It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Trump forced to apologize for UK wiretap comments.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Dear - is it now?

:-)

Best argument you got? Fake news indeed

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
handshakegate

nypost.com...

ewwww he looks pi$$ed

Oh, doesn't look like much, some reporter wanted a picture of a handshake. I am not sure either of them actually heard it.
Give CNN a few minutes though and the US and Germany will be on the brink of war. After they got caught on the fake apologygate, they'll need a new crisis.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Dear - is it now?

Best argument you got? Fake news indeed

What is it you are arguing?
Let's start there and take it slow so you can express yourself properly.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

handshakegate

nypost.com...

ewwww he looks pi$$ed

Oh, doesn't look like much, some reporter wanted a picture of a handshake. I am not sure either of them actually heard it.
Give CNN a few minutes though and the US and Germany will be on the brink of war. After they got caught on the fake apologygate, they'll need a new crisis.

Yup and Trump knows it.

He really can't stand the press.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

handshakegate

nypost.com...

ewwww he looks pi$$ed

Yup and Trump knows it.

It's been a bad day for CNN.. Hannitygate and Apologygate, both highlighted as fake news. Maybe they will take a deep breath and settle down till tomorrow. Three humiliations in one day might be too much even for them. At least Rachel Maddow will be breathing a sigh of relief that some focus has been taken off her humiliation.
edit on 17/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What is it you are arguing? Let's start there and take it slow so you can express yourself properly.

LOLOLOLOL

Nope - you felt you knew enough to insult me - you find your own way out

Dear

edit on 3/17/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

LOLOLOLOL

Nope - you felt you knew enough to insult me - you find your own way out

Dear

Out of what? Being right that there was no apology? Why would I want to find my way out of being right?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
LMAO at your unnamed "Mrs May's spokesperson".
The only absolutely official statement was released by GCHQ, and it denies solely that the UK was asked to spy on Trump, nothing more, nothing less.
The statement does NOT assert that Trumps specific claims were untrue.

You may wish it and prefer spin to actually posted official statements but that says more about your critical thinking than anything else.

link   
Perhaps I missed it, but can anyone link to the "formal apology"?

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Perhaps we should remember the next time some ridiculous Fox News story or Youtube video making insane claims is touted here as fact ...

If we can't personally verify that a report is valid, then it isn't valid.

Personal verification is not required.
How about actually seeing someone involved in the story saying something, or actual attributed quotes in print (even for unnamed sources)?

Well, the articles I read did have that. Which article are you pointing to that didn't give details on sources?

If we're going to drill down to his level of specificity, that's important.

As a bare minimum I look for an unnamed source said "....". Note the speech marks.
That is the lowest level, which I am still inclined to not believe, but at least look further into.
Then I want to see a position quoted as a next level.
It gets real for me when I read the opinion of a named person.
It gets concrete for me when I see that named person quoted - in quotes.
Then the best is I actually see that person with my own eyes saying something.

I also make sure I layer in context before jumping to conclusions and of course I want to see confirming documentation on claims regardless on whether I am 100% certain someone actually made a claim.

Anything that says an unnamed source, or an official said [whatever]... with no quotes, I dismiss it as fake news until proven otherwise with subsequent evidence.

I have not always followed the above (and sometimes lapse), but this climate, in my view, demands it.

So, which articles are you referring to? So we're not just waving at the air?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

And I guess a simple statement can't be taken at face value when you can play this game with it.

Stop already.
They didn't spy they weren't asked to spy. The UK has denied trumps claim and no amount of tap dancing around words is going to change that.

And funny how trump threw it back to judge Napolitano in his presser with Merkel this afternoon. . He can't own up to anything. I didn't say it he did...yeah sounds like he's behind that statement 100%. We need spotters for all the mental gymnastics going on.
edit on 3172017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

handshakegate

nypost.com...

ewwww he looks pi$$ed

Yup and Trump knows it.

It's been a bad day for CNN.. Hannitygate and Apologygate, both highlighted as fake news. Maybe they will take a deep breath and settle down till tomorrow. Three humiliations in one day might be too much even for them. At least Rachel Maddow will be breathing a sigh of relief that some focus has been taken off her humiliation.

Yes, I'm sure CNN is reading your assessment here and quaking ... LOL.

Seriously though ... I've been following this all day as well. To my knowledge, the same article has been under discussion from CNN (that has been updated to reflect Spicer's direct quote).

I don't believe the essential wording has changed substantially throughout the day:

Earlier in the day, however, a senior administration official told CNN that Spicer and national security adviser H.R. McMaster offered what amounted to an apology to the British government for Spicer's comments on Thursday, when he cited a Fox News report that said British intelligence helped wiretap Trump Tower during the 2016 campaign.

CNN

The phrase "what amounted to an apology" has been consistently used (at least in my recollection.)

Now, however, we know that, unless Mr. Spicer is off on his own, Mr. Trump has directed that the official line is now "no apology, we were only passing along news."

Which is fine, when the President of the United States "passes along news" that has no basis, no evidence, and has been officially denied by the parties concerned ... AND the party concerned happens to be our oldest and closest ally in the world ... what does that say about this Administration?

I guess Trump summed it all up this afternoon "Go ask Fox News." Apparently, Fox is now the official mouthpiece of the White House.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Perhaps we should remember the next time some ridiculous Fox News story or Youtube video making insane claims is touted here as fact ...

If we can't personally verify that a report is valid, then it isn't valid.

Personal verification is not required.
How about actually seeing someone involved in the story saying something, or actual attributed quotes in print (even for unnamed sources)?

