It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The President Lied To The American People Again. When Will Enough Be Enough?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+81 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

It is assumed, ostensibly at least, that the American people have an expectation that the President of the United States will not tell bald face lies to our faces. And we Americans have a history of remembering when our presidents say things to us that are not true.

President Obama once promised that, "If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it." Whether he knew at the time that his statement was false — a lie — or through ignorance or wishful thinking gave the American people incorrect information, those words have been cited countless times as evidence of President Obama deceiving the American people.

Twenty years from now if I person says, "If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it," nearly anyone of a certain age will immediately attribute those words to Obama and recall the context. In a similar fashion, we recall the signature lies, mistatments and broken promises of our former leaders. If I say, "Read my lips, no new taxes," how many of you won't remember that it was Bush 41 who told that whopper? Who needs a citation to connect the following to the Presidents who said them?

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

"I am not a crook."

To answer my own question — almost nobody. Most everyone knows who said them, acknowledges that the statements were untrue and most importantly, holds these as examples that call into question the credibility of the men who uttered them. It's easy to say that President Trump has changed the expectation for honesty from an American President but that's not entirely accurate is it? The constant flow of overt bulls# isn't the only thing that has changed — the willingness of Trump's most steadfast supporters to justify, excuse, deflect and deny these obvious lies and the contortions they will go through to avoid addressing them are what in my lifetime at least, is truly unprecedented.

On March 4th of this year, the President of the United States of America, a man who is privy to all of our nation's secrets, who has at his disposal one of the greatest intelligence gathering apparatuses the world has ever known — a man who holds the office which gives him what President Theodore Roosevelt termed the bully pulpit — used his position not to inform the American people, not to advance a worthwhile agenda for the good of Americans but rather, to tell a grievous lie about the former President and his administration:

Today, in front of members of Congress, the American people and the whole television watching world, representatives of the FBI, DOJ and NSA made statements that unequivocally refute the contents of those tweets by the bad (or sick) guy, Dear Leader Lyin' Donald Trump.

CNBC - FBI's Comey: 'I have no information' to support Trump's wiretapping tweets

"With respect to the president's tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, I have no information that supports those tweets. And we have looked carefully inside the FBI. The Department of Justice has asked me to assure you that the answer is the same for the Department of Justice and all its components," Comey testified before the House Intelligence Committee.

Furthermore, in a wholly reprehensible, self-serving maneuver, one that attacks the relationship with one of our closest allies and in doing so, was a blow against the interest of the United States and her citizens, the Trump administration accused an agency of the British government of participating in an action that was a pure fabrication.

If it wasn't obvious that this was a lie when the administration issued a formal apology, it was also soundly refuted during this morning's hearings:

National Security Agency Director Michael Rogers, who also testified Monday, said the U.S. did not ask Britain to spy on Trump. In defending Trump recently, White House press secretary Sean Spicer cited a Fox News analyst who alleged the key ally did so, prompting an angry rebuff from the intelligence agency GCHQ.

Will the Liar-In-Chief grow some integrity? Probably not. As late as Friday, this bloviating dishonest clown was embarassing himself and us in a press conference with the German Chancellor when he once again alluded to the bogus claims made in his tweets, claims that have blossomed like a corpse flower into a great stinking flase narrative which has been glommed onto by his supporters, saying, "On wiretapping by this past administration, at least we have something in common, perhaps."

President Donald J. Trump is a liar. He says things regularly that are not true. Few people's lies have greater consequence to the world than those of the President of the United States. When will enough be enough? The opinions of those of us who oppose Trump apparently don't matter enough to shame him into honesty.

It's up to you Trumpkins. You really want to Make America Great Again? Start by excerting some pressure to make Trump honest again for the first time in his life.

edit on 2017-3-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+60 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
From your title: The President Lied To The American People Again

Anyone who even has a basic understanding of how the government works or politics understands that politicians lie... it's what they do.

Do you seriously think if any other candidate were elected it would be a different story, with 100% unfiltered pure honesty and transparency? Do you live under a rock?

You made at least 73 Trump threads between May 20th and October 16th of last year alone. I just love how much energy is expended on issues like this... 73 threads in 5 months, from you alone.

Yes, Trump jumped the gun and shouldn't have said that.

edit on 20-3-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What President hasnt ?
Obama was Liar in Chief.
Regard the Senator that said "you lie" and was chastised. He actually was absolutely correct ( Obama Sh** Care would allow you to keep your policy and your doctor) The man deserves an apology from everyone....
You need a break from US politics
Perhaps a good science thread . Or joke pun thread

+37 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Do you seriously think if any other candidate were elected it would be a different story, with 100% unfiltered pure honesty and transparency? Do you live under a rock?

