It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less than 1% (Percent) of Water on earth is safely drinkable

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

According to a World Health Organization report, a full third of the world’s population lives without access to proper toilet facilities. This causes natural water reserves to become contaminated with human waste, which in turn causes disease. India is just one of many countries in which rural populations suffer acutely as a direct result of poor, or no, sanitation.

www.rt.com...

"Cry of a river"

An excellent and informative documentary that has totally destroyed me this am.

In India I notice their leather industry is making exactly the same mistakes as Paris did in the 19th century. The Ganges is totally polluted. The groundwater for so many people is totally polluted and in every other house in some poorer areas there are household members who have cancer because of the water they are FORCED to consume because there isn't any more.

Humans never learn. Greed rules and there seems to be no way of preventing those who destroy our earth for profit from poisoning us with their industries.

All that cancer just so the leather can be cheap. Those bastards pour water full of chemicals like Chromium Sulphate into holes in the ground and it is drunk by the local poor people because they get their water from wells.

The video is disturbing. It is a real horror story and is very painful to watch. No matter how many tears nothing is going to change because our world worships greed.

I am totally cut up about what is happening to these dear people. It is one of the nastiest things I have heard of to date coming from the modern world.

Confound these fools for their murderous business. Respect to RT for their excellent documentaries. This News Channel makes our Western News look like the Orwellian disinformation it really is and IT IS. RT might be guilty of propagandizing at times, but our media is guilty of so much worse - to the point of ABUSING us with disinformation.

edit on 19-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Its all ok because we have cheap clothes, cheap chocolate, cheap cars etc...

We have have first world problems around here in case you havent noticed, wait what did he just tweet

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
So its our fault the ganges is polluted
if they want to # themselves let them

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

No one is saying it is our fault, but any consumer who buys Indian leather because it is cheaper is partly guilty. That is how I see it. I was wondering where all the cheap leather was coming from that suddenly came on the market a few years back; now I know and I am shocked.

THEY who are dying of cancer can't afford any leather at all. They are innocents with nothing; some of the very poorest people in the world. Their suffering cries out to me and as another human being I must have a response. If I have no emotion about seeing such plight in a fellow creature then I should question the health of my conscience.

What can I do about this? I can write yet another useless blooming email. Personally, I would guarantee India that I would buy from them their leather if they clean up their act. I will pay a bit more if it can help. Buying no leather from them at all will only make the poorest of the poor even poorer than before (good at rhyming, aren't I - years of poem writing and songwriting you see). I don't want cheap. I want quality and humanity first and foremost and I am willing to have less because really I know LESS IS MORE in this situation.

I fear for you. I fear for you and your children because the whole earth is becoming toxic. We shall end up with all of us having household members with cancer, just like them (yeah, regular people, just like you).

I know everyone these days thinks the Bible is junk, but I believe the prophesies and it distinctly mentions there;

en.wikipedia.org...(Bible)

Wormwood is mentioned seven times in the Hebrew Bible, always with the implication of bitterness.[2] Although the word wormwood appears several times in the Old Testament, translated from the Hebrew term לענה (la'anah, which means "curse" in Arabic and Hebrew), its only mention in the New Testament is in the Book of Revelation: "The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter." (Rev 8:10–11)

Hindu holy men will tell you the same thing: They say that if the Ganges dies then so will the universe. I agree with them. They say so in the video. Please do watch it if you get the chance. Right now you have to watch it as scheduled, but after a while they put it in their archive at RT and you can watch it any time.

Lol, my initials are MAE. Mae is an old Hebrew name and means "Bitter". Damn, "Revolution9 Wormwood" (sounds kinda cute, don't it).

Doing the math: If there is not enough water already for people and we lose a third of that to contamination then how will that reflect on human mortality?

climateviewer.com...

list25.com...

"Like a thief in the night"; that means coming upon us by stealth. TS Eliot wrote in his poem "The Hollow Men" that:

"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper"

Put all these things together across the world: the slaying of the Amazon, radioactive zones (and many we don't know about because they keep it a secret), groundwater and ocean pollution, agricultural toxicity in both the soil and the water table, genetic corruption via genetically modified crops, diseases becoming resistant to antibiotics which are our only and last defense resource, and so much more comes to mind instantly. Do the math. We will end up with a third of the world dying, a third of the animals and fishes and a third of the humans. Do you think that you are the 1 in 3 or the 2 in 3? The chips are down. Deal the cards upon us, fate.

I know they knew. That is why I know it will happen. I don't want it to happen. I don't know if we have any say in it. I think we do because we are the CURSE and we are the WORMWOOD on the earth, the animals and ourselves. It follows that if we can change our behavior then WORMWOOD might move further away from us for the time being.

