It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants are going hungry so Trump won’t deport them

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
For example if you buy a head of lettuce and some other vegetables, chop them up and combine them, you have a salad. That is NOT a luxury.

Well, buying vegetables on a SNAP budget actually is a luxury. They're usually too expensive.

But, I'm simply speaking from the point of view of people who stand behind me in line and yell things at me while I pay for groceries. Pretty much anything you buy, someone is going to tell you is too good for you, and you should downgrade your food. I have yet to figure out what I can buy that people are ok with.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

You are so right. I hear stories all the time how people scam the system, and have been told that quite a few have employees who work for DTA, SSI, DMV who scam as well and take care of their friends. I see the new cars, 3 vacations a year they take out of country to visit their homeland (where they own homes under relatives names) also, where they plan on retiring after they have bilked all the free college they can get for their kids.

It seems to me there is not enough fact checking in these depts which also allows quite a bit of fraud.

People who work, and abide by the laws, should not have to pay for people who lie, steal, and deal drugs, and break laws while collecting checks period.

edit on 17-3-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
A food box system is a simple and viable solution. Let me break it down.

1. It removes choice in the foods you eat.
2. It's still a horrible wage.
3. Employment services don't work when there aren't jobs out there in the first place. Besides, have you ever seen the quality of job these places put you in? They're typically positions with zero opportunity for advancement.
4. Most who are on food stamps are already employed, why should they have to work for the state for food, when they already have a job that's supposed to be providing a paycheck that they can use on food?
5. Public busses don't exist in most areas of the US.
6. What are the homeless supposed to do with this food? They're not going to have access to refrigeration, stoves, or ovens for it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Think about it though, necessary items such as toilet paper, people who get food stamps I guess usually get cash assistance also. They pay retail for a pack of toilet paper. If the Gov't bought 10 million packs, it could probably get them for next to nothing and hand out at the center for free.

My area used to have a program to get a food box. I forget the exact details but they were for low income people only, and you could purchase them with food stamps once a month. I think the box cost $100, and it would have $200 worth of food in it. I participated in it a few times, but ended up stopping when the food prep time ended up not being worth it. I was "saving" $100 but also spending 16 hours cooking the food. It just wasn't a good use of my limited time. For awhile I had a deal going with a friend of mine that liked to cook. I would give him half the food if he cooked it all, but again that was just breaking even, $100 for $100 in food.

The program was eventually discontinued as part of food stamp cuts across the board. I bet some cities/states still have the programs though. Depending on circumstances they can be a good deal.

That said, most who get food stamps don't qualify for cash assistance. Cash assistance is extremely limited and pretty difficult to get. If you don't have multiple children, it's pretty much impossible to qualify for.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Whether you are or not really makes no difference in immigration policy.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

16 hours? What one earth were they giving you and what were you doing with it?

We cook most of our meals and spend a good chunk of Sunday afternoon on cooking, but we make something that becomes leftovers for the rest of the week and then know how to make stuff to supplement that out so that we spend less than an hour on most meals.

Our son usually gets something hot for breakfast even if it means we cook his breafast and it's reheated from an earlier cook.

It's about knowing what you are making in advance and planning how best to use your kitchen to achieve it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's been several years since I participated in the program. As I said, it got discontinued as part of budget cuts.

From what I remember there were 3? food boxes and each person could purchase one a month. As I said, they were a pretty good deal but they were pretty reliant on doing your own cooking. They generally contained stuff like pork, chicken, roasts, etc... lots of meat and cheese, a few frozen vegetables, a couple microwave meals, and some canned food.

Cooking all the meat in various dishes is what took up all the time. For someone who isn't all that good at cooking it can be a significant barrier. Time can be an issue as well, I realize the stereotype is that people getting food stamps are all unemployed and have all the time in the world, but that just isn't the reality for many. They're either working 40 (or sometimes more) hours a week, or like me are busy with school.

That said, I liked the program... at the time I was getting about $200/month in food stamps so for half of that I could get some good cooked meals, and still spend the other half on whatever I felt like. If there were a program like that now, and the food was something I could use my crock pot for (the only "cooking" I have time for) I would do it again. But I would have a big problem with a program that expected me to work to get food that way in place of SNAP. Work as an alternative form of payment would be acceptable, but having the choice to purchase that food, or get something else is important.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Ok then. At least I can see you're not applying some double standard here.

But you should know that it's not just the left pushing this stuff. The left are more accepting of the ones crossing the boarder it seems but there are many on the right who are loving those Visas and never miss a chance to increase their usage too.

In fact it was one of the celebrity Republicans I forget which one now that just increased the limit on them by a lot!! Rubio, or Ryan or somebody. They all look the same to me.

It's somebody who's familiar though.

Thank you! My take on it is basically this. The right (businesses, etc.) hide their criminal activity. The left support, promote and fight for illegals stealing from America.