Well, the articles I read did have that. Which article are you pointing to that didn't give details on sources?

If we're going to drill down to his level of specificity, that's important.

As a bare minimum I look for an unnamed source said "....". Note the speech marks.
That is the lowest level, which I am still inclined to not believe, but at least look further into.
Then I want to see a position quoted as a next level.
It gets real for me when I read the opinion of a named person.
It gets concrete for me when I see that named person quoted - in quotes.
Then the best is I actually see that person with my own eyes saying something.

I also make sure I layer in context before jumping to conclusions and of course I want to see confirming documentation on claims regardless on whether I am 100% certain someone actually made a claim.

Anything that says an unnamed source, or an official said [whatever]... with no quotes, I dismiss it as fake news until proven otherwise with subsequent evidence.

I have not always followed the above (and sometimes lapse), but this climate, in my view, demands it.

So, which articles are you referring to? So we're not just waving at the air?

Lets start with CNN.
You can still pick up the threads of what they said - even though CNN overwrite their articles (smart on their part to cover the amount of rubbish they have to correct):

Washington (CNN)White House press secretary Sean Spicer flatly denied Friday that the White House apologized to the British government after citing an uncorroborated Fox News report to allege that a UK intelligence agency spied on President Donald Trump at the behest of former President Barack Obama.

Earlier in the day, however, a senior administration official told CNN that Spicer and national security adviser H.R. McMaster offered what amounted to an apology to the British government for Spicer's comments on Thursday, when he cited a Fox News report that said British intelligence helped wiretap Trump Tower during the 2016 campaign. "I don't think we regret anything," Spicer told reporters at a gaggle Friday afternoon.

Asked by CNN's Jim Acosta if there was an apology by the administration to the British government over the matter, Spicer replied, "No, we were just passing on news reports." Earlier Friday, a White House official told CNN that McMaster spoke with his British counterpart on Thursday about Spicer's comment. The official described the conversation as "cordial" where McMaster described Spicer's comment as "unintentional." McMaster also told his counterpart that "their concerns were understood and heard and it would be relayed to the White House." The official said there were "at least two calls" from British officials on Thursday and that the British ambassador to the United States called Spicer to discuss the comment. "Sean was pointing to the breadth of reporting, not endorsing any specific story," the official said.

White House officials later told CNN that it was British ambassador to the US Kim Darroch and Sir Mark Lyall Grant, national security adviser to Prime Minister Theresa May, who "expressed their concerns to Sean Spicer and Gen. McMaster" in two separate conversations on Thursday. "Mr. Spicer and Gen. McMaster explained that Mr. Spicer was simply pointing to public reports, not endorsing any specific story," one official said. Spicer spoke to Darroch face-to-face at a White House St. Patrick's Day event, according to a British government official, who described the meeting as "serious" in tone and said it was not cordial.

red = bullsh** until proven otherwise (in this case is was proven as BS)
orange = could be true, requires verification
green - likely true

Let's also remember the headline on CNN earlier today "I am Sorry"... bullsh**
The narrative created from this story scored a 10 on the BS radar and it was quite obvious when no official apology came that it was made up and sensationalised in a headline for political purposes.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Oh well .

My memory is good enough to go back to this morning .
Where they said trumps full of it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Then 90% of all news is Bull until proven otherwise.

Since you want to "peer through" and see what actually happened, I have this suggestion.

Trump was busy with Merkel all day. When he got back in, he found out that actual diplomacy had been accruing in his absence and that more knowledgeable people were desperately trying to repair the stupidity of reading a unsubstantiated Fox News article making wild claims from the White House podium. Unlike Trump Tru Believers ... most people recognize that when the White House does that they're endorsing it.

So, this afternoon, Trump sends Spicer back out to reverse all that and say clearly "no apology was offered."

That doesn't negate what was reported to CNN through their sources earlier in the day which was documented with names, etc.

You're assuming that to be true, but you don't know ... and your bias in this particular area is well-established.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The moment is gone UK

Everything I meant to say is in that first post of mine

And, as my dear departed pappy used to say: I don't chew my cabbage twice

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Oh come on. How easy would it be for either party to say that didn't happen.
Isn't that a risk if that's fake news? Wouldn't Spicer be on tv right now saying I didn't apologize it's a lie???

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Then 90% of all news is Bull until proven otherwise.

Since you want to "peer through" and see what actually happened, I have this suggestion.

Trump was busy with Merkel all day. When he got back in, he found out that actual diplomacy had been accruing in his absence and that more knowledgeable people were desperately trying to repair the stupidity of reading a unsubstantiated Fox News article making wild claims from the White House podium. Unlike Trump Tru Believers ... most people recognize hat when he White House does that they're endorsing it.

So, this afternoon, Trump sends Spicer back out to reverse all that and say clearly "no apology was offered."

That doesn't negate what was reported to CNN through their sources earlier in the day which was documented with names, etc.

Doubling down on fake news. Yes, you can go there if you like. I've leave you to that speculation though.

What we actually know:

Neither party involved ever said there was an apology.
Spicer says there was no apology - in public. You are suggesting that there was an official apology that he just recanted in public. I don't think so.

At some point you have to put down the theories that 'keep your argument alive, and just move on.

As for 90% of news is Bull until proven otherwise - I'd say that is about right, at least in the world of political opinions.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Trump forced to apologize? Sounds like this thread has a fake title.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

handshakegate

nypost.com...

ewwww he looks pi$$ed

More fake news.

Trump gave her genuine warm greeting and handshake previously.

m.imgur.com...

He does not follow orders from the press to stage a phony handshake photo op like a trained chimp,

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join