OK, enough conscience and craziness from me. I was so disturbed by this video today. Thanks for the tolerance.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Call me finicky, partly guilty, or whatever you feel free to do. I just have a hard time putting guilt to consumers for the environmental results of where goods are made. Wanna blame the factories and such, ok... but the end user has no influence as to how safety measures are taken during processing of goods.

Look at Flint, Michigan... a contaminated water crisis emerged, and although slow to respond, measures are in place to alter the crisis for the better. Maybe their is less finances to do it, yes... but it does not take rocket science application to understand that not cleaning up after one self and particularly in densely populated sectors, leads to decay, bacteria, and fungi to thrive. There's no way in hell one would find me living in a town where the people relieve themselves in fresh water supplies and dump their garbage on the streets like it belongs there.

I see the one guy in the video sourcing the cause of problems... why are all those other people content to not change it themselves? I understand very well that poverty comes with such sterotypical hardships included. But those that are critical of the end users of the goods they manufacture create a double edged sword scenario. Sure, the environmental problems of poor dumping practices would subside if we all stopped buying the goods, but it also means that absolutely zero money would be flowing into the areas if it stopped... yielding similar results.

Areas have the free will to manufacture what fits the needs of the locals. Why on Earth is that place not being educated on how to farm cleaner & better... and establish more functional society? Instead, they skip crawling and shoot straight for running by opening factories?

I grew up in an area of which becoming a successful adult is a struggle to achieve. It was clear to me that the area leads to poor success rates. So, I uprooted and left. I may return from time to time to visit... but its our individual responsibilities as mentally capable adult humans to provide a clean and stable nest to dwell in. Even dogs know not to poop where they sleep... why is this such a hard thing to figure out?

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
But it also feeds them a swell
at the end of the day its the rich who calls the shots and not buying leather bags which i dont aint going to solve a problem like Maria

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

its ok there is inventions on the way to deal with all this.... keep calm.
www.iflscience.com...
www.graphene-info.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Excellent video, caught it the other day. People dying of cancer from bathing, fingers and hands burned by tanning acids, disfigured for life or slow death, all for profit and exploitation of the poor peoples slave labor and the last resources on Earth.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

ok... but the end user has no influence as to how safety measures are taken during processing of goods.

Yes they do, every time they buy them.

"Buy local" mean anything to you?

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The real issue is it's killing our food chain. Humans have ingenuity, we collect rain and safe sources of water from unfathomable locations. Scientists are also scrambling on desalinization as we speak to utilize ocean water. Even on a basic level, humans have boiled water to make it safer for consumption for hundreds of thousands, if not a million years.

.08% of Earth's water is also...still a lot of water. Not to downplay the importance, but .08% of Earths freshwater water is 300 Quadrillion water bottles. That's enough for everyone in the world to consume 100 a day for 100 years. Over 10% of this water renews each year with rainfall.

The Oceans really need to be taken out of these % equations too, it does nothing but cause massive distortion to the issue. The 70% of Ice it casually dismisses only needs to be harvested to be made drinkable too. There is 100x more of this ice than the 300 Quadrillion water bottles.
edit on 19-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I came here to say the same but wouldn't have been able to say it so eloquently.

Greedy manufacturers of anything dangerous always bank on the end user taking the blame. Plastic bags polluting the environment? Why it's the user at fault for wanting them.
Carcinogens in air - end user demands goods, there you are, their fault.

It's not. End users use what is being offered at good faith. We don't know what is involved in the making. We see a good price and are happy. We expect that along the line there must have been many inspections to ensure everything is hunky dory.
If poor countries don't have that in place yet some greedy, uncaring manufacturer decides that he really doesn't give a flying fck, then they are at fault. Next is their government for failing to put adequate rules on this. Then it's those that know and order goods to sell here in the west.

There are a hell of a lot of people before the end user at fault.

Once we know, yes, we could boycott this, but not before. However I personally have no clue where something is made unless it says so. Cheap leather goods could be cheap for any reason and I don't have enough money to refuse a bargain that is offered to me by a reputable chain.

Last but not least, it is a learning curve for India. We had the exact same problems here during the industrial revolution. First everything goes, then we find out what is harmful and eventually standards are raised. That is how a nation grows from 3rd world to civilised.
[If they even want to].

No, end users are NOT to blame. You are protecting the wrongdoers.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sure, buy local means something to me, but I am one of 300 million in the U.S.. I am rational enough to concept that no matter what I stop buying, there's millions of other idiots to pick up the slack. And, it also brings about the realities that there is likely things I still consume daily in my life that has unknown harsh affects on the environment and people that reside around where its made... I may change if I knew that, but how can I be blamed if I don't know that. This likely includes that some may think I am an idiot for not knowing such intricate details of the manufacturers processes... but it's simply the law of averages.

