It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Think Insurance Premiums Will Ever Go Down..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Once they go up, premiums hardly ever go down. It will take at least a year for the premiums to go down, the insurance companies have to recover what they paid out by Obamacare increasing people using the insurance for stupid things.

No one will is ever gonna be able to make taking care of your population profitable..not and actually get the job done..

I'm really surprised trump doesn't put his name on the most beneficial single payer option on the planet.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

The price of insurance will go down when the price of healthcare goes down... the price of healthcare will go down when people have more and better options... people will have more and better options when we stop letting our congress critters and corporatists control our healthcare...

It's neither an accident nor a coincidence that the most promising and abundant natural medicine of our time is criminalized.

For one thing , that was the system we had pre Obamacare and prices were still triple what every other modern country pays.

I don't think you can get around having insurance companies taking 25+ % of all money spent on healthcare as their profits when they are not preforming a healthcare related function and still be efficient...at all...

The more middle men the higher the cost and insurance companies are just massively unneeded middlemen.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

...that was the system we had pre Obamacare and prices were still triple what every other modern country pays.

No, not really. We have an FDA (and other bureaucrats) controlling any and every medicine they can, by hook or by crook, creating artificial supplies for the demand, from monopolies on specific medicines to complete bans on others. Government decides who can produce them, who can provide them, and who can purchase them. Further, whereas other governments can and do negotiate bulk prices, our government refuses to negotiate on our behalf. We have doctors and hospitals taking cut rates and barely staying in business, while pharmaceuticals are allowed to go through the roof.

And that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

I don't think you can get around having insurance companies taking 25+ % of all money spent on healthcare as their profits when they are not preforming a healthcare related function and still be efficient...at all...

Definitely. Insurance is NOT healthcare. And insurance is really not the right model to fund our healthcare. Insurance is for an "if", not a "when," and most certainly not for a "during" or an "after." Insurance is not appropriate for ongoing conditions requiring continued -- even lifetime -- care, but only for one-time events/claims that are easily resolved. Too often people needing medical care the most are unable to work, thus losing income, employment, and their insurance. Nor can insurance be expected to cover every little scratch or bug or bruise that comes along -- a line has to be drawn between maintenance and repairs so to speak.

The more middle men the higher the cost and insurance companies are just massively unneeded middlemen.

Yup. Agreed one hundred percent. They served a purpose once, when the medical industry and technology was still taking baby steps, but not today -- at least not as we know them.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

J.C., your understanding of how the industry operates is all messed up. I hope you learn the truth, and gain inner-peace at some point.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Although The Canada Health Act does not cover prescription drugs, home care or long-term care, prescription glasses or dental care... It alienates no one. You cannot be denied health care, no matter what you make. It is not free, and is funded through taxation, but Canadians pay out-of-pocket for these services or rely on private insurance, just like most of us have to do already.

There is a model here that works, albeit certainly not perfect (what is?) and it is astounding that we have to go through so much civilian misery and carnage to get it for ourselves, a nation that is more concerned about health, than any other nation. The medical industry needs a total reset.
edit on 19-3-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Of course they wont, when the democrats caved to the Insurance lobby I imagine the bribes were substantial... and now the republicans want a piece of the pie.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Premiums won't fall even when they repeal the ACA/Obamacare. People have short memories because they've clearly forgotten the outrageous premium increases that happened before the ACA was signed into law. As long as health insurance is for profit, health insurance companies will continue to push through whatever premium increases they can get away with.

And before the ACA, people with pre-existing conditions were also getting kicked off their insurance once they actually needed it, even though they'd been paying into it for years.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

J.C., your understanding of how the industry operates is all messed up. I hope you learn the truth, and gain inner-peace at some point.

Then please enlighten me..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Premiums won't fall even when they repeal the ACA/Obamacare. People have short memories because they've clearly forgotten the outrageous premium increases that happened before the ACA was signed into law. As long as health insurance is for profit, health insurance companies will continue to push through whatever premium increases they can get away with.

And before the ACA, people with pre-existing conditions were also getting kicked off their insurance once they actually needed it, even though they'd been paying into it for years.

Yup people always forget it must have been pretty bad if congress was able to agree to fix it lol

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Of course they wont, when the democrats caved to the Insurance lobby I imagine the bribes were substantial... and now the republicans want a piece of the pie.

Republicans got their Piece when they shoehorned insurance companies into the Acs.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There is a profit motive for physicians to over diagnose and the US public doesn't know how to manage their own health out of pocket.
The elephant in the room..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
They will definitely never go down when it's required by law to purchase them. They can charge whatever the hell they want and you still have to buy it, thanks to Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Republicans got their Piece when they shoehorned insurance companies into the Acs.

Keep repeating the lie and I guess people will start to believe it... so the republicans that could not stop the ACA from passing somehow managed to force the democrats into gutting the bill and stacking it heavily in favor of the insurance companies... and then all voted against it?

Is that the narrative you are claiming?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Also saw recently, some doctors are going back to the family doctor way of doing things, direct pay I think it was called... you pay a subscription fee to the doctor and he/she in turn actually treats the whole person rather than here is a jar of opiates call me when you OD.

That coupled with the cash pay surgery centers... and health insurance companies may have cut their own throats in the future...

At least one can hope..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Also saw recently, some doctors are going back to the family doctor way of doing things, direct pay I think it was called... you pay a subscription fee to the doctor and he/she in turn actually treats the whole person rather than here is a jar of opiates call me when you OD.

That coupled with the cash pay surgery centers... and health insurance companies may have cut their own throats in the future...

At least one can hope..

Sadly it is still not very cheap and the prescriptions still cost like crazy..

The insurance companies drive the prices up on everything.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Keep repeating the lie and I guess people will start to believe it... so the republicans that could not stop the ACA from passing somehow managed to force the democrats into gutting the bill and stacking it heavily in favor of the insurance companies... and then all voted against it?

Is that the narrative you are claiming?

That's evactly what happened.. the democrats wanted single payer from the start and the GOP went all death panels , socialized medicine and such. to get the insurance companies included.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Democrats did not need them... they caved over perception, the fault is still theirs.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Democrats did not need them... they caved over perception, the fault is still theirs.

That's fair...

As long as your concurring that they poisoned the well which is the only reason the insurance companies were included.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Although The Canada Health Act does not cover prescription drugs, home care or long-term care, prescription glasses or dental care... It alienates no one. You cannot be denied health care, no matter what you make. It is not free, and is funded through taxation, but Canadians pay out-of-pocket for these services or rely on private insurance, just like most of us have to do already.

There is a model here that works, albeit certainly not perfect (what is?) and it is astounding that we have to go through so much civilian misery and carnage to get it for ourselves, a nation that is more concerned about health, than any other nation. The medical industry needs a total reset.

Yours is an uncomfortable truth, which is why you're getting so much response. (eyes roll)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

As long as people can sign up and be 100% instantly covered, anytime they want, health insurance premiums will stay high and go even higher. The more people who learn how to play that game, the higher premiums will go. The GOP plan, as it stands, will finish off the Individual Health Insurance industry in America. None will participate.

What's needed is a 6 month look-back and look-forward, when it comes to existing medical conditions being covered. Get the insurance, but treatment of your recently diagnosed hernia will not be covered by your health insurance plan for 6 months.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join