It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina customers until he saw ‘proof of residency’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

can't you see they are just fed up americans that want "their" country and "way of life" back so bad that they are willing to act un-american. i wonder if thats how some americans felt immediately after jim crow. fed up americans that lynched blacks because they wanted "their" country and "way of life" back.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
[
The. Restaurant. Confirmed. The. Story. Why would a restaurant confirm a story that would give them bad publicity if it was false?

You don know that writing In. Fragmented. Words. Linked. By. Periods. doesn't exactly prove anything, right?

I have known many a case of wrongful termination based on the claims of a customer or a misunderstanding (or willful lack of understanding) by management. Just because the manager claims the complaint was valid does not necessarily make it so--managers are human, as are waiters, and both can make mistakes.

But to 'flip the script' on your claim of this being bad publicity, I think that you are wrong--this doesn't give the restaurant bad publicity, but what it does is show the population of a VERY Hispanic California that there is a zero tolerance for disrespecting them. I'd be willing to bet that this increases positive views of the restaurant in that area.

Regardless of all of this type of discussion, the reality is that, without the statement from the waiter, we only have 1.5 sides of the story, and that is not enough information with which to claim to have all of the facts.

But if it did happen as noted in the story, I stand by my initial comment that the restaurant did the right thing.

Yup

Exactly why they wouldn't want to deal with explaining it was a bad joke and being viewed as defending the comments..

Over an easily replaceable 2$ an hour employee?!?!

Almost never...

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So at this point we are debating on if the waiter was telling a joke or being serious. So are you admitting that this guy said something insensitive?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: Antipathy17
I'm not to sure this person has their head on right. Wiki says "As of 2015, California has the largest minority population in the United States.". Was this guy going to run around surprise nazi'ing all the minorities? Seems like flawed logic overall, tell-tale sign of a nutter.

Or a joke that went horribly wrong and the buisness wasn't gonna try and defend...

Say he was really checking for age for cocktails and as a joke said

" I gotta make sure y'all are from here.."

Attempting for it to be viewed as a silly, sarcastic joke..but then it blew up...

That's exactly how I feel it went down. He was just being dumb and said the wrong thing in a politically charged environment, especially california.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I must say that I have to agree with you on this (did I just say that?
)

I posted that it's good that the restaurant did the right thing, but that's assuming that the story is factual. Without hearing the other side of the story (from the actual waiter...I didn't see anything note that they tried to get a statement from him and he declined), it's impossible to take this at face value without some sort of concern about its veracity.

Would a media organization ruin their click bait with the headline..

"Joke goes horribly wrong"

Hell no..

Just omit the joke part and you go viral..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Dang illegals...coming into our restaurants and eating all our food.

I doubt this story...First...It's California.

Second...How do we know the waiter said what they say he said?

It's his word against theirs...and, by default, the customer is always right.
It is not uncommon to lie in order to get out of paying a bill...to get a discount...or to receive a future comp from the manager.

Restaurants live in constant fear of getting a bad online comment...and will always bend over backwards to prevent receiving one from difficult customers.
edit on 20-3-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

I'm not to sure this person has their head on right. Wiki says "As of 2015, California has the largest minority population in the United States.". Was this guy going to run around surprise nazi'ing all the minorities? Seems like flawed logic overall, tell-tale sign of a nutter.

Or a joke that went horribly wrong and the buisness wasn't gonna try and defend...

Attempting for it to be viewed as a silly, sarcastic joke..but then it blew up...

That's exactly how I feel it went down. He was just being dumb and said the wrong thing in a politically charged environment, especially california.

Wouldn't be the first time.. that happens quite often..

But was doesn't happen is servers who think they can refuse service...

That is instant termination ALMOST anywhere.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It is easier to just say "we are horrified and fired him" than to explain then defend a joke gone wrong...

As a former restaurateur I can tell you that when I was hiring waiters and waitresses I was not looking for clowns and comedians.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

That joke would get you fired in Mississippi..

I live in Mississippi. Lol

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

)

I posted that it's good that the restaurant did the right thing, but that's assuming that the story is factual. Without hearing the other side of the story (from the actual waiter...I didn't see anything note that they tried to get a statement from him and he declined), it's impossible to take this at face value without some sort of concern about its veracity.

Hell no..

Waiter fired after asking Latinas for 'proof of residency' at upscale Huntington Beach eatery

At first the friends thought the waiter might be joking. “But he didn’t have a smile,” said Diana Carrillo, 24, who works for a mortgage broker company. “There was no indication that he was trying to make a joke or even possibly flirt with us.”

These ladies certainly didn't feel like he was joking with them.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It is easier to just say "we are horrified and fired him" than to explain then defend a joke gone wrong...

As a former restaurateur I can tell you that when I was hiring waiters and waitresses I was not looking for clowns and comedians.

*Throws down apron, order pad, rubber nose and storms out!*

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

)

Hell no..

Waiter fired after asking Latinas for 'proof of residency' at upscale Huntington Beach eatery

At first the friends thought the waiter might be joking. “But he didn’t have a smile,” said Diana Carrillo, 24, who works for a mortgage broker company. “There was no indication that he was trying to make a joke or even possibly flirt with us.”

Maybe the waiter was just a lousy comedian...(I should know).

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

)

Hell no..

That could have been the cold chill down your spine as you realize how bad you just screwed up lol...

Like when you make a crude comment to the really big guy next to you about some random chic and he looks at you and says

"That's my wife!"

Lol

All blood drains from your face and you look for the nearest hole to crawl into...

The thing is that no one ever who is a well versed server would think they could do any of that.. even a rookie should know that..

However bad jokes that blow up and get you fired is literally an every day thing amongst waiters..

That's the math I'm working on..

Any person not working their first day would know exactly what the end result of doing that would be..

I think it is telling that all the restaurant people are instantly like "not happening."

It is akin to a painter assuming it is ok to only paint half the house..
edit on 20-3-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

*Throws down apron, order pad, rubber nose and storms out!*
BWAHAHA

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

That's funny...considering you worked at 'Jack-In-The-Box'...where EVERYONE ordered from a clown.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

So at this point we are debating on if the waiter was telling a joke or being serious. So are you admitting that this guy said something insensitive?

I think so.

The way I described it happens at least once a day in every state ..prob more..

A server who thinks they can refuse service and act as immigration enforcement is as rare as a unicorn lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Restaurant people? Lol. You aren't special. I've worked in a restaurant before too, among many other customer service jobs. I know all about how to correctly interact with customers and what to say and not to say. The point is that this guy should have known better. You admit as such, but he said it anyways. So CLEARLY he wasn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut in that regard, so why are we giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't being serious with his remarks?
edit on 20-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Oddly, for a story that is now garnering more attention than when it happened, Saint Marc's has taken down their apology from their FB page and there is no mention of the incident. The Carrillo girl that posted about it also edited the post to include that everyone should pass it along to friends and family.

Methinks this is going to be shown as a half truth type story or completely fabricated in the end. Whether is is solely from her or collusion with the Bearden guy or the unnamed server.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina customers until he saw ‘proof of residency’

Get up walk the fk-out and don't give pricks your hard earned money, I understand the need for people wanted to be treated like everyone else, but it's YOUR MONEY!! stop giving it to people who disrespect you.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I think so.

The way I described it happens at least once a day in every state ..prob more..

A server who thinks they can refuse service and act as immigration enforcement is as rare as a unicorn lol.

It really baffles my mind why you find it so hard to believe that an American in the age of Trump could act like a racist towards latinas.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join