It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: Aazadan
originally posted by: Vector99
A food box system is a simple and viable solution. Let me break it down.
1. It removes choice in the foods you eat.
2. It's still a horrible wage.
3. Employment services don't work when there aren't jobs out there in the first place. Besides, have you ever seen the quality of job these places put you in? They're typically positions with zero opportunity for advancement.
4. Most who are on food stamps are already employed, why should they have to work for the state for food, when they already have a job that's supposed to be providing a paycheck that they can use on food?
5. Public busses don't exist in most areas of the US.
6. What are the homeless supposed to do with this food? They're not going to have access to refrigeration, stoves, or ovens for it.
originally posted by: Vector99
1. When someone else purchases your food, you tend to be left without the option of choice.
2. There isn't a wage. it's community service in exchange for food. 5-10 hours for $400-800 worth of food is a fair wage.
3. There are plenty of jobs available for those that seek them
4. I said 5-20 hours per month, depending on amount needed. 20 hours a month is less than 1 hour per day. If you can't work less than 1 hour per day to get food, you don't deserve food.
5. Seriously? Now you're making stuff up. Public transportation is available almost everywhere.
6. The homeless should take advantage of the employment resource center I said would be included. Then take their food to the local homeless shelter and stay there and store their food there.
originally posted by: NthOther
Quit mooching off of us and go home. Quit lying to everyone and get out.
The selfishness and dishonesty required to do what these people have done is staggering.
EBT is someone else purchasing my food. It leaves me with plenty of choice.
10 hours for $800 worth of food would be a good deal. But unless I drastically misunderstood you, that's not what people would be getting. They would be getting 20 hours for something similar to what is given out now which is about $100 worth of food. If it's an amount similar to what EBT pays, it would often times be even less.
I don't believe you. What's more, I don't believe there are any jobs worth doing. The point of work is to better your position in life, working a dead end job is treading water. I'm not saying a job has to start off paying high, but it should offer the opportunity for advancement and to be a career. Anything less isn't worth working.
20 hours/month if you're getting $100 of food still isn't a good deal, even if it is less than 1 hour/day. Lets say we value minimum wage at $10/hour just to avoid arguments. Should the poor have to work for half that wage for even 1 hour/day just because they're poor?
No. It's really not. In most large cities it is, in some mid sized towns it is. In most small towns, and especially in rural areas where the poor tend to live, there is no such thing as public transportation.
Have you ever been in one of those places? In the past 10 years I've lived in two towns, I've gone to the employment centers in both. In one the center was a building which had newspapers for people to read and look at the help wanted ad's, and a couple computers alongside a printer to type up a resume and print it out. That was it, the computers didn't even have internet enabled for an online job search. That was in the better town. In the poorer town, the one I live in now, the employment center is open for 2 hours per day, has one computer without a printer, no newspapers, and a small bulletin board where stores can post help wanted ad's if they want.
Also, in homeless shelters, anything you aren't physically holding onto will be stolen. If they even have refrigeration in them (never been in one myself, in the one in my old town, you basically got a cot in a room with no kitchen access)
originally posted by: Vector99
That make zero sense, are you the user of the EBT card?
HOURS PER MONTH. Re-read before you go stupid. The benefits of food boxes would be weekly.
Ok, I get it, you are a slacker that wants everything handed to them. Jobs are available EVERYWHERE, and even if they start as a crap minimum wage position, you can always work your way up into management, making it a not so crap job anymore. Do you really think they hire people to fix cars that don't know how to fix cars? You get the same amount of effort in compensation as you put into what you do. Youtube exists, many people could train themselves, but instead they watch cute cat videos.
Show me areas where public transport doesn't exist, I dare you.
Where would this area be? I only ask so I can show you how much BS you are full of.
originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
I feel sympathy for these people, in this day and age no one anywhere should go hungry.
That said if these people came to the US illegally and things have gotten so bad they can no longer feed themselves or their families maybe heading back home to reasses their situation isnt such a bad idea
Not only is it illegal for someone to break into my home and stay here without my permission. It is beyond idiocy to also expect me to feed them or worse...force me to buy them food. It is insanity to then require me to get them medical attention, provide them with a clean living space, allow them to use my bathroom, kitchen and family room. But the real, totally disgusting idea is that if forced against my will to do so...is that this will encourage more individuals to attempt the same upon other American citizen's families.
Where are our leaders? Well...the right and Trump understand this insanity and the pain, harm and financial damage this causes Americans. The left on the other hand, thinks this is just fine and that YOU SHOULD BE REQUIRED to do so. You should take food from your child's mouth and give it to an intruder. The left also, while understanding they are breaking the law, wish to force American citizens to break the law by HARBORING A CRIMINAL. Yes...if you are here illegally you are a criminal.
When a Congressman, member of the Senate, President or employee of the government not only breaks a law, but encourages other to break the law or even worse (looking at you California) force others to break the law...THESE INDIVIDUALS SHOULD BE JAILED! They should also be impeached, fired and banned from government employment.
If you disagree with our laws...work to change them. In the meantime, just as we should prosecute the criminals coming over the border, we MUST PROSECUTE those in power for CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY.
There is no place in our government for CRIMINALS!