It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorbachev Calls Iraqi Elections “Fake”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev called the Iraqi parliamentary elections a profanation.

In an interview with the Interfax news agency, he said the elections are “very far from what true elections are. And even though I am a supporter of elections and of the transfer of power to the people of Iraq, these elections were fake.”

www.mosnews.com...

“I don’t think these elections will be of any use. They may even have a negative impact on the country. Democracy cannot be imposed or strengthened with guns and tanks,” the agency quoted Gorbachev as saying.

We can only speculate whether Gorbachev speaks from the heart, or the perspective of disgruntled arms dealer no longer enjoying fruitful endeavors between Russian/Iraqi Saddam regime days. Could the Nobel peace prize winner be right? Was the Iraqi elections fake?

[edit on 1-2-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It sounds to me like someone is trying to get back into the headlines again

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well they are in the USA so what make's Iraq any different.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Or maybe hes speaking as a former president with undoubtable connections to the Ruissan intelligence aparataus that apparantly has large numbers of agents fielded here in the US and abroad? I would think ties built during his presidency arent so easily severed after he left so I would imagine hes privy to a hell of a lot more than the average US citizen is. Might not be the wisest thing to discredit his words so soon as a play for attention...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev called the Iraqi parliamentary elections a profanation.

In an interview with the Interfax news agency, he said the elections are “very far from what true elections are. And even though I am a supporter of elections and of the transfer of power to the people of Iraq, these elections were fake.”

www.mosnews.com...

His words are just plain, simple honesty.

He's not seeking attention, just stating it like it is.

Kode had it right, how can the US hold truthful and open elections for Iraq when they had the biggest sham of an election in all of history...twice...in a row.....

X

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Anyone is entitled to an opinion. In the case of Gorbachev you know there will be more behind it than flippancy and that it will get an airing in the media.

The linked article does not go into why Gorbachev has called the election fake, at all. It would be useful to dig further to see what is behind that.

Iraq election watchers: who won, and what policies did they stand on, and who came second, and what policies did they stand on, and who came third, and what policies did they stand on, etc?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
He is just upset that the US controls the Ukraine now. Go back to bed Gorby, and wipe that thing off your face, man.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
hmmmm,...sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I has assumed the election in Iraq would of been fixed anyway.
I believe they are still counting the votes now. I am aslo very interested in MaskedAvatar's questions.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Or Gorbachev could simply be getting as senile as our own Jimmy Carter.

Question: If Gorbachev had said the elections were legitimate, would we even know he'd said anything? Didn't think so.

[edit on 2/1/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What does Gorbo know about a democracy in the first place. Maybe he and John Kerry should start there own country since neither seem to get it.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ha! The irony.

Remember Aghanistan, Mikey?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
ATS members attempt to divide themselves neatly on preconceived ideas and positions once more.

For analysis of the Iraq election processes these are a nice start:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com... (Vote For Food scandal, and the widening gorge of partisanism)

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Come on, Syntaxer. Open the box and read the lid. First, you disenfranchise the majority of your opposing faction's members using 'criminalization', terror, assassination and what have you. Then, you begin 'registering' so-called voters. Say ten people register. Now you print a 'ballot' for 'slates' that you, the Roman Emperor, have picked for subverted loyalty. Now you lock down the country, and 'vote'. Seven people show up at the polls after driving in chariots for 500 miles. You claim a 70% turnout. Wow! Then you celebrate your victory. It was that way when Julius ruled Arabia, and its that way today. 'American' hasn't meant 'democracy' since George Washington replaced Deganawidah. Whadda ya expect, boyo

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Gorbachev is not the only one in the world with this opinion., Check out this thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The yanks cant even hold a decent election.... let alone hold it for another country.
How can someone vote for a leader, when there being bribed with food, being told there going to be attacked, and not even KNOWING who to vote for..

It will be VERY interesting who wins..
I can already see the headline now
' Iraqi's believe vote didnt count '

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Hold on tightly...we may be seeing history, as the wheels continue to turn.

As Russain Ill-will will build towards the middle-east with this blatant stab...Keep an eye on the situation, as what I see happening may be just a paranoid twitch.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well legally any country that is under occupation by a foreign power which under goes forced electoral process is ruled not valid. Take a look at what's happening in Iraq. Maybe Gorbachev isnt that crazy after all.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Like Gorbachev has lots of experience with fair elections from being Soviet Premier! Sheesh...

Whatever you say of these elections, they are by far the fairest ever held in Iraq and the Middle East as a whole. After the constitution is written and the insurgents are defeated, the quality of the elections can only improve.

Criticism of this election is just sour grapes from people who won't concede that Bush has done anything good for Iraq.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Whatever you say of these elections, they are by far the fairest ever held in Iraq and the Middle East as a whole.

Do you realize that Iraqis are actually forced to vote or they won't get their food rations. Seems like a forced American Democracy to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join