It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple CEO Tim Cook Defends Globalization in China Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Cook is in favor of globalization. Of course as CEO of apple he loves using 3rd world communist labor. Also there is very little oversight to treatment of workers and workers rights are non existent.

Cook is defending globalization, the company he is CEO of is apple and they are facing pressure to bring the production of the products back to the US.

BEIJING — Apple Inc.’s Chief Executive Tim Cook defended globalization in a rare public speech in China, as his company faces political pressure in the U.S. to bring back factories.
www.wsj.com...-toggle-SB126470774898235946934045830 29671032141416

Cook also said globalization is great for the world (I disagree), but the gains are not evenly distributed within the countries. This coming from a company with billions of $ in cash.

Mr. Cook said in his hourlong session that globalization “in general is great for the world,” but gains aren’t evenly distributed within countries. While he said this was a problem, he cautioned against countries retreating from globalization as a response.

Cook feels that countries that isolate themselves are making a decision that is bad for their people. I think Apple is happy to use 3rd world labor pools that they can exploit with little to no oversight. Remember they put nets up to keep people that were committing suicide form dying. This was on Apple's chinese contractors buildings.

“I think the worst thing would be to—because it didn’t help everyone—is to say it’s bad and do less of that,” said Mr. Cook. “I think the reality is you can see that countries in the world…that isolate themselves, it’s not good for their people.”

U.S. President Donald Trump has made American manufacturing revival a key goal and has called on Apple to bring back iPhone production. That has raised concerns in China, the main manufacturing base for Apple and many other global companies.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

And what does Mr. Cook suggest we do about the loss of jobs in America, what do you do with all the unemployed "useless eaters" that Globalization creates? I fundamentally oppose the UN Globalist agenda because it is the harbinger of a Totalitarian world government.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hmm, not surprising he would say it being where his crap is made, globalisation is good for a lot of the world..just not North America.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Globalism is the biggest destructive force to the individual the world has ever seen.
At least with slavery we could see the chains!
We knew we were bonded and branded...
Globalism stands to turn the entire planet into a slave labor camp. Consolidating the power of the entire world down to an even smaller group of individuals. If you think the power will be distributed equally between all umpteen-billion people then you are a fool.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WilliamtheResolute

I agree with that.

Mr. cook is in favor of slavery. This is what the 3rd world labor pools or all about. And the only reason he is for it is for profit. If smashing baby squirrels under steel toed boots were profitable, be would be pro that too.

I would like cook to live in the super fun barrack style living areas the workers get to.

edit on 18-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Brutally true. thank you

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
He loves using China's slave labor so much maybe he should go live there. Why should he enjoy all of the perk of being American if he doesn't want to contribute anything back to this country.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Why should he move? America was literally built on cheap and/or free labor from slaves, indentured servants, and sharecroppers. And our agriculture industry still relies on cheap labor, including labor from poorly paid illegal immigrants and literal prison labor. So if anything, Cook is staying true to the actual economic principles that created this country and its infrastructure.

Also, it's not like the majority of people here support workers unions or the push for major improvements to minimum wages. I've been supporting the ("Fight for 15") & yet voters consistently back politicians who are against raising the wages of other Americans. So why should we believe they'd care about the wages for Chinese workers? And American consumers still willingly purchase products made from that outsourced labor, even after knowing about it for years.

And for the record, he contributes to both Republicans and Democrats (HERE). In their world, that does count as "contributing to the country".

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I'm not sure how much detail I want to go into, but globalization itself isn't a bad thing. It's based around the idea that every area should specialize in what it's the most efficient at doing. For example, it wouldn't make sense to try to grow tropical fruit on a large scale in an Arctic climate, when those same tropical fruit can be grown in a Tropical environment cheaper, more productively, and with less human oversight.

The problem is that people are greedy, so they exploit this concept to the extreme. Globalization and fair wages don't have to be opposing concepts. They're only opposing forces when greed comes into play, because the greedy individuals and companies keep the majority of the profits generated instead of passing those profits on to the workers and communities involved.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Don't be so naïve, the true goal of Globalization is to destroy a countries borders, language and culture. It is a lot easier to control the population when there is no nationalist pride or traditions. I think the Globalist corporate interests would be just fine with a mongrel race work force.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WilliamtheResolute

Globalization is an economic concept based on what I mentioned & the OP is about economics. You're talking about something else entirely, which is social & political in nature.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
?a reply to: enlightenedservant

Soooooo.....Globalization is about economic policy? Please explain how there is a difference in the end result? The economic concept is base on the destruction of a nations culture and a Socialization of the proletariat.

top topics

join