It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says 'strategic patience' on NK is over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I remember back in the early 70s and the military intelligence briefings saying that a reunification between the two Korea's was inevitable in a very near future.. Why they ever call it an intelligence briefing instead of something else is beyond me especially with what we have seen over the last 50 years with them basically getting many things we hear totally and absolutely wrong..With all the money siphoned off by NSA and the CIA we should know without a doubt when anyone anywhere even passes gas but alas maybe they are to busy looking in all the wrong places ?

Anyway as of now it looks like the administration has finally said enough is enough.. The fly in the ointment is of course China which has decided to punish S. Korea by screwing with their trade deals because of the US supplied S.Korea's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system being put in place.. Stay tuned as the South China Sea issue and Korea are just getting a tad bit warmer IMO.

www.koreaherald.com...

Tillerson says military option is on the table, calls China’s THAAD retaliation ‘inappropriate, troubling’

abcnews.go.com...

Rex Tillerson: Pre-emptive military action against North Korea is an option.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says pre-emptive military action against North Korea is possible "if they elevate the threat of their weapons program to a level that we believe requires action."

"All of the options are on the table," Tillerson said when asked at a press conference Friday with South Korean foreign minister Yun Byung-se in Seoul whether he would rule out military conflict against North Korea.

www.bloomberg.com...

“They have been ‘playing’ the United States for years,” Trump said. “China has done little to help!”

Tillerson’s remarks were some of the most forceful yet from the Trump administration and signaled the U.S. was closing the door on a more conciliatory approach as it looks to curtail Kim Jong Un’s nuclear and ballistic-missile programs. With the range of North Korea’s missiles getting closer to North America, Tillerson is seeking a new approach as part of a trip to Japan, South Korea and China.

“Let me be very clear: this policy of strategic patience has ended,” Tillerson said. “All options are on the table. North Korea must understand that the only path to a secure, economically prosperous future is to abandon its development of nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, and other weapons of mass destruction.”

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
blow em up

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I remember back in the early 70s and the military intelligence briefings saying that a reunification between the two Korea's was inevitable in a very near future.. Why they ever call it an intelligence briefing instead of something else is beyond me especially with what we have seen over the last 50 years with them basically getting many things we hear totally and absolutely wrong..With all the money siphoned off by NSA and the CIA we should know without a doubt when anyone anywhere even passes gas but alas maybe they are to busy looking in all the wrong places ?

Anyway as of now it looks like the administration has finally said enough is enough.. The fly in the ointment is of course China which has decided to punish S. Korea by screwing with their trade deals because of the US supplied S.Korea's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system being put in place.. Stay tuned as the South China Sea issue and Korea are just getting a tad bit warmer IMO.

www.koreaherald.com...

Tillerson says military option is on the table, calls China’s THAAD retaliation ‘inappropriate, troubling’

abcnews.go.com...

Rex Tillerson: Pre-emptive military action against North Korea is an option.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says pre-emptive military action against North Korea is possible "if they elevate the threat of their weapons program to a level that we believe requires action."

"All of the options are on the table," Tillerson said when asked at a press conference Friday with South Korean foreign minister Yun Byung-se in Seoul whether he would rule out military conflict against North Korea.

www.bloomberg.com...

“They have been ‘playing’ the United States for years,” Trump said. “China has done little to help!”

Tillerson’s remarks were some of the most forceful yet from the Trump administration and signaled the U.S. was closing the door on a more conciliatory approach as it looks to curtail Kim Jong Un’s nuclear and ballistic-missile programs. With the range of North Korea’s missiles getting closer to North America, Tillerson is seeking a new approach as part of a trip to Japan, South Korea and China.

“Let me be very clear: this policy of strategic patience has ended,” Tillerson said. “All options are on the table. North Korea must understand that the only path to a secure, economically prosperous future is to abandon its development of nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, and other weapons of mass destruction.”

Not much to add to this but you can be sure if N.K had some natural resource they would have been put out on their ass decades ago..

I wonder what the situation would be now Duterte (president of the Philippines) has kicked all US military out of the country and as such the US are longer able to use the location as a base which would have been the obvious choice if a campaign was to be launched in the region.

RA

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I reckon Kim Jong will be answering this with some more missile launches, or a nuclear test.

There's gotta be a better way to resolve this than all out war, whats Dennis Rodman have to say about?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

If the US has secured a 100% deterrent against a retaliation against South Korea, do it.

Problem is, there isn't a feasible plan of action at the moment.

Our best option is to keep pressuring China in the South China Sea, and offer them a deal they can't refuse. They invade NK and assume power, and we back off of their islands.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I wonder what the situation would be now Duterte (president of the Philippines) has kicked all US military out of the country and as such the US are longer able to use the location as a base which would have been the obvious choice if a campaign was to be launched in the region.

You realise there is a South Korea? South Korea has a strong US military presence, Camp Stanley is one of the military bases run by the United States of America in South Korea.

Japan also has Camp Zama, Fort Buckner and Tori stations.

I think there's alot of bases to launch a campaign from.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

If the US has secured a 100% deterrent against a retaliation against South Korea, do it.

Our best option is to keep pressuring China in the South China Sea, and offer them a deal they can't refuse. They invade NK and assume power, and we back off of their islands.

That might have been a great plan all along ! But I kind of doubt it.. Everything seems to reactionary instead of a 10,50,100, or even a yearly plan..

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Looks Like a Job For Team America , World Police !

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Calculations have been done that suggested well over 10,000 artillery rounds and potentially 4,000 long-range artillery rounds could be fired at Seoul per minute.

