It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump 1, free trade 0: G20 drops pledge to fight protectionism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The world's biggest economies have dropped a long-standing public endorsement of free trade at their first meeting with the Trump administration. Finance ministers and central bank governors from the G-20 group of leading economies, including the U.S., China, Mexico, Germany and India, held two days of tough talking in the German town of Baden-Baden. The formal statement issued after the meeting contained only a bland reference to "working to strengthen the contribution of trade to our economies." Conspicuous by its absence was the phrase "we will resist all forms of protectionism" that was contained in the communique from the last meeting of the group in China, July 2016.

Score a win for the Trump administration, despite CNNs comical headline, as other top economies around the world fall into line with a new way of thinking about trade. Trump's way.
Another big win and still only 60 days in.

...But the writing has been on the wall for a while. President Trump has already pulled the U.S. out of one vast trade deal in the Pacific, promised to renegotiate the NAFTA agreement with Canada and Mexico, and threatened to slap tariffs or taxes on imports to protect American jobs.

He believes the rules of global trade have been stacked against America, and its workers. The divisions between the U.S. and other major powers over trade were on display again Friday, when Trump hosted German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the White House. "The U.S. has been treated very unfairly over the years and that's going to stop," he said at a news conference. "Free trade has led to a lot of bad things happening... NAFTA has been a disaster for the United States, a disaster for our companies, but particularly for the workers."

Most importantly:

The threat of new protectionist policies and border taxes from the White House have created headaches for countries that rely on America for trade. The U.S. imports about $2.7 trillion in goods and services annually, with half coming from G20 members China, Canada, Mexico, Japan and Germany.

The rest of the world need America more than America needs them and for some reason that card has not been played for years in negotiations.
That seems to be ending.

money.cnn.com...

edit on 18/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The rest of the world need America more than America needs them and for some reason that card has not been played for years in negotiations. That seems to be ending.

America needs the rest of the world too. US manufacturing is supplying the world with all kinds of things. US agriculture is export dependent.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
a reply to: UKTruth

The rest of the world need America more than America needs them and for some reason that card has not been played for years in negotiations. That seems to be ending.

America needs the rest of the world too. US manufacturing is supplying the world with all kinds of things. US agriculture is export dependent.

I agree, but in a game of chicken, America has the bigger truck.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
And more win--from The Telegraph: G20 leaders roll back commitment to free trade and climate change following US pressure

I take that as a sign that they KNOW without a stacked deck, that neither bogus trade deals nor climate change will fly as it's being sold. No carbon credits just yet Globalists.

edit on 18-3-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
And more win--from The Telegraph: G20 leaders roll back commitment to free trade and climate change following US pressure

I take that as a sign that they KNOW without a stacked deck, that besides trade that climate change won't fly as it's being sold. No carbon credits just yet Globalists.

Ah, I missed the climate change concessions. Runs piling up

ETA: ..and there is ALSO this..

But the G20 leaders did agree to stabilise the foreign exchange and stop competitive currency devaluation.

edit on 18/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Do you know how I found out about the whole carbon credits? "Home Improvement" when Jonathan Taylor Thomas was doing an interview for his Tim Allen's boss, he discovered that corporations get away with emitting so much pollution based off some weird pollution credits biz. I still don't quite have it down.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sounds like good news. The climate change agenda is being lowered, I guess without the US contributing to the elite scam, they might as well just wrap it up and put it away for a while.

We are messing up our ecosystem, but the thing is that the climate change scam does nothing to deal with the problem and only focuses on the economic increase promoted by the scam. It is an economic promotion to sell more expensive technology. The right way to fix the problem, eliminating death dating and building things to last longer, is not even addressed. Solar panels need to be replaced in about twelve years. A lot of ecological destruction is caused in making them. It seems all of the solutions are to boost the economy, not fix the mess we are creating.
edit on 18-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: The GUT

Do you know how I found out about the whole carbon credits? "Home Improvement" when Jonathan Taylor Thomas was doing an interview for his Tim Allen's boss, he discovered that corporations get away with emitting so much pollution based off some weird pollution credits biz. I still don't quite have it down.

Cap and trade. Say we are all allowed to throw out 10 bags of garbage a week. I only throw out 6 so I have 4 'credits' to sell to someone who wants to dump 14 a week.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Well I'll be damned.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: D8Tee

Well I'll be damned.

No Sir, you were saved from damnation on November 8th.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Sounds like good news. The climate change agenda is being lowered, I guess without the US contributing to the elite scam, they might as well just wrap it up and put it away for a while.
I know eh ...I think I will go out and hug a tree to celebrate

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Watch a pine spider doesn't fall on you when you hug the tree, they get really big. I have seen a really big female wolf spider too. I killed that so the wife wouldn't make me kill all the wolf spiders around the house if she saw it.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Pour a quart of oil in the river to make it official.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Pour a quart of oil in the river to make it official.

A Canadian Quart has more volume than an American quart.

Now what?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

A Canadian Quart has more volume than an American quart. Now what?
We use the liter up here now so its about the same size .

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

A Canadian Quart has more volume than an American quart. Now what?
We use the liter up here now so its about the same size .

I was thinking of the old Imperial System.

We still need a system to mitigate the difference to balance out the risk.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I was thinking of the old Imperial System.
We still use the old quarts in the Sugar woods ....maple syrup mmmmmm

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle
Yes, we do. But we need to benefit each other without the US being taken advantage of.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Yes, we do. But we need to benefit each other without the US being taken advantage of.

Not being taken advantage of. The US is now being beaten at a game it won for years at other nations expenses..
Wernt complaing when you where winning.. Stop whining now..

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Not being taken advantage of. The US is now being beaten at a game it won for years at other nations expenses..
Wernt complaing when you where winning.. Stop whining now..

I don't think there is any whining, just action. The US has always had the power to set the agenda but has chosen not to for many years. That looks to be changing, with Trump deciding it's time for America to lead once again. Ironically, there is nothing the rest of the world can do about it except fall in line, but there is something that those inside America who do not want their country to lead can do. That will be be the biggest battle.
edit on 19/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join