It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s EPA Sending $100 Million to Michigan for Flint Water Relief

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Sure. It would have made a lot of sense to remove grants for lead contaminated drinking water.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: mOjOm

Sort of like the way Spicer says, "Well, Fox News said the British wiretapped Trump. Just repeating what Fox News said. Not my fault."

That's correct. The terrorist network (CNN) barely referenced the fact that Spicer was referencing something he'd heard/read a Fox contributor (Nepolitano) say.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I wonder if the EPA could have given some emergency money at the time?

This article from last year was alarming.... looks like they had the power to act better

E.P.A. Waited Too Long to Warn of Flint Water Danger, Report Says

In a pointed rebuke to the Environmental Protection Agency, an internal watchdog concluded on Thursday that the agency should have acted more swiftly to warn residents of Flint, Mich., that their water was contaminated with lead.

The report, issued by Arthur A. Elkins Jr., the inspector general for the E.P.A., blamed the federal government for inaction in Flint, echoing the sentiments of many Republicans who have said for more than a year that the agency failed in its oversight role.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yes. The White House repeating an unsourced, unsubstantiated claim. Wonderful.

I thought that was bad.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I thought that was bad.

Sometimes you have to do that when you're grasping at straws and looking for a life line, when none can be found.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: FamCore

Nestle donated water too, amongst others.

Funny you bring up Nestle.
They seem to have some interesting connections to all this.

In 2007, Brabeck(Nestle CEO) received a “Black Planet Award” which is an award given to people who contribute to the destruction of the planet. Brabeck, through Nestlé, was accused of proliferating contaminated baby food, monopolizing water resources, and tolerating child labor.

Source

Nestle Waters North America's plans to increase its Michigan groundwater withdrawal by more than 2 1/2 times would unravel an accord reached with environmentalists seven years ago that was aimed at protecting the water table and wildlife. Nestlé announced a $36-million expansion at its Ice Mountain bottling operations in Stanwood, in Mecosta County, on Oct. 31. The addition of two water-bottling lines — the first to begin operation next spring; the next opening by 2018 — is expected to add 20 jobs to the plant, which employs more than 250 people.

When I first heard about Flint Michigan my first thought was Nestle and the obscene amount of groundwater they are pumping out of there.

“Nestlé Chairman: Water Not a Right, Should Be Given a ‘Market Value’ and Privatized.”

Sooo about that "donated" water...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

a reply to: xuenchen

Sure. It passed the Senate in May.

It would have made a ton of sense for the House to kill it. Right? You know the law is not only about Flint, right?

And it didn't get passed by the House until December.

I think Trump's influence may have played a big part.

Trump brought national attention to the problem back in September. He kept the drumbeat going strong...influencing congress and becoming the national voice for the forgotten men and women of this country.

He continues to fight for the jobs and safety of the citizens of Flint, the citizens of Michigan,...and the citizens of the grand old U.S. of A.

Hillary basically ignored Michigan.

In November, the people of Michigan used their votes to show which candidate and which political party they trust to make their lives better.

link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Obama decides to do something ?

The president does not make laws. He signs them (or not) after Congress passes them.

So , the President cant influence Congress ?
Isnt that the reason the ACA got passed as quick and using the method that got it passed ?
Hmm

link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I thought that was bad.

Sometimes you have to do that when you're grasping at straws and looking for a life line, when none can be found.

And when you say "lifeline" you mean "credibility." Right?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yes. Clinton ignored Michigan. One of her mistakes. Trump's appeal to Michigan was not what he said in Flint. It was that he was going to bring all the jobs back.

This law followed the usual progression of bill to law and the lead provision is one of very many which were included in it. Trump had nothing to do with it. Nothing.
edit on 3/17/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Phage

The law was passed and signed while Trump was President-Elect.

Perhaps that was the point.

A little influence from Campaign statements goes a long way when somebody wins an election.

You keep trying to spin. Spin again.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Obama? The 114th Congress? No, not so much.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Trump fulfills another campaign promise.

This is NOT something Trump did.

Well at least he didn't criticize it or cancel it.

Pretty much my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Obama against the 114th Congress? No, not so much.

Why ?
There still is this thing called Executive Orders.

Wait , a President doesnt even need that . What about a declaration of emergency ? Which it was.

Executive orders are orders issued by United States Presidents and directed towards officers and agencies of the Federal government of the United States. Executive orders have the full force of law, based on the authority derived from statute or the Constitution itself.

Source
edit on 3/17/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Why ?
There still is this thing called Executive Orders.
You were asking about the president influencing congress, weren't you?

What about a declaration of emergency ?

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

And do you have any sharper comments about the Flint crisis finally being addressed ?

Trump was always in favor helping.

The past administrations failed to act quickly as I remember.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

a reply to: mOjOm

Sort of like the way Spicer says, "Well, Fox News said the British wiretapped Trump. Just repeating what Fox News said. Not my fault."

Yeah, as a Brit I've got to say this pissed me off today!

No government in the world takes their lead from the media and spouts it as fact in the way Trump and co did.

Then to say "Oh well, that's what Fox said!"

Amateur hour in the white house.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I thought that was bad.

Ok, now this is insane, you are advocating unsubstantiated claims be no only admissible, but unuestioning of their integrity.

This is what truly shows Trump supporters in their truest light.

There is no defence for this, how would you feel if us Brits decided the "special relationship " is over off the back of this?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Right.
obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...

So , everyone sent water. Good. But nothing done to repair the situation .
Again , I see only action in May 2016 which was nearly 2 years afterwards . In your own source

A federal state of emergency was declared in January 2016 and Flint residents were instructed to use only bottle or filtered water for drinking and bathing.

Really ?

Source

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

But nothing done to repair the situation.

The president cannot designate new federal funding for city or state infrastructure. He can direct FEMA to do what it does.

I see only action in May 2016 which was nearly 2 years afterwards .
No. Obama issued the order in January (you quoted it yourself) That was about 3 months after the scope of the problem was beginning to be fully understood. The order was acted upon immediately. You are looking at an update and extension of the order.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join