It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble's Glittering Frisbee Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's like someone has taken a high speed photograph capturing the glitter being thrown from the frisbee , but in this case the glitter is hundreds upon hundreds of Stars.
NGC 1448 frisbee 50 million light-years from Earth.

Full picture Here , one Galaxy so many Suns.

Imagine a spiral galaxy as a circular frisbee spinning gently in space. When we see it face on, our observations reveal a spectacular amount of detail and structure — a great example from Hubble is the telescope’s view of Messier 51, otherwise known as the Whirlpool Galaxy. However, the NGC 1448 frisbee is very nearly edge-on with respect to Earth, giving it an appearance that is more oval than circular. The spiral arms, which curve out from NGC 1448’s dense core, can just about be seen.

Although spiral galaxies might appear static with their picturesque shapes frozen in space, this is very far from the truth. The stars in these dramatic spiral configurations are constantly moving as they orbit around the galaxy’s core, with those on the inside making the orbit faster than those sitting further out.

This makes the formation and continued existence of a spiral galaxy’s arms something of a cosmic puzzle, because the arms wrapped around the spinning core should become wound tighter and tighter as time goes on — but this is not what we see. This is known as the winding problem.
www.nasa.gov...

My new wallpaper.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Nice, make sure you click on the full sized Nasa Pic everyone. Its zoomable.

My God, its full of stars!

While tripping the light fantastic...

edit on 20-3-2017 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's insane!!! Does anyone know what those flat disc-like orange objects are? Are they other galaxies? Stars? Just curious as they have a "flattened" shape to them and don't look like the other stars

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

They look like other galaxies to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Frisbees = flat. Does this prove the Flat Universe theory?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just imagine...all of those small yellowish smudges in the image are other galaxies far, far beyond this "close one" at fifty-million light years away. Why should you think that we are alone in the universe?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The bright ones may be new Mandelbrot sets being born. The yellow ones may be the forming of an Ouroborus.

I can't help but believe they are connected somehow. It is just that my puny brain just can't make sense of it all. I guess that is why it fascinates me so.

Another group of mysteries that will not be solved in my lifetime. I have to admit that even if they were, I am not sure I would able to actually understand them.

Fractals, Banach-Tarski, Infinity, Time, the meaning of life. All I know is that I will probably leave this world whispering 42.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There is something so special about those sorts of pics. I can look at them for ages. Zooming in of what look like distant galaxies or small star clusters.

There was a thread the other day about magic.

That pic is, to me, the real magic.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Beautiful! I think that wil be my new wallpaper too. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oh how I wish I could live 300 years so that I can see space travel became a real everyday thing... campy Star Trek outfits and all.

*sigh*

Thanks for the new wallpaper image though !

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   

FamCore,

Without a doubt, if you were to examine this shot in enough detail, at a high enough resolution, you would find other galaxies hidden in the background. But so it is with most images in deep space. Its a big, busy universe out there!

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Amazing picture and oh yeah, look...there's another few hundred galaxies in the background...the word 'immense' doesn't cover it and we are but specks of insignificant dust. There is, in my humble opinion, much 'dust' out there in that picture.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Thanks Gortex, truly something wonderful to behold while I play thru Mass Effect Andromeda

new topics

top topics

join