It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You a #Phobic?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

We've all heard of Arachnophobia (the fear of spiders), Acrophobia (the fear of heights) and Ophiophobia (the fear of snakes), all quite common and is not irrational at all to be suffering from one of these, although the word "phobia" means highly irrational fear of something. But some of these other phobias that you probably haven't heard of epitomizes the meaning. As silly as some of these are, these are absolutely real and people are actually suffering from these, so try not to laugh..

Heliophobia: The fear of the sun, sunlight or any bright light. So if you're heliophobic, chances are you might be a vampire. Either that or you've been partying all night.

Arachibutyrophobia: No relation to Arachnophobia, Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. Not even the peanut butter itself, but the thought of it getting stuck there. Do you take the risk and eat the delicious peanut butter sandwich? Dilemmas..

Ergasiophobia: Or Ergophobia, is the abnormal fear of work or finding employment. Wait so you mean there is a longer scientific word for being lazy? Jokes aside, this is a real thing, I wonder if one can be ergophobic by choice.

Globophobia: I think some of you have heard of this before, I remember seeing it on The Maury Show and thought it was a joke. The fear of balloons and especially balloons being popped is very real. Stay away from children's birthday parties.

Geniophobia: The fear of chins. Yes the chin on your face. I can't help but chuckle when I read that, but quickly remember that these are serious things that people are actually suffering from and it's not a joke. What can be worse than going through life being terrified of chins?

Genuphobia: The cousin of Geniophobia, this is the fear of knees. Varies from the fear of your own knee, to the fear of all knees and even the act of kneeling. I guess there is something that's worst than fear of chins, a fear of both knees and chins. I would never wish these on anybody.

Oikophobia: This is the abnormal fear of your home, house or home appliances. Pertinent to today with what's going on in society with all the security and surveillance issues. I think we are becoming an Oikophobic world. Scared of your toaster? You aren't alone.

Allodoxaphobia: a rare social disorder that is also somewhat pertinent today, the fear of opinions. I know what you're thinking, most of us here at ATS suffer from this, but Allodoxaphobia can make you very uneasy, cause nausea and have a panic attack just from hearing an opinion. I'm guessing this is the epitome of being "triggered".

Phobophobia: That's right, the fear of phobias itself and all things related. If you've successfully read everything up until now and you're still in one piece, you're off the hook. I probably shouldn't be joking about these things because it's obvious these are serious psychological problems and mental illness in general is no laughing matter.

Trumphobia: Last but certainly not least, Trumphobia is a real phenomena happening right before our eyes, the irrational fear of Donald Trump. Many will argue this, but imho I think it's alive and well.

Don't shoot the messenger.
edit on 19-3-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
My new years resolution was to toss the word Phobia. It has been bastardized to meaningless mouthboogie.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Trumphobia.

Well, someone once told me that all phobias are irrational. So yeah, add it to the list for sure

I'm afraid of spiders but never been bitten or harmed or anything other than had my safe space almost violated by spiders.

People are afraid of Trump but never been bitten or harmed or anything other than had their safe space almost violated by Trump.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Spiders. They really give me the heebie jeebies...
I'm ok with heights, but afraid of falling from heights.

I once saw on TV, someone who was afraid of cotton balls. I'm afraid I'm lacking in empathy on that one, I wanted her to be stuffed into a bin with cotton balls. Or for everyone to throw cotton balls at her....

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I'm not phobic but I am "philic".

I'm a Pluviophile.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

in all seriousness, if you read some case studies of when some of these phobias manifest and are diagnosed, you get some insight into how they come to be. William SIdhis, the smartest man to ever live, was wholly unaccomplished in life because of his ergophobia.

It wasn't effort that drove him into seclusion and an early death. It was his fear of the stress and pressure of having to make so many decisions, and have so much responsibility.

I can relate to that, honestly. Sometimes my job is a pressure cooker that I only survive by disassociating to some degree.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I think it's safe to say we all share the fear of "falling from heights"

I think these phobias are some type of defense mechanism or subconscious way of blocking a more deeply rooted psychological problem, no laughing matter but I also share the lack of empathy for some of these.. it's hard not to atleast giggle at some.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

My personal favorite..

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I must have a fear of success because I'm constantly tapped out at the end of every month

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I was close to adding that! Lol. But that word is way too hard to pronounce.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Let's call that, Needaraisephobia.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It just makes me laugh. It sounds just like it is spelled.

How would you even tell somebody that suffers from it what they have without triggering an episode... I think that is what I find so amusing..

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

thoughtphobia: fear of thinking, especially when in the presence of asshole telepaths.

malintentphobia: fear of hurting others in any form, including mal intentioned thoughts.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
My new years resolution was to toss the word Phobia. It has been bastardized to meaningless mouthboogie.

My phobia is a paralyzing fear of meaningless mouthboogie; couple that with an unreasonable hatred of brown shoes and Houston, we have a problem.

edit on 19-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm with the spider folks. Spiders are soooo creepy!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

There is a difference between fearing spiders that can kill you, and fearing all spiders, even photographs of them, even if they are just little money spiders.

The difference is, that fearing spiders that can and do kill human beings, is not at all irrational, and cannot be said to be arachnophobic behaviour. Fearing spiders that could not kill you, even if they really tried very hard indeed, IS arachnophobia.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Nope don't have a phobia, well not as yet just haven't come across it whatever it might be.

Nice thread OP didn't know most of that stuff.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Coulroarachnophobia. The fear of goddamn spider clowns.

edit on 20-3-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Being the guy that always ruins the joke....the word is nonsensical and is used only in comedic manners. The actual fear, or discomfort, with long words is sesquipedalophobia, and its less a fear and more just someone who gets anxious about their bad spelling. There isn't much legitimate clinical use.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Party pooper coming with the facts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join