I seriously. Let me repeat, SERIOUSLY think that if we had elected literally anyone else that they wouldn't have written a late night tweet accusing the previous President of wiretapping him.

+47 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

So you don't care, it's business as usual? Lying as usual? Pull your head out of the sand. This isn't lying as usual. Trump has told a half century's worth of Presidential whoppers in the first two months of his term.

Where do you think we go from here if you and others continue to make lame excuses and ignore the reality that President Trump's words are often wholly divorced from that very reality?

+47 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Oh look! Another thread here on ATS about Trump!

Was getting worried that we don't have enough of those..........

+32 more 
link   
As with anything in life, you weigh the good against the bad. President Trump delivers FAR MORE GOOD THAN BAD..and he hasn't even been on the job for 100 days yet. Great President!

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh, I'm sure you're right. Something I've thought a lot about is HOW he is allowed to have a Twitter account and there is no oversight as to what he can say on it... even after the dozens (hundreds?) of questionable tweets he has made already.

...Other than the premise that he is "part of the plan" or the real string-pullers are just giving him enough rope to hang himself.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I've said it before and say it again, we need a "I HATE TRUMP" category....

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
No star no flag.

This rehash as trying to attain former glory is pretty dead.

And no, it isn't up to us "trumpkins", Mr. Libby, rather THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

You're ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well he IS an American citizen. I don't see any reason why we should infringe on his 1st Amendment rights just because he is President. I don't have a problem with him having twitter account myself. It's his lack of tact when using it that I have a problem with.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

When did I ever make an excuse for him? I even said he shouldn't have made those claims.

But in the US we have these things called "Checks and Balances" which are supposed to prevent POTUS (or Legislators, or the Supreme Court) from single-handedly ruining us.

It just so happens that all 3 branches have been successfully stripping away our rights for decades now, and we are so far gone the Founding Fathers wouldn't even recognize this form of government.

Regardless of any of that, this is where we are. And as many others have pointed out, any time Trump does ANYTHING there are a dozen threads about it and we are no longer having productive conversations about it because we have been inundated with anti-Trump for over a year now. How many threads about Trump have you alone made? It's honestly maddening.

edit on 20-3-2017 by FamCore because: bold

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I understand the 1st amendment, but as a Sitting President you would think his staffers and closest confidantes would advise him after seeing the uproar and scandals that have already come up from his tweeting... something doesn't smell right to me.

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

It is assumed, ostensibly at least, that the American people have an expectation that the President of the United States will not tell bald face lies to our faces.

Thank you for that. It really made my day.

Not defending Trump at all here, but if someone wanted to they could give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he really believes Obama spied on him. In that case, he's not really lying, he's just wrong. Assuming, of course, Obama wasn't spying on him or had nothing to do with any spying on Trump.

In any case, if this is the worst lie we get out of Trump we should consider ourselves fortunate. This "lie" won't cost American taxpayers billions or get hundreds of thousands of people killed.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Nice try.

No one will remember.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Oh I'm sure they are advising him not to do these things. He just isn't listening to them.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Oh, I'm sure you're right. Something I've thought a lot about is HOW he is allowed to have a Twitter account and there is no oversight as to what he can say on it... even after the dozens (hundreds?) of questionable tweets he has made already.

...Other than the premise that he is "part of the plan" or the real string-pullers are just giving him enough rope to hang himself.

Are you allowed to have a Twit-er account ? Is there oversight if you do ? Know how many thousands (if not millions) of questionable Twits are members of Twit-er ?

edit on 3/20/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Where's all the Trump cultists who "knew" Trump had some kind of damaging info on Obama wiretapping him? Because Trump said so.

The same people in the thread when Trump first made these allegations, that said if Trump came with no evidence, they'd call him out and hold his feet to the fire.

Hello?

I'm listening, but all I hear is crickets.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Oh I'm sure they are advising him not to do these things. He just isn't listening to them.

He is listening now! The WH is in panic mode ...

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I seriously. Let me repeat, SERIOUSLY think that if we had elected literally anyone else that they wouldn't have written a late night tweet accusing the previous President of wiretapping him.

And I seriously. Let me repeat, SERIOUSLY doubt that this is a big deal at all. and you know what he DIDN'T do? (Now this is serious.) He boarded Air Force 1 and he DID NOT TURN AROUND AND WAVE TO THE CROWD OF JOURNALISTS before he entered the plane! My God, what was he thinking? Such a breach of protocol! This is unbelievable! Here you have Hillary claiming she ducked sniper fire and Obama saying you can keep your doctor and hey! That's OK! But have Trump tweet a suspicion he had and everyone goes bat poop crazy. At this point you guys are just a parody of yourselves. It's funny, but not credible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join