It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Just 93 miles off the cost of Brazil is an Island that few people dare visit. Ilha da Queimada Grande also known as Snake Island contains several different kinds of habitat including forest, clearings, and shrubs. Though it has a very mild climate with the temperature staying between 64 to 72 degrees, you wouldn't want to visit. It has a snake population of 1-5 snakes per square meter.These aren't your average garden snakes, these are a deadly species of the Pit Viper called the Golden Lancehead. They are so dangerous that the Brazilian Navy has forbidden anyone from landing on the island except for a few scientific groups.

These slithery bastards can reach up to 4 feet long but on average are around 2 1/2 feet. These snakes are only found in uninhabited areas so there has never been an official report of a bite. However other Lanceheads are responsible for the majority of snake related human deaths in North and South America. Affects of a bite from a Lancehead can include:

swelling, local pain, nausea and vomiting, blood blisters, bruising, blood in the vomit and urine, intestinal bleeding, kidney failure, hemorrhage in the brain and severe necrosis of muscular tissue.

The snake population is fed by migrating birds and enough visit the island to keep them all fed. If you ever dare to visit just remember, you are never more then 3 feet away from certain death.

Link
Link

Here is a short video from Nat Geo Wild.

edit on 19-3-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I used to fear snakes, now they don't bother me at all. So cute, those little guys just need a hug!

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Just the thought of that place would send a ophidiophobia sufferer right over the edge!

Seriously, we need a Bunny Island, with 1-5 bunnies per square meter. They're cute and fuzzy, and you won't get necrosis if they bite you!

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Haha! That would be cool, hopefully the snakes wouldn't find that island.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Japan has a Bunny Island.

Ōkunoshima ("Rabbit Island")

edit on 3 19 2017 by SgtHamsandwich because: Added wiki link.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Did you happen to see the recent tv show on Discovery called: Treasure Quest: Snake Island? Basically a group of treasure hunters went there to search for rumoured Spanish treasure. They spent a week or so there, no-one got bitten though there were a few close calls.

Coming from a country that is full of Top Ten deadly snakes (Australia), to me it really just looked like a typical camping trip we would do here.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

No I haven't seen that. I'm checking out some videos on youtube now

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

It continues on after that in South America in the next season - and they actually find something too

It's OK, it's not the greatest show out there and it's definitely not as good as "The Curse of Oak Island" but it kept me entertained.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Read about that island years ago.there used to be a lighthouse there,but everyone who tried to live there died.Snakes are not the only deadly residents,there are also Brazilian wandering spiders there.I`m not very scared of snakes or spiders,but that's a place wouldn`t want to go.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

They just grow them to eat them-like they do every other living thing. Run, bunnies, run!
edit on 19-3-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Read about that island years ago.there used to be a lighthouse there,but everyone who tried to live there died.Snakes are not the only deadly residents,there are also Brazilian wandering spiders there.I`m not very scared of snakes or spiders,but that's a place wouldn`t want to go.

sounds like a good Island for testing nuclear weapons.

how did naked and afraid not film there?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42No need to test nukes,old tech and we only keep them so we don`t show the really lethel stuff,besides the snakes deserve to live much more than ISIS,lol.Naked and afraid producers must be sane or can`t find anyone stupid enough to go there.Seriously theres a possibility that medical advances may come from researching the golden lanceheads venom.

edit on 23-3-2017 by ridgerunner because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I set a goal to visit Brazil this summer. I have booked tickets on lowcost.club... on this July. I will spend only 10 days there and have made a huge list of place to see: Chapada Diamantina, Corcovado, Jericoacoara, Ouro Preto and esp want to see Amazon River. I hope I'll have time to visit all these sights.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

FauxMulder

This picture is evil!

I love nature, but I am deathly afraid of snakes...due to a childhood experience with them. I know they do a lot of good things for the environment, just have never been able to get over the fear of them.

I was reading that the golden lancehead venom on the island is 5 times more powerful than on the continent. Which is interesting that there would be such a huge difference between the two.. although they do not state why.

A chemical analysis of golden lancehead venom suggests that the snake is much more dangerous than its continental cousins: golden lancehead viper venom is faster acting and more powerful — perhaps five times more powerful.

I would look into it a bit farther..but, I think that is as far as I'm willing to investigate. Maybe I'll just go and research the bunny island that another poster linked.

Thanks for the thread,

blend57

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
I was reading that the golden lancehead venom on the island is 5 times more powerful than on the continent. Which is interesting that there would be such a huge difference between the two.. although they do not state why.

If I were to take a guess I would say that it is stronger due to the snakes living on an island and needing their prey to drop dead immediately instead of having a chance to fly off and do it elsewhere. Snakes with the strongest venom reproduced and now you have a resort island of legends.

edit on 6-4-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If I were to take a guess I would say that it is stronger due to the snakes living on an island and needing their prey to drop dead immediately instead of having a chance to fly off and do it elsewhere. Snakes with the strongest venom reproduced and now you have a resort island of legends.

I thought maybe it was due to something like that..

Did you know that bunny island is home to more than 300 rabbits?

Oh look..cute bunny pictures!

Thanks for answering the question. I'll check it out further... if I ever work up the courage to

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Okay, that place looks worth visiting. Rabbit is yummy.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Pure evil! Reminds me of Indiana Jones in the snake pit!

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We could always merge snake and rabbit islands for a death match. Everyone thinks snakes would win but those bunnies have been trained by Chuck Norris

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I've never had my appetite for coffee ruined, but seeing the effects of the pit viper on that foot atop the page was enough to do it.

I have to admit, snakes don't bother me and the last one I saw on my property was shot, beheaded, skinned, and grilled (learned to do that from watching Naked and Afraid) because I just so happened to be grilling that day. Killing, skinning, and then eating that snake actually cured any heebie jeebies I'd had of walking up on them and I started walking my property and hunting them for a few weeks afterwards. But........the Brazilian Wandering spider. Naw, nuh-uh, nope!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I was thinking, if it were Spider Clown Island I'd probably be less disinclined to visit.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join