It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants are going hungry so Trump won’t deport them

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It's still just food. If they want to buy 1 steak vs. 10 boxes of rice and beans that's their choice. That comes down to market pricing after all. If they don't budget it right then it's gone too fast.

But it's just food. I've never seen anyone buying caviar or anything with food stamps. They can't spend it on prepared food and there are even limits on the things they are allowed to purchase.

Should they only get to eat wheat flakes, peanut butter and crackers all month or something??

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Why is it that when people who discuss this, always refer to the ones who are fraudulent when they are in the minority?
It's never about the people who actually qualify for assistance. The people who are really in need. Can't talk about them. Too busy focusing on everybody who tries to rip off the system.

And everybody wanting to be control freaks telling them what they can and cannot buy. Ugh.

I've had this conversation here for years. I think some folks have greed and the inability to feel compassion in their DNA.
SOS.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: mOjOm

The new budget includes cutting Meals on Wheels.

I saw that. Unbelievable.

While he sits there eating his chef prepared food of choice. Shark steak sandwiches or whatever and cutting the meals on wheels for people who need food delivered for them because they can't leave or are sick.

What f*cking balls that man has. All balls and no heart.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The new budget includes cutting funds to a Sanctuary City that used a small portion of those funds on Meals on Wheels.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's not what I'm hearing. But I'll look into it. It's disgusting any way you spin it. Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Yes, but we aren't talking about theoretical hypothetical nonsense, his pretty direct comment was observant:

How the hell does the article get off just skipping the logic gap of how an illegal gets food stamps?

"Just believe they do, then listen to this piece of news!"

Ya...k...

Even the smallest comment towards how THAT happens would have saved face.
edit on 16-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Because the folks who defraud the system should not be allowed to do so. If there is room for fraud in the system, then it's a bad system and needs to be changed.

Also, explain to me why illegals immigrants are on that system? We have plenty of our own citizens who are going hungry and need to be taken care of, but we end up feeding those who are here illegally creating a burden on the system.

As much as I would like to feed every person in the world, the reality is that we are $20T in debt and coming up on a situation where we decide that we feed our own and act sensibly with our money or we end up not being able to take care of ANYONE.

link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Yeah, but it's not food stamps that put us in that debt.

We could literally have been feeding the entire worlds homeless and hungry if we weren't spending that money on killing them and have more than enough left over. And that's just us too.

But we don't. We could. We just don't.

It's war that costs us trillions of dollars not food vouchers.

link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I saw that. Unbelievable.

While he sits there eating his chef prepared food of choice. Shark steak sandwiches or whatever and cutting the meals on wheels for people who need food delivered for them because they can't leave or are sick.

What f*cking balls that man has. All balls and no heart.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

That's not what I'm hearing. But I'll look into it. It's disgusting any way you spin it. Disgusting.

This is taking place in San Jose. Where of all the money they spend from the Feds a small portion of it funds their Meals on Wheels.

OK, here you go. The funding in question is under a block grant program.

A block means that the Feds give a block amount of money to a muni to spend as they need. In some places, they use part of this to help fund Meals on Wheels, but as you can see:

But does Meals on Wheels rely on government grants to do its good work? There are hundreds of Meals on Wheels organizations around the country, so it's hard to generalize, but overwhelmingly, the groups get the majority of revenue from charitable giving, not government funds. In 2015, for instance, the national Meals on Wheels reported that government grants accounted for just 3 percent of its annual revenues of $7.5 million. Meals on Wheels for San Diego County in California says that government grants made up just 1.5 percent ($68,534) of its revenues of $4.4 million. Not all branches are so independent. Atlanta's group gets 48 percent of its revenue from government grants (none of the annual reports I looked at broke down exactly what level of government or specific program supplied the money). Many of the annual reports don't even break down revenues by source (see here) and others aren't even posted online.

But, because the grants are also block monies, they are full of potential to be wasted and there is lots of fraud and abuse attached to them. Sure, some places use them to throw a bit toward Meals on Wheels, but by and large, that is hardly the majority of the charity's money source and not even a part of it in some areas, and the amount through this source that is wasted or simply goes on to line someone's pockets illegally is far, far greater which is WHY that particular program is on the chopping block.
edit on 16-3-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I see them in the stores buying mixers and junk food with welfare and they pull out money for the booze. They look around and glare if someone in line is watching.

