It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says 'strategic patience' on NK is over

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
That little fat guy saw what happened to Sadam. Kim is a nut job and he won't go down without taking as many people as he can with him.

NK is no Iraq and if war breaks out you're talking millions dead. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place in this situation.

I'm assuming he'll launch chemical weapons at the south and Japan. This will be no easy fight and I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

China will do what ever possible to help the north. The last thing China wants is a free unified Korea.

Or a nuke war on their border.

That's where it will end up if kim sets one off.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The past administrations let Kim do what he wanted to do. He is a dangerous person, I do not know why they let him get away with causing chaos in that region. China can not control him either, he is a little off. Why can't someone get rid of him and find someone better to take his place. I think this is up to China myself, but China doesn't want to get involved with it.

Everyone thinks Kim is a little nuts, I know he has some legitimate concerns, but thinking he can destroy the US is crazy. I do not think we should hurt all his people, they are just misled. A slow transition of power to a more stable government would be better. If we used strategic tactical nuclear weapons to level his palace and destroy the bunkers there would not be much radiation to hurt the people. Can't his own military lock him up so we do not have to do this kind of stuff?

I sure wouldn't want to be neighbors with Kim. I would wind up calling the cops on him if he was out shooting and bullets were hitting my house or endangering the family. Who are the cops on this?.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I think this story, in conjunction with this administration’s reconsideration of re-arming the ROKs with nukes, has lots of heads raising and lots of darting glances at one another. I could probably shed more light, but I don't want to bore people to death.

Let the tap run brother, I'd like to take a sip and see more of the light.
Almost went to Korea myself with 1st CAV DIV two years ago, didn't go, opted to hit my ETS instead.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't know if it was clearly mentioned in the thread yet, but the issue between NK and the U.S. never really ended.

...That would explain the nonsensical allocation of $53 billion to a supposedly depleted military that isn't really all that depleted...

...And how war always gets economies raging along like, like, like, like...

We'll all have jobs fighting or making war materiel for the war effort.

Nothin' like a fight to watch and a paycheck to blow...

AWeSOME!!.

Not.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Hmmmmm this is maybe a perfect solution to Communist North Korea

edit on 3/18/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Korea:

Korea is a country with a long history, at one time, being a part of China, then its own country. It has been invaded and at one time a unified country, that did not last too long, as it was invaded again by the Japanese during World War II, only like so many other countries divided or split up after that war between the Soviet Union and the United States.
What started as a civil war, ended up being the partition and Korean conflict, where ultimately it was the first time that China got involved in Korea, on the side of the north, offering supplies and military support, pushing back against the South and UN forces. The conflict never ended, rather it was an armistice that stopped the killing and shooting, and allowing the people to recover and come to terms with 2 new countries.
Anything that usually deals with South Korea, usually has the US fingers in it, while the same could be said about North Korea, as China is its ally, they support North Korea in an economic and with military aid.

For years, while the US has built up and helped the South prosper, the north has been in isolation and dealing with very few. China has been working with North Korea, supplying them heavily, even lending them money, but much is not given to the people rather it is kept by the upper echelon of the North in the hands of the few.

The north views the military exercises that the south does as a provocation and a build up to war. In their eyes, the conflict never ended, and that this was just a farce on the part of the south and those who supported the south in the conflict.

China is trying, in its own way to balance its national interest, along with that of making peace. It probably can pull back on North Korea, however, only if it has the breathing and maneuvering room it needs to do such. China probably does not like that there is no peace on the Korean peninsula, nor does it like that North Korea has nuclear weapons, viewing such as being a danger to its own security. With tensions between the North and South, means that it has to put part of its military assets there to figure out what all is going on, and how best to rein in North Korea.

There are several questions that should be asked and we should get answers to: Is it wise to escalate tensions in that part of the world, where the stakes are far greater and deadlier?

Do we as a country want to go into another cold war? Is the US prepared to go into another armed conflict and all that goes along with it? Is this really worth it?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Any attack on North Korea by the U.S. would likely result in the almost complete destruction of South Korea.

I think you are seriously misinformed. If the United States attacked North Korea, the North would be paralyzed. They'd never get their act together. The ROKs could invade and pacify the peninsula in no time. If the North Koreans were able to mount any kind of resistance at all, there might be some minor damage done up along the DMZ on the southern side.

The problem is with how the Chinese would respond. And they would. This is why the Chinese are so very unhappy with THAAD and other 'defensive' technologies the US has (and wishes to have) forward deployed on the Korean Peninsula.

Big (big) differences in strategic and tactical planning. Most of what the North has are eggs-in-one-basket.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx
blow em up

Just as long as you go over and do it personally big man.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I sense a fog bank rolling in.

Usa about to warm up her big light again.

Its possible NK will have problems of the 511 kind.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: wantsome

Doubt it. The gulf war and even Iraq to some degree has chemical weapons.

You seriously underestimate the US military. Precision strikes will immediately alleviate some serious dangers and I'm pretty sure US intelligence has been keeping profiles on areas of interest.

I will admit, this won't be easy and there is the back lash from China. As the above post summed up, china would be forced to toe their borders, but won't intervene as they know it would be bad business for them.
I know full well what the US is capable of. I remember the first gulf war and what we did to Iraq. I'm not going to speculate on what if's. All I know is NK has a million man army and I highly doubt they'll be a pushover.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i think something has to be done with nk,, with going to war and possible invading shouldnt be an option.. their nukes cant hit the US, but they can hit south and japan... and if war happened and kim knew he was about to lose power.. he would launch at japan, south and even the north.. i bet he would destroy his own country than lose power.. that would be millions of lives gone.... japan, south, norths, and american boots on the ground
edit on 18-3-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Dont worry about north koreas nukes. Theyll be annialated (ha! Get it!) within the first pre emptive strike. Like literally gone in a flash of bright light. A war with nk will be a mostly conventional one. We have something that will. Bring light to their country. A lot of light.
edit on 18-3-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Nuking NK is NOT an option, at ALL: the USA would have so many incoming nukes from all sides (China, Russia, Pakistan and even possible India) it wouldn't be worth it.

MOAB would be the biggest size used (or it's current equivalent) I'd rather see a drone strike if We (the USA) have to strike first.

If China cannot reign in the rabid dog then we should withhold debt payments to China until they do so one way or another.

(or best case scenario, wait until LA/Hollywood get nukes and just applaud) Then return in kind, we would be the "Victim" and justified!

This will be bad but it's due to past mistakes, not current ones.

<< 1   >>

join