It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Just Declassified Dozens of Nuclear Weapons Explosions and Put Them on YouTube

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just the first explosion alone made me go HOLY S**T!!!!!

In a quest for Cold War military superiority, the United States detonated more than 1,000 nuclear weapons. Government researchers blew up many of the bombs on the ground and others in ocean atolls. Yet as threats moved into space and concerns about fallout increased - material that's sucked into a blast can become radioactive - the US exploded 210 of the terrifying devices high in the atmosphere.

Films of the blasts, made from 1945 through 1962, were analysed then locked away in high-security vaults. It's likely no one has seen the footage for decades. But now, after more than 65 years of collecting dust, the US has declassified 750 of the high-speed films for the first time - and released dozens of digital scans on YouTube.

First one is called Operation Hardtack-1 - Nutmeg 51538 posted below.

First video

Here is the entire playlist

Here is the article that took me to it

When I saw the first video this is what I thought of. Language and sound warning!!

edit on 16-3-2017 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Nice,

Little Kimmy should watch these and think.... they did this 50-70 years ago.. .what the hell do they have now!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Nice. Pause and return to the first second of the vid and you can see details about the events.

S&F

ETA: Some of those burning the sky for as much as ten minutes is just unreal.

edit on 1632017 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

These explosions make the Tropic thunders explosion look like an m80 firecracker

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

We already have a thread, here:

Link

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

That looks so very cool.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This video happened to be released the same time Baby Kim has been making some noise.

Maybe it's a message to Baby Kim that if he pushes the button, Pyongyang will become a glass parking lot.

edit on 3/16/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If one bomb results in a HUGE explosion/destruction... why keep exploding them again...and again...and again...up to 1,000 times? Maybe these are entertainment for military Brass, like cherry bombs were for me, once upon a time.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
No other nations tried to sanction us when we were doing tests. And we even dropped a couple over people who couldn't defend against them ....hmmm.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Operation Black Glass......

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Different designs, yields and environmental factors comes to mind.

Miniaturization played a big part in the amount detonated.

That being said, the bomb was seen as a wonder weapon... They considered civilian applications too, like mining with nuclear detonations.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Since I can't comprehend how such a small device can produce such mass destruction, it's a "wonder weapon" in my mind too. Kind of reminds me of how scientists describe the "big bang". All the universe, resulted from a relatively compact mass.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
No other nations tried to sanction us when we were doing tests. And we even dropped a couple over people who couldn't defend against them ....hmmm.

"The strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must."

Perhaps a harsh reality, but the truth.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Nice,

they did this 50-70 years ago.. .what the hell do they have now!

Aint that the truth, 70 year old technology, how has it been refined after all that time.
We wont know till they use it

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Okay so hate to be that guy and all...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Atoms.

In theory the very atoms in your body could be destroyed and release vast amounts of energy.

Basically nuclear fission requires the destruction of larger atoms into smaller ones, fusion is the combining of smaller atoms into larger ones.

Both release mass amounts of energy, the Sun is basically a giant fusion reactor.

In the early days of nuclear testing some had the idea that the reaction could continue to chain-react. In other words, every atom would eventually go nuclear.

Fact is, the early bombs were fairly wasteful with fissile material... I've read upto 94% fissile rate with modern weapons but I honestly couldn't say with any certainty. I'm not a nuclear physicist.

I imagine just talking about nuclear physics is a sure way of attracting the wrong attention...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Operation "Plumb Bob..."
That was a hell of party.
Surprised the neighbors didn't call the cops.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

When I visited Las Vegas ( too many years ago now!) I was told by a tour guide the Stardust Hotel was built with a pool on the roof because a pool-side view of the mushroom clouds was a big attraction...

..and I guess you got an extra special glowing tan too...

So I'm thinking you're not to far from the mark there!

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
If one bomb results in a HUGE explosion/destruction... why keep exploding them again...and again...and again...up to 1,000 times? Maybe these are entertainment for military Brass, like cherry bombs were for me, once upon a time.

Data, my friend, data. You pop one off, you collect lots of data, you make a small change, you pop that one off, you collect lots of data, you go back and analyze it, you design a new type, you pop that off, you collect lots of data. Lather, rinse, repeat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join