Sure , yeah come in my house and rob me.
Mexicans used to really go after the Italians in LA when my dad was a kid. The males would carry knives, and the females carried long stick needles in their hair to stab people with.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Why is it the individual's choice to buy whatever they want with food stamps, but not an individual's choice to subsidize them in doing so?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

You can't get past "those who defraud the system" can you? Does it make you feel justified to oppose all public assistance to the needy because of those few? Does it help you to feel better about yourself? You're lying to yourself.

If you know somebody who is defrauding the system, report them. If you don't then shut up.

I've read your thoughts on this for years, and I know what you think. I don't want to discuss it with you. You are a closed door and mind.

/done with you ket

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Wow, instantly prepared food. That's covered by FoodStamps right?

I'm worth 200 million and I eat McDonalds, am I a hero?

Granted my clothing looks like a homeless person next to Trump eating his Big Mac on a plane(I get the $1's like normal people). Probably HIS plane. It was probably HIS McDonalds he picked the burger up from. Have you seen Richie Rich?
edit on 16-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

It's war that costs us trillions of dollars not food vouchers.

Irrelevant now, unless you have a time machine? The fact is we're rapidly sinking, we can't take on anymore water. Feeding the millions and millions of illegals on the taxpayer dime can't go on anymore. If the US were a rich nation, I'd love to be able to feed the entire world's population, but we aren't rich, we're the largest debtor nation in history. But hey, let's just keep swiping that credit card, I'm sure there will be no consequences.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

You can't get past "those who defraud the system" can you? Does it make you feel justified to oppose all public assistance to the needy because of those few? Does it help you to feel better about yourself? You're lying to yourself.

If you know somebody who is defrauding the system, report them. If you don't then shut up.

I've read your thoughts on this for years, and I know what you think. I don't want to discuss it with you. You are a closed door and mind.

/done with you ket

You've been done with opposing view points for a long time. So it's hardly a loss. Maybe if you want me to think a little, you'd come up with some new arguments beyond mistaking emotion for logic and reason.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

a reply to: seasonal

I know you probably see me as just some big commie or whatever, but IMO it doesn't matter what someone's status is, you feed them if they need food.

I mean what has happened in your life that has jaded you so bad that you resent someone getting food stamps to get food???

First of all, like it says in the article, it's the kids who are citizens that are getting them not the illegals directly. So they're feeding their family the best they can.

But regardless of that anyway, it's food, they're people, they have to eat too. So feed them.

Maybe it's the fact that part of my family is Italian or something but I was raised where if someone doesn't have food, you feed them. You don't ask about their status or anything like that. If someone needs to eat you feed them. It's just that simple.

I mean most people waste so much food by letting it go bad or tossing it out or something I just don't get how selfish anyone can be to not want to help a hungry person get food. I just can't understand it.

I see people, homeless and otherwise and I'll just buy them food or drinks sometimes. I mean I'm there buying something for myself usually anyway and what's another buck or two for something extra??? It's nothing. It's not like you're taking them out for lobster but guy a hungry person a cheeseburger or a coffee when it's cold out side. That one extra dollar that means almost nothing to you means so much to someone who's hungry.

I tend to agree... I believe illegals should be deported and go the back of the queue for legal entry, however whilst that is in process, you can't let people starve.
I am not sure these people are being refused though, they are just going hungry by the sound of it because they don't want to get caught. That in itself is very selfish of the parents, letting their kids starve because they want to stay illegally.
edit on 16/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I imagine that simply allowing them to buy whatever they want is because there would be no way to prepackage certain things and give them out.

That would be way too difficult to figure all that out and distribute equal amounts of certain items all the time. It's not practical.

Way easier to give them a certain amount of money they can spend and then limit some items. That way they can spend it anywhere.

To do it any other way would waste more money then you'd be handing out.

Plus that money circulation is a benefit for the economy as a whole. That is still money flowing through those businesses. It keeps money flowing in the economy.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80

Wow, instantly prepared food. That's covered by FoodStamps right?

I'm worth 200 million and I eat McDonalds, am I a hero?

Seems like Trump eating McDonald's really has you triggered.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Food stamps aren't an unlimited source of funds. Purchasing high priced luxury items means you will not have enough to last for a month. You are given a monthly allowance, and if you run through it in 2 weeks you are buying food you shouldn't.

They can't spend it on prepared food and there are even limits on the things they are allowed to purchase.

Actually certain welfare recipients are eligible to purchase prepared foods, and there really aren't any restrictions on food you can purchase.

Should they only get to eat wheat flakes, peanut butter and crackers all month or something??

I didn't say that now did I? Though, luxury foods shouldn't be eligible for food stamps.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join