They're gonna get some rounds off if the States attacks them, be lots of dead bodies.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The United States government will never do anything to North Korea that China doesn't give permission for our government to do. We will hold our drills, we will counter their rhetoric. We will continue to bow to China in regard to North Korea.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Calculations have been done that suggested well over 10,000 artillery rounds and potentially 4,000 long-range artillery rounds could be fired at Seoul per minute.

They're gonna get some rounds off if the States attacks them, be lots of dead bodies.

Yep and I have seen/heard figures even higher...Where is Snarl when you need him... He was in Korea until last year and was positioned to know about such stuff..

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

There's gotta be a better way to resolve this than all out war, whats Dennis Rodman have to say about?

This wouldn't be all out war. A few precision strikes is all it would take. The aftermath is what I'd be worried about most though. China wouldn't be happy at all but I'd be more afraid of CNN and its "anonymous sourced" headlines. They're more likely to turn any kind of military action into something to call for Trump's impeachment.

China: the enemy of my enemy is my best friend. BFF CNN.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Lol, get real kid.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
That little fat guy saw what happened to Sadam. Kim is a nut job and he won't go down without taking as many people as he can with him.

NK is no Iraq and if war breaks out you're talking millions dead. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place in this situation.

I'm assuming he'll launch chemical weapons at the south and Japan. This will be no easy fight and I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

China will do what ever possible to help the north. The last thing China wants is a free unified Korea.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
That little fat guy saw what happened to Sadam.

Unfortunately, I don't think the little fat guy is that smart.

originally posted by: wantsome
China will do what ever possible to help the north. The last thing China wants is a free unified Korea.

Come to think of it, it would probably be in China's interest for a unification (in the style of the south). if that were to happen, the reason for US military presence diminishes and China could muscle in to be the premiere trading partner.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Doubt it. The gulf war and even Iraq to some degree has chemical weapons.

You seriously underestimate the US military. Precision strikes will immediately alleviate some serious dangers and I'm pretty sure US intelligence has been keeping profiles on areas of interest.

I will admit, this won't be easy and there is the back lash from China. As the above post summed up, china would be forced to toe their borders, but won't intervene as they know it would be bad business for them.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Yep and I have seen/heard figures even higher...Where is Snarl when you need him... He was in Korea until last year and was positioned to know about such stuff..

Back 30 years ago, I used to help write the Intelligence reports on North Korea’s capabilities. I’ve been in the right circles to hear things right up to last year. Hearing, professional speculation, and knowing are three different things. I don’t think even North Korea knows what their capabilities are at any given time.

Artillery has long been referred to as The King of Battle. I got blown up pretty good in an artillery barrage. I promise … it is an enduring terror for me … and probably less than 30 shells were fired my way.

Back in the day we had a first-strike policy on the North. If they brought X amount of capability forward to firing positions we (the ROKs mostly) would respond with tactical nukes from our own conventional artillery.

The ROKs gave our nukes back to us in the 80s and they were rewarded with the ’86 Asian Games and the ’88 Olympics (events which transformed the ROK from a military dictatorship into a rising star amongst 1st world countries). You would really have had to have been there to see it, to understand what I’m trying to tell you.

I was still in and out of uniform back then. The Intel estimates were exceptionally grim in the early 90s. So, 25 years back, was probably the most worrisome time for us Soldier-boys. Back then (and this is where my ‘professional speculation’ peters out) North Korea could lift an entire grid square (1 square kilometer) off the Earth every three to five seconds. It was believed they could sustain this rate of destruction for as much as 10 minutes. I think I’m remembering that pretty accurately. That might be on the low-side sustainment wise.

I think this story, in conjunction with this administration’s reconsideration of re-arming the ROKs with nukes, has lots of heads raising and lots of darting glances at one another. I could probably shed more light, but I don't want to bore people to death.

edit on 1832017 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The effective way of dealing with North Korea is by co-ordination with China.
That's another reason why the current friction with China is not sound poilcy.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Back 30 years ago, I used to help write the Intelligence reports on North Korea’s capabilities. I’ve been in the right circles to hear things right up to last year. Hearing, professional speculation, and knowing are three different things. I don’t think even North Korea knows what their capabilities are at any given time.

Artillery has long been referred to as The King of Battle. I got blown up pretty good in an artillery barrage. I promise … it is an enduring terror for me … and probably less than 30 shells were fired my way.

Back in the day we had a first-strike policy on the North. If they brought X amount of capability forward to firing positions we (the ROKs mostly) would respond with tactical nukes from our own conventional artillery.

The ROKs gave our nukes back to us in the 80s and they were rewarded with the ’86 Asian Games and the ’88 Olympics (events which transformed the ROK from a military dictatorship into a rising star amongst 1st world countries). You would really have had to have been there to see it, to understand what I’m trying to tell you.

I was still in and out of uniform back then. The Intel estimates were exceptionally grim in the early 90s. So, 25 years back, was probably the most worrisome time for us Soldier-boys. Back then (and this is where my ‘professional speculation’ peters out) North Korea could lift an entire grid square (1 square kilometer) off the Earth every three to five seconds. It was believed they could sustain this rate of destruction for as much as 10 minutes. I think I’m remembering that pretty accurately. That might be on the low-side sustainment wise.

I think this story, in conjunction with this administration’s reconsideration of re-arming the ROKs with nukes, has lots of heads raising and lots of darting glances at one another. I could probably shed more light, but I don't want to bore people to death.

Not boring me for sure !! Geez to move that much dirt in downtown Soul every few seconds is something I hope we both never see. Thanks for posting Snarl

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Any attack on North Korea by the U.S. would likely result in the almost complete destruction of South Korea.

More idiocy that could cost the lives of millions of innocent people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join