.

On Monday night, Superintendent Dr. John Ramos addressed the incidents.

“There was no intent to be provocative or demeaning,” he said, “The context is important to know.”

A school social worker will speak with 5th graders at Jefferson Elementary on Tuesday.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

There was no intent to be provocative or demeaning...

That may be true...

But we are still left with the question what the flying f*uck are kids supposed to learn by partaking in a mock slave selling?

Sorry to sound outraged, I know that's frowned upon here, but I find this a little disgusting.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Its an important subject, but putting a kid in the position of being sold as a slave, especially considering how much of an open wound all this stuff is in the US just strikes me as damn stupid.

I can see it being less fraught being done in a British school, say involving the sale of native Brits at Roman slave markets, but then we have had upwards of 1400 years to get over that.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A more imaginative teacher would have put up white children to be auctioned off.
At least in that case he might have found people to defend him.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Sorry, I see very little value in this type of race baiting going on in any school.
edit on 21-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Agreed.I want to know who in the heck thought that this was a good idea!?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

That is just odd at a school.

I have been to many a Star Trek convention with slave auctions where the money went to charity. There were many different types of people who volunteered as the auctionees.

But with kids, and to teach about slavery, a bit strange. Poor decision.

edit on 21-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Who was the teacher trying to aggravate more? The black students or the white students?

Was the Teacher trying to show the white kids how it could feel to be black or how it felt?

Was the Teacher simply saying, you can't go round doing this type of thing?

I think these lessons should not be taught anymore and books on the subject should be burned as they only proceed to make black people angry and then they will harbour this forever... so it seems. It's best to just move on from those times, they were a long time ago and the slave traders dont exist anymore. Well not from those times anyway. Now there is a different type of trade going on.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Seems like the teacher is keeping the white privilege alive, white guilt alive, the scourge of slavery front and center and the whole white/black are soooo different paradigm alive. Idiotic

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I actually like the concept.

No, really, I like the aspect of getting to experience being a slave, and being a slaver. It's a hard concept for kids to wrap their minds around today as it is, seeing and doing a mock sale is about as hands-on learning as it gets. Sometimes the best way to learn about a period in history is to become it.

F# the teacup adults, they might have gained valuable educational, and psychological insight in the post-sale discussion if they had the opportunity to do this in school.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Your kidding right?

So rape, whipping, beatings, exploitation, kids ripped from your arms and sold, your right that would be an education.

I like the aspect of getting to experience being a slave, and being a slaver.

What they experienced was a stupid stunt and nothing like being a slave. THis was easy, that's why a liberal did it.
edit on 21-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Your kidding right?

So rape, whipping, beatings, exploitation, kids ripped from your arms and sold, your right that would be an education.

I like the aspect of getting to experience being a slave, and being a slaver.

I'm talking about strictly in a mock-up setting & you know it, you uptight doof. The aspect of a distinct lack of freedom is what they get a face-to-face with here.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Y'all do know the teacher had nothing to do with this, right? This was just some kids being kids.

We need to get over this everything-is-racist garbage. It's making people (like me) not care about real racism anymore because the term is attached to everything.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

They experienced nothing, do you think they did? They didn't loose any freedom, you are putting symbolism over substance and you know it.

What happened is similar to going paint ball fighting and thinking you actually went to a for real-zeez fighting war.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

What they experienced was a stupid stunt and nothing like being a slave. THis was easy, that's why a liberal did it.

Well there's an eternal feedback loop if ever there was one. Liberal does something perceived as racially offensive and the non-liberal is the one getting their panties in a wad. Is this Opposites Day?
edit on 3/21/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yes it is opposites day?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

They experienced nothing, do you think they did? They didn't loose any freedom, you are putting symbolism over substance and you know it.

What happened is similar to going paint ball fighting and thinking you actually went to a for real-zeez fighting war.

So....they should have done a stage production instead? Small scale can also teach, it doesn't need to be grand.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Looking at our standing of 17 among other nations in education perhaps we should concentrate on getting to a score where we are better than South Korea, but at least we are better than Mexico. When schools get education right, then they can work on "social justice".

US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots
www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This town, Maplewood NJ folks is almost idyllic…racially integrated, upper middle class suburban and a beautiful town with great people.

I wouldn’t worry about this minor incident.

I hope to God they don't start anything over this.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Then what is the problem?

If nothing happened and that is what it it is like, then at is silly at worst.

edit on 21-3-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join