It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pest removal--homemade and alternative options

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Before you get mad at me for not researching this topic, I did, I tried. I have not been able to find a definite answer.

The question: can borax be used as a homemade pesticide?

My online research mostly describes the differences between borax and boric acid.

Every now and then I will find a blog or forum where people comment on their success with using borax.

I have also found several articles claiming it's useless. These pages, not surprisingly, end with a recommendation for professional services (not going to mention the pest control names involved.) So it's really hard to see these as unbiased sources.

My personal experience: A few years ago, I saw some silverfish in the bathroom for the first time. Heard about using borax on the critters. I spread a few lines in the corners where I was seeing them. Never saw them again.

Now I'm living in a different apartment and I have millipedes. Not a lot. I will only see a couple here or there through the spring/ summer. I tried the borax thing in the spots where I think they're creeping in. Not sure how effective it was.

Have you tried this? Please share if you've ever tried alternative options for pest removal, and whether or not it was effective.

Please share if you have any neat tricks or homemade solutions

edit on 17-3-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

As far as repellant, try tasting a few grains of Borax placed on the tongue. It is the foulest tasting stuff ever. Comes from dry lake beds like Death Valley. Ever hear of Indians burying men up to their necks and packing their mouths with salt?

They used borax.

So you 'administered the salt' to the silverfish, I imagine they took one taste of that stuff and fled.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I was just reading that borax is good to use around Cole crops in the garden. Slugs hate it.

I've used black pepper to keep sugar ants away from my front door. Works great.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Get Diatomaceous Earth. There are different grades. Food, pool, pest. Pest isn't pure. There are respiratory concerns with pets etc for the different grades.

And if you really want to be an evil SOB you can mix it with the boric acid.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
My neighbors use it for ants ....they swear by it ! I am going to try it .

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Bay leaves:

Like boric acid, bay leaves are the kinder, gentler (at least to humans) and more natural way of keeping insects at bay. Pun intended. But they don't just banish roaches.

Bay leaves also keep weevils out of your flour, cornmeal, Bisquick and other cupboard products, and they deter ants, silverfish and a whole horde of other insects that are legion in the swampy Bayou City. Unlike insecticides, they're -- obviously -- totally safe to keep around food, and they cost a lot less money.

Source
Leave them in and around cupboards for example to help keep the insects out.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You can always catch the little critters and put them outside, far away from the house.

It can take a bit of time but it's hugely effective and no messy remains to clear up afterwards.

I like dreaming awake's solution too. Between rounding up a few little offenders and strewing some bay leaves you should arrive at a result that doesn't harm anybody.
edit on 18-3-2017 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

It works. Don't buy the commercial brands of insecticides that are Borax in them. Hey! That's one proof that they work! But buy the cheap, simple laundry version. Also buy a "turkey baster" to use to spray a light powder around where you want. The pellets didn't work so good for me as does the powder. For books that silverfish love to inhabit and chew on, put them into a box, sprinkle some Borax power among them, close or tape the box and let it set for a spell.

Maybe some critters some places have grown immune to it. But it is probably about as cheap and safe as any remedy you can easily obtain. ...'Don't know about pet safety.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

A dear friend of mine who had worked in pest control advised us to put borax in the walls and under the cabinets when we were building.

We did and in 24 years we've never had a roach infestation. We've never had a problem with silverfish either.

We do have ant infestations from time to time. I've yet to find any single remedy for them. Diatomaceous Earth works wonderfully well on some of them, others---they trudge through it apparently....cinnamon seems to repel some...others not so much. Hadn't heard of the the bay leaves but I'm all for trying new stuff.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have successfully gotten rid of ants with food grade diatomaceous earth.

I also put some in my cats food. It makes them healthier- they are able to move around and jump easier than before they were getting it.

Sal

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You think if I bury a milipede and pack its mouth the others will get the hint and stay away?

Here there be Borax.

edit on 18-3-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Have you seen the movie NAKED LUNCH. It's vaguely about pest control

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I put borax in my cleaning water and it DOES work to repel bugs of all kinds, I swear by it. I found the benefits of doing that accidentally, I started out just wanting to boost my cleaning power but the results became pretty evident. In an apartment building that had an infestation of roaches mine was the only apartment not overrun, and I was not the cleanest resident in the building. I have used it for many years and have looked into the reasons behind the success. Borax works a lot like diatomaceous earth does in that it's like slivers of glass on their protective hard shells. They end up dehydrated and die. I put it in my cleaning water. It does not completely dissolve and leaves behind enough of the particles to cause harm to their shells. I ha e also gotten creative and made my own mixture of borax, baking soda and carpet fresh to sprinkle on my carpets and around my house. I feel confident using it around my pets and grandchildren. I consider borax to be a must have.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gypsycat

Aw maybe that'll help. Mixing with water and putting it in a spray bottle.

I've just been lining corners and cracks with it. It seems to help. Have seen fewer milipedes, fewer spiders, and fewer sow bugs etc.

Maybe need to dissolve it a little like you said.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

You think if I bury a milipede and pack its mouth the others will get the hint and stay away?

Here there be Borax.

Kind of like a scarecrowmilipede thing? Ever hear of old wives tales where they burn the corpses of animals and spread their ashes around to deter the other deer, rabbits, raccoons from eating the garden? The Nazis left clothing strewn over electric wire so people in their 'work camps' wouldn't try and climb the wire...

One place I lived we took roaches and staked their asses with toothpicks like Vladimir The Impaler... just kidding.

Link to amazon book pages

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I think your best bet might be to make up a bucket of cleaning water. I normally put a little borax in first and then a little of the hottest water, I swish it around to dissolve as much a possible, outspent dissolve completely. Then I add cleaning solution and more water. Then wipe down the areas where you are having problems. This will leave an invisible layer of the borax on the surfaces you wipe down. I am not too sure how well a spray bottle will work, there is a chance that since it does not dissolve completely, you will clog the spray bottle up. I do sometimes sprinkle some of the dry powder in places that I feel need extra protection. Good luck

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Diatomaceous earth- Just be careful and make sure to ventilate when using it as it can get everywhere especially yours, family and pets lungs/nasal passage to dry them out.

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
Have you seen the movie NAKED LUNCH. It's vaguely about pest control

Never though of it like that.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

You are one macabre ATS member

new topics

top topics

join