I learned today that the Ganges houses hundreds of tanneries... thankfully I am clear of idiocy on this one, because I don't use leather. I was actually quite shocked to learn this, being cows are sacred entities in Hindu culture. In the end, if magic happens and everyone in the world stops buying Ganges leather, it seems the people will still fill their water with dead people, poop, pee, and who knows what else. Therefore, I exclude myself from any blame if any leather I possess or possessed was purchased unknowingly. Once its on the racks, the sellers own karmic rights to the affects of the people... the sheeple should not be steering the ship.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

CRY ME A RIVER!

This Lady Mari used to sing and jam in my brother in law's barn. She is very beautiful. I have spoken with her; a gentle soul and very sincere. She does jazz delicately and sensitively if you like that sort of thing; I do. This song is for those dear people who are having such a terrible ordeal and live a life being poisoned even by the water they have no choice but to drink.

Leave you with a line from "The Ancient Mariner" by the Lake Poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge;

"Water, water everywhere
And not a drop to drink".

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You are empathetic and sympathetic. These are admirable qualities which the Elite unfortunately lack. The trouble is: how can you change a control system that was designed, implemented and maintained in a manner that makes you unable to escape?

Hence, why I am a nihilist.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Exactly... I thought Walmart was the best thing on Earth when I was poor and needed their affordable products. These days, you won't catch me spending a penny in Walmart because I oppose their employee standards and their hoarding of wealth. Walmart's con... they keep their employees in poverty, so they are able to receive public living assistance, therefore their pay checks go right back into Walmart because they offer the most for your money... they double dip into our public funds while moving them to their accounts. Because I despise the Walton's, I can't find it within my heart to put blame on people for shopping at Walmart and supporting their deceit. It's time the rightful owners of guilt be put to the stake instead of the end users...

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I realize we have no control over hundreds (thousands) of tanneries, just our own actions.

If we buy locally we don't support the mega global corporations.

That i can get behind, personally.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I agree wholly. I try to only buy foreign when its an item specific to a region. Like, these saws I am in love with... Silky... Japanese. I find it to be what I like the most, and no U.S. company offers a comparable or better result... I don't put much thought into the purchases past getting the best result for the money spent. There's 3 factors to choose from... GOOD-FAST-CHEAP... no matter what buyers can only pick 2... origins are a secondary thought at the most.

If I found out that the saws I bought were made in a sweat shop by an eight year old, I would still not feel guilty one bit. I'd feel shame for the operators, and likely not purchase from them again. But, since the chances of thought entering that arena are secondary at most to begin with, people are more likely to stick to buying the goods anyway.

If taxation and regulation were handled properly in the U.S., then we wouldn't even be having these debates. Instead, we'd be on humanitarian missions to India to teach them how to stop pooping in their water. The competitors of big business are usually the ones shopping in these poor sectors globally. I work for a company that used to be a distributor for Ingersoll Rand... a U.S. company. They over time pushed the little man out and forced new measures to keep the doors open. How's my boss get around IR? By purchasing goods from India that are made to IR specs, but of crap quality. They're bought in bulk cheap, and are in need of overhaul before they are even ran... I am talking machines now. But the small business man is forced these measures if the pay checks are to remain flowing. I know this person despises having to buy foreign, but big business, fortune 500's, and multi national organizations cause people to spend money where they might wish not to spend.

I agree, buy local... but its something that we can only ween ourselves from. To cut it off entirely would cripple those that are already suffering the quickest. Just imagine the famine if they shut all those doors to the tanneries tomorrow? Just, too much... too quickly... can yield even more horrific results then is witnessed in these current times.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

We gave em the money , jobs , and tech to do it

Let em have at it...

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Wanna take a guess at all the pollution created by manufacturing the electronic device that everyone here is using on this thread?

We can't research every ingredient in every product we use.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The solution to this problem you present is simple, but not easy to achieve. The problem, actually, isn't with the water itself. It is with the simple fact that the human metabolism does not take kindly to the drinking of salt water. So the solution (don't mind the pun) is to change the requirements of the human body. Today's exciting work in DNA, gene therapy and the big pharms should have a quick solution (sorry) for this stated problem. And that solution (damn!) would be to make humans drink salt water. One of two things would happen. Either humans would adapt or something worse would take precedent. Either way the situation would resolve itself in fairly short order without totally re-engineering the basic form of water as we know it.
edit on 19-3-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join