I go after the obvious and obnoxious first...the rest are easy.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy

originally posted by: mOjOm

How about the people and businesses that hire them illegally??

The rich people that hire them to take care of their kids?? Clean their homes?? Cut their lawns??? Pick their food?? etc.??

They should all be arrested too right???

Don't forget about the corporations that hire them with H1B Visas so they can replace American workers for less money and no benefits as well. They're legal because of the Visas but still putting Americans out of work. It's just a legal loophole so corps can bring in people to work our jobs for less money.

I know your a smart guy i can tell. Probably a good person with a good heart maybe your still young or maybe you haven't witnessed life at the lower end enough to try and take a deep look into this crap.
I notice many people are afraid to look into topics that might put them at odds with other people. They fear being ostracized by people and becoming a social pariah so they try to research topics from the perspective that will make them most liked and wont alienate anyone, group or race ect. It's a nobel cause but it isnt fueled by actual knowledge of the topic in all its forms its fueled by emotions and wanting to fit in.

Truth can be ugly, mean, racist, sexist, xenophobic or any other type of liberal buzzword you can find and when you cant confront the truth because it's a buzzword or the truth might confirm a buzzword your basing your argument in your ideology of how you think the world should work compared to how it does. The truth is you should read topics that might go agaisnt your ideology as well as ones that favor your ideology and dont let your emotions and buzzwords get in your way of what you might find is truth.

You bring up a good point. Forgetting for a moment that they are all criminals for breaking our laws. On a general, daily basis a person could look at illegals and say...so what? But when you have lost a 100k job to an illegal that makes 20k...or you are out of work for years and can't even get the "jobs Americans don't want" jobs...or when the grants for collage are all taken by criminal invaders...THEN you may have and see the problem.

And THAT is not rare. It is also an every day occurrence.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Aazadan, I had to laugh at your post. Not at you, just your post.

I have never experienced life-threatening hunger, but I have been poor enough that to have anything to cook to eat was considered a blessing.

If the effort and the time are probative, and fast food is your only choice. You are not needy.

Of course, that is my humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

That was a nice speech. But I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

You're going to have to be more specific for me to get what you're saying. Because what you just said doesn't fit me very well at all. Except for the part about me being a smart guy.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You know, you and I don't always see eye to eye. But I can respect a man for his own dedication and honestly about the position he chooses. Even if it isn't always the same position as I would have chosen.

I may have to change my opinion about you now.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Lol busy with school. Man I went through school and school is the easiest part of life. And people work 40 hour weeks and cook meat all the freaking time. Anyway no surprise to hear a beta liberal thinks school is tough or 40 hour weeks and cooking meat challenging. lol for real boss.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Lol if they are green card holding and not committing crimes they have no reason to stop their routine

a reply to: seasonal

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
First of all I get so sick of paying for all the free loaders in the world. Since when did we become the babysitter for the entire world? We have citizens of this country who need help, and they should before those who broke the law and now get rewarded by living of the US. taxpayer.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AppreIron
Lol busy with school. Man I went through school and school is the easiest part of life. And people work 40 hour weeks and cook meat all the freaking time. Anyway no surprise to hear a beta liberal thinks school is tough or 40 hour weeks and cooking meat challenging. lol for real boss.

Maybe that's true for easy majors. I'm in a difficult one, and not too bright to begin with.

At the time I was referring to though, I was at an easier school in an easier program. I was taking 24 credit hours per quarter there, contrasted with the 12 I take now... though that 12 has far more homework.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Aazadan, I had to laugh at your post. Not at you, just your post.

I have never experienced life-threatening hunger, but I have been poor enough that to have anything to cook to eat was considered a blessing.

If the effort and the time are probative, and fast food is your only choice. You are not needy.

Not that I eat much fast food, but fast food has the best dollar to calorie ratio you can get. If you need to keep your body fueled, it's the way to go. Home cooked meals are a luxury.

If you have to know my eating habits now though, I eat once per day. It's either something I make in my crock pot, which is cheap and delicious, or the school cafeteria which is cheap and not so delicious.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Maybe that's true for easy majors. I'm in a difficult one, and not too bright to begin with.

At the time I was referring to though, I was at an easier school in an easier program. I was taking 24 credit hours per quarter there, contrasted with the 12 I take now... though that 12 has far more homework.

I had pretty tough major then went though law school. School is a joke. You need to step it up. Again though I am not shocked a person like you would advocate for the democrat party. Get your life together.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I had pretty tough major then went though law school. School is a joke. You need to step it up. Again though I am not shocked a person like you would advocate for the democrat party. Get your life together.

Where did I advocate for any party?

Btw, law school has a 20-40% dropout rate, my program has a 92% drop out rate. I remember when I thought school was easy... not all schools are created equal. Even in the same subject, different schools can vary wildly in difficulty.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

(post by AppreIron removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join