It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Osborne to become editor of London Evening Standard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Former Chancellor George Osborne is to become editor of the London Evening Standard newspaper, in a surprise move that has angered opposition MPs.
The Tory MP said he was "thrilled" to succeed Sarah Sands, who is leaving to edit the BBC's Today programme.
Mr Osborne, who is to edit the paper four days a week, intends to stay on as MP for Tatton, in Cheshire.
But he is facing calls to quit politics altogether, with Jeremy Corbyn calling the appointment a "joke".
The Labour leader said he wanted an immediate by-election in Tatton, the seat Mr Osborne has represented since 2001 and is due to be abolished at the next election.

George Osborne to become editor of London Evening Standard

I should be surprised by this appointment, as George Osborne has no previous Journalism experience, but where there is money to be had old "Georgey boy" is there like a flash.

Speculation surrounds his appointment, with some claiming it's a publicity stunt for an ailing paper, some say he is positioning himself to attack Theresa May over Brexit, whilst others believe he is chasing his dream, as he always wanted to be a Journalist, but was turned down for a place on The Times trainee scheme, after graduating from Oxford.

Personally, I believe he has had his time in politics, despite only being in his mid 40's and he should resign as an M.P. Regardless of what people say, there is a conflict of interest and he needs to do the decent thing.

I don't expect him to though, as he is as far removed from decent, than anyone can be.

edit on 17/3/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Maybe he's finally found something he can be good at, or maybe he'll balls this up too.

join